Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #21
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
We'll have to give it a shot next time we are out. Probably this fall. This winter we are headed to the desert for a couple of months.

I see Molly is a Doodle too. Both of ours are Mini Australian Labradoodles. About 25 & 28 lbs. Don't you just hate when they get those cockleburs caught in their hair??

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also highly recommend the Shafer Trail but recommend you start at the top (near Canyonlands) and work back down to near Moab. It's much easier that way. Plus, it's a single-lane road for much of it and I'd think it not as much fun to trying to pass while going uphill.

Also, within Arches NP, highly recommend Willow Flats Trail, a 4wd trail we did several times in our 4x4 2005 Ford. After you take it from one direction, turn around and go the reverse. It looks entirely different.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
gelswick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12367
Sreigle,

We are storing our RV at OK RV Park in Moab for the winter. That way we can continue were we left off when we get back.

thanks for the tips!!
gelswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #24
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
and we await your arrival! all is good and RV is safe.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's a couple of pictures of the Willow Flats Trail in Arches and a one of the top portion of Shafer Trail. Also the toughest part. You can see why I recommend starting at the top.

This is the toughest part of the Willow Flats Trail in Arches. It is not as tough as it looks. We did it with a pure stock 2005 Ford F250 4x4.

This is the top part of Shafer Trail. It starts near the entrance to Canyonlands and ends on the road following the Colorado river west out of Moab. Yep, that's the trail zigzagging down the mountainside.

Last is a shot of one of the hairpin curves on the Shafer Trail. This is by FAR the worst of the trail, at least the day we drove it. It's not difficult, just slow. Don't let this picture scare you off. This was taken April, 2006, I believe. I know it was early April.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
gelswick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12367
Looking forward to heading back to Moab around the first of March. Am so ansy now I am trying to figure out a way to not work and just leave now.....
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #27
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
cya soon! safe travels and all remains OK!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #28
gelswick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12367
Back again!