Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Transition

Six month’s on the Island with it’s unique culture, fashions, beach bars, Island foods and laid back lifestyle was very easy to get used to.
We are now in Boerne (pronounced Bernie) for a while, adjusting to the entirely different atmosphere while we explore, talking to the locals, seeking out homes on the market and just really getting the ‘feel’ of the place.
The downtown area is by the river, (Cibolo Creek) with antique shops, a nice park; (one of 9 in town) areas for people to meet, and relax. There are nice benches on the sidewalk where men sit and talk over the days events while the wives seek out that bargain they came to town for.
The roads are a different animal all together, everyone is in a hurry, driving fast, a ‘lookie Lou’ like myself has to do a lot of pulling over to do so they can hurry by.
The big thing here in the area is Ranch living, acreage in the hills. Big trucks with massive brush guards on the front of them zooming up and down the Hill Country roads.
I saw an unlucky Javelina, ‘Tango Uniform’ along the side of the highway. That one won’t be invading anyone’s property. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary
My dark tan, t-shirts, shorts and Crocks are not the norm any longer, it seems a pair of Levi’s, ranch shirt, boots and one of those wallets with the star on the top that sticks out of your right rear pocket about an inch and a half, is ‘where it’s at’ now. I must get with the program, but, I sure am comfy in my present attire, I may have to work into the new duds gradually.
Everything is big here, after all, it is Texas. I went to the local Ford dealer to get my truck’s oil changed today, I saw some neat brush guards there, but I held off, got to work on the Levi’s first. They gave me a pager to carry, as the dealership was 2 stories tall, they must have lost some customers in there before. I wandered upstairs where this immense leather couch was, flanked by two big leather chairs, I sank into one of the chairs and looked with envy at the three foot long Plasma flat screen TV. I’m starting to think that I should have asked how much that oil change was going to be…….
No more names like Blue Marlin supermarket, Dorado’s Baja Bar and Grille, Cap’n Roy’s, Pirate’s Landing. Now it’s Nelson City Dance Hall & Party Ranch, Hungry Horse restaurant, and My Hill Country Restaurant. I saw a clothing store named ‘Sassy Spur’, probably don’t want to get my new duds from there, this is Texas Hill Country, not San Francisco after all……
I do miss the Island, but this area is just pretty nice. I’m thinking 6 month’s here, and then back to the shorts, Crocks and Beach Bars. Not a bad plan, eh?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Ozz: Don't forget your can of chew to put in your rear pocket.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! yes, I did see some of those too.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We lived in the hill country for five years long age and far away. Two of them were on the Comal River in New Braunfels. Swimming in that spring fed river in the summertime was an experience. Water was 67 degrees year round. Lots of fond memories of the Canyon Lake area too.

There is a great canoe day trip down the Guadalupe river from Hwy 281 near Bourne, to near New Braunfels. We did that the first time when the boys were small, one in mom's canoe and the other in dad's. What a hoot!! The test of our marriage was when the two of us got into the same canoe.

You will like the hill country.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Stiles. Good memories last for a reason.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Maybe you could get a job with the Chamber of Commerce - you really do have a flair for writing!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Ozz, Boerne is a neat place we were there in 2005 we stayed a month in San Antonio and went to Boerne several times. My DW's Cousin works there at the Ford dealership as a Salesman. The dealership has a awesome waiting area. He tried to sale us a Ford of course, we are GM only. I think the area is great, I agree you must were Jeans and Boots, but I always were Cowboy boots when in certain areas of Texas. We like all parts of Texas, since Rving we have spent many days in Texas. We Love being called Winter Texans. We will go thru Texas when we go to Branson in June. Our Son works in Dallas but doesn't live there lives North of Dallas. Read all you post Ozz, thinks for your time. GBY....

P.S. I almost forgot, I did put a Brush guard on the Dually but
it was Chrome. Wish I had one now we have lots of Deer here.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, that hill country is pretty, but I'll stick with the shorts and crocs (got the boots, just in case we decide to do a little two steppin'). It gets hot down here, but there is always a breeze. We're used to the hot summers. East TX usually sees at least 30 days of 100* plus temperatures and lots of that with little breeze. We'll be moving down by the water's edge next week. Be able to fish and crab right behind the RV.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Like your style, Ozz. You don't sound in a hurry to get back to KC country?!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chris, I just paid for another 4 days, no hurry at all.
We are going to look some more at properties, also, I will investigate the largest Burrito in Texas,
FREE, if you can eat it in 30 minutes. If you can't, it will be $39.99, pay at the front register, please.
Sounds like there may be a story there.....
Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ozz,
Does that burrito come with Scotch Tape?
Hope so.
With Scotch Tape, you can just tape it on where you want it to appear and not have to wait for the "fat" effect.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ozz I am happy you all are enjoying Texas. Texas is a great place to visit.
Why don't you all mosey up to Branson next month?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Would like to, but we have back to back commitments.
Have fun there and enjoy Branson.