Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
Capindad

M.O.C. #6802
Chips and Air

Has anyone added an Edge Juice chip and/or larger air intake to a 6.6 duramax. If so, was there a possessive improvement to millage and pulling power?

Capindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I'm using Hypertech. Was a great improvement on the 2003 D/A. Have not pulled any distance with same equipped 2006. Will see how it goes this summer.
BTW, You have stepped into one of the most incendiary topics on this forum. Here come th opinions -- maybe run to several pages or more.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Check with a Banks dealer for a air system. DO NOT use K-N air filter on a diesel. I think there was a service bulletin on that . It has to do with the oil that you use in the filter messing up some sensor. There has been tests run and K-N dose not filter as well and when the turbo starts moving air the stock replacement will suck in and by pass the filter. Do the research before you do anything.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I am curious where you got the info on the kn filter as i just put one in and it fill the whole can and is the size of a pail. who is the service bulliten from??
bobbert
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Blarkman: Stepping into the red hot coals here ... I dunno about the sucking in of the filter, but about any legitimate diesel forum or seminars at outdoor sports shows will try to steer you away from K&N type filters when used on daily drivers. (Unless it's a K&N rep) I have no doubts that K&N flows better than your stock filter, but it's filtering ability for an everyday driver is not very impressive. Sure you see them all the time on off road and pumped up trucks ... these engines get torn down regularly, so a litle dirt injestion isn't an issue ... with a daily driver it is an issue. Think about it ... basically wrapped gauze with a little oil to help trap particles ... I had that technology on a 54 pickup with the oil bath air cleaner. I do run a K&N on my boat and jetskis with no worries ... you just don't run into too much dust trying to blow all the water out of the lake! Ha! Donnelson and Delco Remy have filters out now that have comparable flow characteristics and a heck of a lot better filtering capabilities. No offense intended, just an educated opinion. Digging in for the barrage ... Dieselguy
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 AM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Go to dieselplace.com for research on K&N and other aftermarket filters. Stock filters have best flow and do best job of cleaning. Tests were performed by an independent lab.
The bulletin warning against use of K&N due to oil is from GM. The oil film gums up an oxygen sensor . The bulletin said if you have one to use very minimum oil. I had a K&N on my 03 d/a and went back to stock after reading the bulletin. Negligible difference noted without sophisticated instrumentation.
Dave
Old 04-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Diesel guy said it all. I have the Ford AIS system and it has a Don nelson filter in it. Seeing you have a GM product it was GM that had the service bulletin about the oil on the sensor,so if you have a dealer the knows there stuff they should be able to show it to you. It was posted on this form so look in the pass posting and hopefully you can find it there and let us know.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Diesel guy, got yer six. I put a K&N on my 2004 Duramax thinking that I would get better air flow and cleaner air. WRONG!! After having to pay for a new air mass flow sensor because it was oiled up, I had a long and interesting talk with a diesel mechanic I have known for years. No. 1..he had a set up that measured actual air flow, and my original air filter actually flowed 10 percent more air than the K&N. Surprised is not the word. No.2..He also told me that adding the 4 inch exhaust would provide a minimal improvement in exhaust flow on the Dura, that the 31/2inch stock was more that adequate to clear the combustion gasses from the cylinders.
K&N has great produsts, ran a pair of the cone filters on a 2300cc VW engine I built with Dual high flow webers and could lift the front end off the ground with it. You could actually hear the air going through the filters!!!
No 3.. He told me that chipping the engine would ruin my warranty that the onboard computer remembers? the chip setting and previous fuel and air settings. Not worth it to me, as I still have 68000 miles of warranty left on the engine and tranny. MOre than enough power in that 6.6 to tow anything you want.
Just my opinions, and the knowledge of my friend of 30 years...
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I forgot to add that the sucking in of the filter is the stock flat one on Ford. I do not know what Dodge and GM uses. The cone one I think dose not suck in, but still dose not do the filtering. I know this is a can of worms but these are things that have been posted. I use a DIABLO[spelling?]chip. I have been happy with mine. If you check with Banks on the air system also check on there chip. Banks make good products as others out there.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Rickety, you are right--it was the mass flow sensor that got gummed up. Seems my brain is also getting gummed up -- especially the memory part Probably need to do a better job of filtering my beer..
Dave
Old 04-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have the Edge juice chip with the attitude digital gage. I can see maybe one mile more a gallon. The trans is much tighter and has less slippage. I only use it in #1 position towing the Montana. Its worth the money even if I had only the EGT gage. Don't leave home with out it. I also heard that about k/n filters years ago. I had one in a F-350 and changed it out to an other brand. I haven't changed out the air filter on this one so I can't answer your question. We average 12-13 towing the Montana on I-95 at 65 and without 21 MPG at 60. I don't know if it would be worth the 250-300 to change it out.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
well we did open something on the kn air filter,but shud say i am running 2004 qc 3500 diesel and have 48000 miles on it. installed filter in yuma last month and drove home to oregon via winnimmuca at 11.7mpg north to burns 11.9 from burns over the mountains to lebanon and by driving at 1700 rpm acheived 12.8 which i was impressed with. i also purchased new montana 3000 and had it loaded. I did find on turbo diesel register the article in question and it does concern GM diesel pu. lots of pro and con onthis one.
bobbert
Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
OPPS FORGOT TO MENTION I HAVE A DODGE!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I use the new ottomind from banks and the ram air filter. The ottomind is designed to defuel to keep egt's down. It also has an alarm that will warn you. It works so much better than the hypertech I used but the cost is more. There is also the pda that works with a palm pilot, no need to install gauges because it is all on the software you install in the palm pilot. You can also store contacts, music and photos. The ottomind has an economy level that will better fuel milage 3 or 4mpg depending on how you drive, and it works.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #15
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Go to diesel place.com good info aboute air box testing i used aem air filter & removed it , went back to stock box it filters better
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I'm sure not one to voice an opinion on this subject. My only comment is to say that right after I bought my Silverado 3500 in December, I got a letter from Allison Transmission that said that the use of any after market chip would void the warranty on the transmission.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not run anything on my truck for two reasons: first, it does such a good job towing every trailer I have put behind it, I cannot justify the additional cost. Secondly, I am not willing to give up my 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. To each is their own...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I used the K-N filter on my F-250 Powerstroke for over 5 years and have not experienced any problems. Having read the negative comments on some forums, I decided to change to the original filter. Engine performance seems to be about the same with a slight loss in miles per gallon.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Had a KN filter on my used 2002 GMC 2500HD. After reading WAY too many warnings in Dieselplace.com and other places, I changed it out with the original, which the dealership I bought my used D/A from let me have "in case I wanted to switch back". Mass air flow sensor and oil don't mix.

I am wondering about the minimum Banks tuner to ease into this arena. I have no experience...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 AM   #20
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
If you chip up the engine to give you more power, you had better look into changeing out a tranny torque converter which bears the brunt of all this new power.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote