Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Flag etiquette?

I know that last year Ozz was very good about pointing out ragged flags and having them replaced at various businesses in Texas. That being said, I have a question for anyone that can give me the answer. While we were in Texas we saw many times at various places the Texas flag flying with other country's flags, including the American flag. Is it not proper flag flying etiquette to NOT fly any flag higher than the American flag. Is it not also wrong to fly a flag to the right of the American flag? We saw a Mexican, Canadian and American flag flying with a Texas state flag. All at the same height. In a row. This was in Brownsville. Isn't that totally wrong? I spoke with my granddaughter about this and she indicated that in her Texas history class they teach that the Texas flag is the ONLY flag that can fly at the same height with the American flag. Could someone please tell me if this is really the wrong way to fly.....thanks.
Sandy

slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This should answer your question. "Flag Etiquette"
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy,
I have not looked at John's link yet, but your daughter is correct in the fact that it can be flown at the same height as the US Flag. But so can all state flags flown on a separate pole. On the same pole the US Flag is on top. I believe that the "codification," for the US Flag states that when multiple flags are flown, The US Flag will be in the Center. Example: US Flag, Texas Flag, POW/MIA Flag all on different ples. The US Flag will be flown in the Center, Texas on the right of the US Flag, and the POW/MIA flag on the left. (This is the US FLAG's own left and right so the perspective is reversed if you are looking at it. Another Example is if your are flying the US Flag on an automobile and another flag. As you sit in the Auto, the US Flag will be on the right. As you look at the Auto from the front, outside, the US Flag will be on the Left. Lot's of motorcyclists get this one wrong.

Now I'll go look at John's link.

From the Texas Flag Code: Texas State Flag

§ 3100.055. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE OR FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAG
OF UNITED STATES. (a) If it is necessary for the state flag and
the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole
or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
(b) If the state flag and the flag of the United States are
displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
(1) the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or
flagstaffs of the same height;
(2) the flags should be of approximately equal size;
(3) the flag of the United States should be, from the
perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
(4) the flag of the United States should be hoisted
before the state flag is hoisted; and
(5) the state flag should be lowered before the flag of
the United States is lowered.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, § 7.001, eff. Sept. 1,

Edited: Here is the Government Printing Office Documentation (A Government site)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Of course, it has also been published that should someone do something that is not in keeping with the "codification" guidelines for the U.S. Flag, that the "G-Men," or "Flag Police" will not be sent out to enforce the guidelines. Private citizens however, are a different matter. In other words, and very, very unfortunately, it is not legally enforceable. So when someone is burning the flag and you jump in and whip the crap out of them, you will go to jail for assault. They will collect $200!!!!

Edited: The part about them collection $200 is tongue in cheek. It is when they finish suing you.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I thought that the American flag was always flown higher (not just on the same pole).
And it sounds like any state's flag can fly at the American flag height. Not just Texas'.
I appreciate the clarification I knew that I could get answers here. Thanks, Wayne and John.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a wacky neighbor who, some years ago, flew the US flag upside down outside his house as a protest against paying income tax's. The local Police payed him a visit.don't remember if he was cited or not. The IRS did get him for not paying Income tax....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
There are special provisions for the Texas flag, dating back to when Texas became a part of the United States. They were an independent republic prior to that time, and there are several interesting provisions in the treaty that established statehood.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
According to Snopes and Wikipedia, the Texas flag height is a myth/urban legend. As a native Texan, I hate to give it up as false, though. Most of us are VERY proud to be native Texans and take great pride in our state and heritage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Texas
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

Here's something else I ran across that's interesting:
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote