Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
They got one over on me...

Well, many complain about the quality of all rigs and I've got one about my 10 year old Montana.

I was checking for why my galley tank in the center of the rig was leaking and would sometimes drip water when the tank gets full. I'll leave it at that and will talk about what was needed to get to the tank for a looksee.

I lowered the spare tire and removed the spare tire assembly under the rig to gain access to remove all the screws holding the plastic undercover to the frame so I could look at the tank.

While doing this a bunch of plastic came down from the spare tire cable assembly where one uses a wrench to rotate a long bar to move the cable that holds the tire under the rig.

I found this whole assembly was never manufactured correctly. There is a combination of cable, guides, supports that upon examination look like they should lower or raise a wheel/tire into the storage position. Since I've had the rig and raised or lowered the tire for spare usage, tire condition checkups, etc. I always wondered why it seemed to be more difficult or not as smooth or took forever. I use a furniture mover, would position it under the tire, then lower the tire, release it from the cable, then roll it out for use, but it took longer than it should have, but did work.

This time (after 10 years), I found a need to look close and find this whole assembly was crap. Plastic pieces every, the supports not in place correctly so that eventually all this stuff is breaking apart.

I am angry that a factory worker should have noticed this subassembly was NOT correct and it never should have been installed. They probably saw it, but since this is seldom used and by the time anyone could have noticed, the warranty period would be far from over.

Lucky me, it's now my dime to pay something to get this fixed and get it working right and smooth. Sure, it works, but it could be a whole lot better if I get the right parts and assemble it correctly. I think I will only be able to get the WHOLE assembly at a high cost. Maybe a visit to an RV junkyard is in the works. Anyone know of one in Southern California?

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like another case of buying from the low bidder and never checking before it's installed. The way the line moves there isn't time for anyone at Keystone to see if the part works or not.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The crank assembly that has the cable and little foot that goes thru the center hole in your wheel can be had from Lippert (or a vendor of Lippert) for about $70 last time I replaced one. 2 bolts ... a roll pin or cotter key and it's loose from the crosframe and drive shaft. You can buy the entire assembly, but your 10 yr old spare tire frame is probably a bit stouter that what is made today. You can try one off a pickup from a salvage yard, but the input shaft never seems to be in the right place.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Carry the spare in the pickup bed, forget the carrier. Best I got. John
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although some people seem to fear underbelly tire carriers, I've had good luck with them. I have always used a ratchet strap around the tire and the carrier frame just for peace of mind. Not a fan of pickup bed nor front storage compartment tire storage. Takes up too much room or sticks up too high.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm with DieselGuy in this.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge Maybe a visit to an RV junkyard is in the works. Anyone know of one in Southern California?
You can try Walts in Fontana, North of I-10 Off of Valley between Cherry and Sierra I believe. They are somewhere in that general area. Try Google you might find some others close to your travels.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the Walt's reference. I went there for weird parts on a prior rig, I forgot about that place. It's huge and has just about every one-off you can mention and in volume, too. Amazing place, just far from the places we full-time

I would prefer carrying the spare there cuz it's the best place on my rig, and I don't have room in the truck for a large spare.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Thanks for the Walt's reference. I went there for weird parts on a prior rig, I forgot about that place. It's huge and has just about every one-off you can mention and in volume, too. Amazing place, just far from the places we full-time

I would prefer carrying the spare there cuz it's the best place on my rig, and I don't have room in the truck for a large spare.
Art I suggested Walt's because I thought you had mentioned at one time running between Temecula, Menifee and then farther North. Wow does that make sound like a stalker???? I hope not I am just real familiar with those areas and I perk up when I read about places I know. I'm sure there are plenty of other salvage yards around your vicinities.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:02 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
No faith in the OEM tire carrier so we use a ratchet strap across the tire and frame in a couple of directions for real good measure.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:24 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is something we picked up from this forum back when we purchased our 2006 3400. we inspected it for proper installation and also do as DarMar above .We also strap our 3402.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:16 AM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
again something thats not right and we have come to accept it as thats the way it is. I don't get spending a lot of money on an RV and being so complacent with the workmanship. Do you all do the same with the spare tire under your pickup, ratchet strap it up for fear it might fall off. I think not.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Big 3 automaker's spare tire carrier isn't made by Lippert ... the same outfit that makes our frames and slide mechanisms ... do I see similarities here???