Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bee Problem

In the area of the country where we have our home base, we have a bee problem. There aren't enough bees to pollinate flowers, fruit trees and gardens. So I guess I will become a bee keeper or at least one hive. Plans for building a hive can be found on the internet.

I had a hive of bees when I was a kid. Kept the hive behind the house in the city. We had all the honey we could use. Never had problems with the neighbors.

Bees are important to our eco-system, so I am building a hive. When finished, I will populate it with very mild and calm Australian Bees. Aid with pollination is the primary goal, but the honey will be good.

Now, I just need to figure how to pull the hive behind Monty.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
With a verrrrrrry long rope!!!!
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Very interesting you mention this. There was a program recently about a commercial bee guy that moves his bees around the country to help with crops, and his bees are disapearing and they cant find them. From watching the program this can be a large problem for producers. You may have seen this program, certainly was enlightning, and informative. Bees are very important to the system, as you said.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Stiles
If you can figure how to pull the hive behind the Monty, you will always have the whole campground to yourself. Won't have to worry about neighbors, you won't have any.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Stiles, not everyone has a bee problem. We always had 5 - 6 hives as a kid growing up. Yep always had honey. When renters moved in they killed the bees. Dad was beyond upset, he threw them out. They moved out in 3 days. Yep 1st renters told Dad that they thought the bees were wild bees. He couldn't believe their stupid answer and showed them the door.
Did you ever see wild bees in a commercial hive? Next renter understood that the bees were not wild and don't mess with them period. They were treated to some of the harvested raw honey.
Things we remember. Our bees were native caught when they swarmed in the woods. They were a healthy lot until uncaring people came around. If you don't know ask. If you don't understand ask. If its not yours don't mess with it.

When you get your hive going post back with general info. I would be interested in following the new process.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Stiles,

Can you bring your bees over to my garden? I guess I need to plant some flowers in my bucket garden to attack the little buggers. I have some tomatoe plants doing well, but have some bell peppers that aren't doing well. Thinking the tomatoe plants have been visited by the bees, and the peppers are being passed by. Mother nature is so funny. I am fighting a fire ant colony right now in one of my buckets. I am bucket gardening and using swimming pools....to old to start a garden in the ground. I had a large organic garden in our other property that we sold last year. I am now in buckets and kiddie pools. Hate to use any type of chemical, but thinking that I might have to pull out the calvery to get rid of the fire ants.

The bees are so important to us. I have a love hate relationship with them because I am allergic to their sting. So little bees please come visit my garden early in the morning

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The reaction of your father's renter is not atypical. There are those who think that the only good bee is a dead bee. They think that bees will attack you. They see no difference between bees and wasps or hornets and further more don't want to learn the difference.

With the exception of the Africanized bees, honey bees won't bother you unless you mess with their hive or get one in a tight spot. The hive I had as a kid were so tame that I could stand beside the hive with my hand on top and watch the bees come and go without concern.

Dianna reminded me of when our daughter was age 5. She would stand out by a waxed leaf ligustrum in full bloom and covered with bees and talk to the bees. Later, disturbing a wasp nest in the shrubs got her stung. But she knew the difference.

These Australian bees I plan to populate the hive with are about the gentlest bees available. Sometimes they are referred to as "stingless bees". Most of the fear of bees is based on irrational assumptions due to a lack of knowledge. Of course, if you know you are allergic to bee or wasp venom, like driftwoodgal, then you would want to stay clear.

Old Dude, you are right, it is a very big problem for agricultural producers. Pollination of plants is necessary for maintaining our food supply.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote