Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
5th Airborne Sidewinder

We have a new 3400RL on order which will be our first experience with 5th Wheel towing. I have a short bed Silverado 2500 and am planning on getting the 5th Airborne Sidewinder coupler for the 3400. My question is do anyone have a recommendation for the 5th Wheel hitch? What will work best with the Sidewinder or does it matter?

k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This is just my opinion, but I would forget the Sidewinder and go for the Superglide 18K hitch. Here is a link to the hitch, http://pullrite.com/superglide_18.htm I have the 16k Superglide and not having to worry about the truck and coach hitting while cornering or jack knifing is priceless. I have no experience with the Sidewinder, so my opinion is solely based on 15,000 plus miles of towing with my Superglide. In reviewing the Sidewinder from the website, it does not specify a specific hitch is needed. I like the automatic locking mechanism that Pullrite offers on the Superglide and Super 5th hitches. Congrats on your new 3400RL!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
w0nsa

M.O.C. #7074
Send a message via ICQ to w0nsa Send a message via AIM to w0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to w0nsa
That was one of the options our dealer showed us today, however they mentioned something about a special plate that has to be mounted to the pin box and that if we had mechanical problems and someone else had to tow our trailer somewhere for us, that could be a problem unless they happend to have the SuperGlide hitch in their truck as well. Is that true or can the trailer still be towed by anyone even with the special capture plate installed?

And thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!
w0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Your dealership is partially correct, Pullrite makes an adapter for the Superglide. The adapter creates a new kingpin that any standard 5th wheel hitch can tow. I have one and cost was approximately $110 for the adapter.

Here is a link for the adapter that will better explain how it works...
http://pullrite.com/pdfs/3336Conversiondaptor.pdf

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by w0nsa

however they mentioned something about a special plate that has to be mounted to the pin box and that if we had mechanical problems and someone else had to tow our trailer somewhere for us, that could be a problem unless they happend to have the SuperGlide hitch in their truck as well.
That WAS true. However, I just had the 18k SuperGlide installed on my truck, and the adapter plate actually mounts on with 4 allen head screws. In the event of a break down, I can easily remove the adapter.

I highly recommend the Superglide.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:22 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I`am getting the 5th Airborne/sidewinder installed april 24.This is the one that also has the shock and air spring.My hitch is a 16k resse.The sidewinder is made for a big selection of hitches,so that shouldn`t be a problem for you.This pin box is kind of like a 2 in 1 deal.Your getting the advantage of the 5th Airborne in regards to ride,and also with the sidewinder part their will be no need to get out and slide a manual hitch.From what i`am told the "Pullrite"is a wonderful hitch that people just rave about.But their is other options as well.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
Thanks for all the great information! Our dealer mentioned that they are having an "Open House" event on May 5th and that a rep from 5th Airborne would be there to demo the Sidewinder and provide additional information. There will also be other company reps there as well, hopefully someone from Pullrite too that way I check out their hitch at the same time.
k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
rwzman

M.O.C. #6111
I am thinking of installing the sidewinder on my 3400rl. But keep in mind that even though Lippert is installing these pin boxes on the new Montanas they will void the warranty if you have it installed as an after market device.
rwzman is offline   Reply With Quote