Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Black and White

Black and White
(Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.

Pull a chair up to the TV set,

"Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet."
My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom use to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I use to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in icepack cool ers, but I can't remember getting e.coli

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then. The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE.. and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym)
instead of having cross -training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now. Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym. Speaking of school, we all said
prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a cap and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations. Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spankedNow it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home. I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?
?
W e needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive? LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T- SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I remember those days.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Me, too!
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Tom maybe if Chet & David were still around we would have a better analysis of the news. Better info back then not the "show" of todays news.
Great reminders for our generation.
as it was said "Thanks for the memories"
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
One thing I'm thankful of for today - I'm not towing Desi and Lucy's trailer. Like my Montana.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! Yes! The good ole days. I remember them well.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
What Waynem said..........
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ditto everyone!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Been There Done That
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
And kids on average were NOT overweight because they rode their bikes everywhere... with no helmets. When school was out for the summer, you'd be gone on your bike all day and your parents never worried. If you weren't riding your bike, you were climbing trees or playing hide & seek, football, etc. Whatever you were doing, you were almost always outdoors.
The only time you sat in front of the TV was after dinner. There were 13 channels on VHF and a few channels on UHF.
If you did something wrong, you got a spanking from your mom. If you did something really wrong, you waited for dad to come home and he took off his belt and used it on your behind!
There was only one phone in the house, and it was mounted on the wall. The first two digits of your phone number were letters. If you picked it up and heard the neighbors talking to someone, you hung up and tried later. A long-distance call was something rare and special, like a call from Grandma and Grandpa on your birthday.
Your mom used to buy stuff from the bakery truck that would come around the neighborhood once a week. The milkman delivered your dairy products. Mom bought meat at a meat market. Remember the smell in there? The man that drove the ice cream truck was clean cut and spoke English.
Your school had regular drills on what to do in a nuclear attack.
Police cars only had one rotating red light on the roof. Ambulances were made from modified Cadillacs and they had the same single light on the roof, too.
To fly on a jet was something special that you got dressed up for.

Andy
Son of JVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

One thing I'm thankful of for today - I'm not towing Desi and Lucy's trailer. Like my Montana.
LOL!! For those of you who have never seen "The Long, Long Trailer", you have to rent it!!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
Remember when funny cars actually looked like real cars?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
Skip
Established Member

M.O.C. #7808
Don't you also love the fact that no one, I repeat No One has problems anymore. All anyone has now is Issues.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ditto to everyone said.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have seen the Blue Max funny car run many time in Tucson and Bee Line dragway in the 70's. Thinks for the Memory. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Tom that is very true. brings back alot of good memories also my dad had a instant cure for ADD and was not afraid to use it. Hey and no one from social services came to talk to him strange huh LOL. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote