Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Question on towing a car.......

Just throwing this out there, I am well versed on frame warranty, and will consult with an engineer, as well as my fellow Monte members.
I know some boats are towed, anyone tow a car??
Sue wanted me to ask if anyone has towed a car, how much do the boats weigh that some of you tow??
Her Escape is around 3250# saw that weight on the 'net for a '07, (Haven't checked the tag on hers)
Part B; Can you triple tow in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas??????

OK let me have it
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

Two things to consider-

Total weight may exceed your hitch and even the pin/box frame rating, not to mention the truck itself.

The stress is from the side turns on the frame, and not so much straight down the road (per MIMF2). Side turns dragging that little car around to keep up with the backswing on that 3400 puts a lot of side twist on the frame, which is the weakest point. Crossmembers can't take too much of it, even though your hitch may actually strengthen that part.

Our boat is over the 3,250 you mention. Didn't have any problems with our 2955, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have. Won't consider it for the 3400 because of the extra length.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I can see a boat towing much easier Brad - no front wheels to try and slide sideways on those turns like you said. Something like a dolly with even a light car on it would have to be pretty tough on things.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, you can triple in Kansas so long as one of the hitches is a fw/gooseneck type hitch. However, Kansas has a 65' total length limit and you'll likely run afoul of that law. Although I towed triples for several years, all within Kansas, I do NOT recommend it. I never had a "problem" but always felt I was on the fine edge of control. I was under control but it would not have taken a lot to change that in a hurry. I did have to make one emergency maneuver on a two-lane bridge with one lane partly closed for construction and some **** coming the towards me pulled into my lane thinking he could force me to slow to let him through. I had some serious maneuvering to do along with hard braking but we made it. It was about that time I decided triple was not worth it. Not for me, anyhow.

As for weight, Jim, in the above example I was towing a 25 1/2 ft. Jayco Eagle 255BH fifthwheel (6,600 lbs). I had an automotive 5k (or is that 5500?) trailer hitch installed. I was towing a 19' BassCat Pantera II bassboat with 200 Merc O/B. Trailered weight was 3860 lbs with full fuel. Total combined length when hitched was 64' 10".

Jim, you may find it far more comfortable than I did. But I sure cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

This is not a very good picture but at least shows you the length with just a 25' fifthwheel. Now that I know the model is not the real length, maybe it was 27 foot.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I know Bill and Helen's friends Pam and Smokey tow a Ford Explorer behind their 40' Teton Homes. I have also come across a few other 5th wheels out there that have SUV's towed behind them. Growing up in South Dakota where it is legal to double tow, I have had many friends parents who towed their boats behind their 5th wheels. I am talking 4,000 to 5,000 lb boats...

Ozz,
You would have to buy a MDT to tow your coach and a vehicle, no LDT could handle the GCVWR of the two.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Another concern is brakes for the vehicle towed. Some states require a braking system on the towed vehicle, I am not sure about Kansas Texas or Oklahoma. I used an inertia system when I towed my Jeep with my Class C.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the Escape will not be able to make the trip.
Thanks to you all for helping.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I have a friend who is a ex-neighbor who is going to tow triple from Eugene Oregon to L.A. He has a 06 F-350 CC,dually 4x4 with 4:10 gears towing a 39' Cardinal and behind that a 2007 Ford Focus with 5-speed. He thinks he can tow triple in Oregon and I disagree. Overall length seems iffy and maybe over-weight also. He has about 23,500 GVW I think, but he will cutting that close.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My concern was not with stopping. My boat trailer had surge brakes. Twice I blew a tire on the boat trailer (single axle) and didn't even know it until it was pointed out to me. I could not see the boat back there. It never swayed, at least not enough I could see it. I followed the scratch mark on the concrete highway after setting up in the rv park and found the remains of the tire. I had towed with no rubber on that rim for almost 6 miles. Another time was 4 1/2 miles according to the highway patrolman who pulled me over to let me know of the problem. He was behind me that distance and I couldn't see him. It took that 4 1/2 miles to get out of the construction area to where he could come around me. I don't know why he didn't use the siren. Maybe because there was no place for me to pull over anyhow. I was running about 55 mph at the time.

My concern is with maintaining control during emergency maneuvering. I had to do that once and was fine but it scared me enough to get me to stop towing the triples.

This is just my opinion. I won't pass judgement on those who choose to tow triple. I just hope they don't have any problems.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote