Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
joe_castor

M.O.C. #8381
Generator add-on

I have a 2006 Montana 3475 and would like to add a generator. There is a "notched" place in the front storage area (batteries, slide pumps area). Are there recommendations for adding a generator? If so, what kind? What type of fuel and where is (are) the fuel tank(s) placed? Any other insights?
Thanks
Joe Castor

joe_castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Joe, first thing is your Montana Generator Preped? I don't know how to tell, maybe some one here can advise. If not the cost get real expensive, and you may be better off getting a Kipor or Honda non-installed unit.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If your Monty is generator prep-ed there will be an aluminum box on the left side of the batteries and hydraulic pump. There will be a automatic crossover switch and probably a remote control switch in the bedroom closet.
Most generators on 5th wheels are propane powered if their are installed where I mentioned.
You can price the ONAN 6500 and then get an installation estimate from Camping World or an RV dealer.
I hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I agree with Rogue.

If your Montana is equipped with Generator Prep - the intended design primarily focuses on installation of an LP fueled Onan like pictured here. The Generator Prep can be identified by a tin shroud on the curb side of the front cabinet that serves as a heat shield (shown in pic below), an automatic transfer switch (Iota) located on the firewall behind the battery, and a 4X4 box with two red push button breakers mounted in the blue face plate (shown in pic below at very right lower corner). If none of that is there, then you don't have prep and would be steps ahead just going with a portable generator.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
joe_castor

M.O.C. #8381
Thanks for all your replys. Now I need to go check to see if the prep is installed (and I'm doubting it at this point).
Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
When we bought our 2002 Montana in 2001, we were told it was "generator prepped". All that turned out to be was a template on the bottom of the front storage that was to be cut out when installing a generator.

We took it to a shop and they did the actual "generator prep" for us and installed the generator. We have an "Micro-Quiet" Onan propane generator and we had them install the on/off switch inside on the wall next to the stairs going up to the bedroom. I love not having to go outside when wanting to start-up the generator, especially those times when I am boon-docking by myself and want some power at night. Plus I wouldn't want to scare the neighbors if I go outside early morning in a nightgown to start up a generator.

The only problem I can think of we have had with a propane generator is when the kids were teenagers and they would invite some of their friends to go boon-docking with us. They would leave outside lights on all night and the next morning the entire rig would be dead. As a safety precaution, the propane shuts off when the batteries go dead and there isn't enough juice to start up the generator to charge up the batteries since our generator is electric start.

The two or three times this has happened, I called AAA Road Service to come out and jump the Montana. I never tell them it's a RV until they arrive. I have had tow trucks drivers say the service doesn't cover a 5th wheel so they write it up as the truck needing the jump.

Anyways, we both love having the propane generator installed and we don't have to carry another type of fuel since the generator draws off of our propane tanks. One less thing to worry about running out of.

One other thing we can think of if you do have a propane generator installed is to ask about having the compartment noise-insulated and the generator installed with whatever they can do to make it less prone to rattling when in use.

Our "Micro-Quiet" Onan is not "Micro-Quiet".

Margee.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
joe_castor

M.O.C. #8381
Thanks Margee for your input. This is exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Joe,

I think Margee was being sarcastic. IF your 2006 Montana was equipped with the generator Prep option, you will have the transfer switch and pushbutton breakers already installed in the forward compartment, a heat shroud already installed in the front compartment that isolates the generator from anything else in the compartment, and an Onan Start/Stop switch and hour meter in the front closet.

All Montanas have the template, whether they were equipped with the generator prep or not.

I installed my Onan myself, and all I had to do was cut out the template, bolt in the generator, connect the harness to the two breakers, connect the start switch harness to the generator, bolt on the muffler and tailpipe, and connect the LP from the pipe plug intalled in the line for the generator prep. I ran no wiring - it was already done.

Generator prep is a $700 option, so I assure you it includes more than that template. The problem is that if you don't have the Prep, it is much more expensive to retrofit it in after the coach is already built.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
...bsmeaton..... Nope, wasn't being sarcastic.

It's exactly how our "generator prepped" Montana came to us. We did buy it off the lot, it wasn't one we ordered from the factory.

We even contacted the dealer and the factory after we took the Montana to the shop to install the generator as the shop gave us the real low-down on what they had to do to prep and install the generator.

We had been sure the shop was trying to nail us for lots of money when we got their quote of the installation, but the dealer and the factory said our unit was what they considered "generator prepped" back then.

Either way, we paid to have the whole "kit 'n caboodle" done, and we love having an installed generator that runs off our propane tanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - it must have been different back in 2002. Our first prep ordered unit was a 2003 2955RL and we got the benefit of a mid year change that included a taller roof and taller basement, allowing us to go with a bigger Onan than anticipated. The 2003 and 2007 came with all the hardware I discussed.

I'm with you on the convinience! I even added remote start so I don't have to run up to the bedroom. I actually start it from the Truck to "pre-cool" the rig on those hot Nebraska days arriving at the lake.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I hope this is not a dumb question but certainly could be.

Our early 2003 was generator prepped just as Brad describes. But...we decided not to install an on board generator. The reason was two fold, the first being $$$$$ those on board Onan's are expensive. The second was space and weight. Our Sky was made just before they closed the old factory & went to the new one. Hence we have the shorter basement and the second step up in the bedroom. Dick says compared to the new dropped frame version our basement is more like a glove box.

Sorry back on topic here. We ended up tearing out the firewall/heat shield, (I think that's what it is called) for the added storage space in the front locker. We removed nothing else. Is there a way to connect our off board Yamaha generator with this prep? We have the switch in the bedroom as Brad described.

Also while on the topic of generator, has anyone used the optional kits that are available to make the Yamaha or Honda generators propane driven (probably not the right wording again. ) It sure would be nice not to have to carry three different kinds of fuel.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Patty,

If your Sky was like our Montana the prep has one pushbutton breaker on the 4X4 box (30A). You can add a cord and female receptacle right there to accept the output from your Yamaha. The transfer switch will automatically switch sources from the rear shoreline to the generator when it senses power incoming from the generator.

I don't think I would recommend running the Yamaha in that front cabinet without proper exhaust, but you could certainly plug in up there by adding that receptacle.

I don't know nuthin about the LP conversion.

I remember standing on the lot in 2003 looking at a gray full body paint Big Sky custom ordered by the Dealer that I wanted so bad I could taste it! (looked like the Cambridge a little) It was just too long to put a boat behind, so we ended up with the 2955RL Montana. The Montana had the step too in the bedroom and the safe was under the step. But when ours actually came in, the step was gone and the safe was in the closet. Alas, we decided to not triple tow anymore so I ran down to the Dealer in the fall 2006. Not only was the big beautiful gray Big Sky gone - ALL Big Sky's were gone .
Old 04-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We had wanted to put a 5000w in the front storage space but the dealer and factory were pretty adamant that the largest we could get was the Onan 3600. As I mentioned before, our Montana is considered a 2002 but we bought it in June of 2001. Now when I see newer Montanas, I am amazed at the amount of room they have for a generator. We like to boondock a lot so our next Montana will also have a propane generator, but definitely a larger one.

It does seem that what was considered "generator prepped" when we bought our Montana and what "generator prepped" means now, are two different things.

Anyways Joe (Castor), good luck. You'll be one happy camper when you do get a generator.