Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
In years past I ran no more than 68 most times I ran 65. I am now going to run 60 in most states and 55 in some. Just doesn't make since to waste all that fuel running the higher speeds. I still say if you hit those congress men in the place it hurts and tell them in writing and then when your in the voting booth do it. I will try and find out how my congressmen vote on the fuel bills and will not vote for them when they continually waste money. Just look at those who are in office who have been there all their lives, they have never worked a day in their lives. Vote them out of office and try someone else for a change. This country is in trouble, and we can make a difference. For example get rid of the Tree Huggers and the EPA. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #22
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Good point, Murph!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
According to the evening news the independent truckers appear to be serious about a shut down. We doubt that it will have much effect but I hope for their sake and all the folks who will be directly affected that their effort will have some effect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree if it works your grocery store shelves will be empty, but I don't think it will have much effect on most parts of the country. All your large Grocery chains have their on fleets. Now if you could get the Tankers to shut down thats another story in it self. The Tankers can shut the whole country down. But I wish them sucess in what their trying to do. I am a X-Truck driver who still has a active CDL Class A. I know exactly what they are going thru. Most heavy Trucks Class 8 types fuel mileage is 6 to 9 mile per gal pulling 80,000 lbs gross and carry up to 300 gals of fuel on average some more some less. Try putting on 250 to 275 gals every other day? My Prayers and heart is with the Truckers. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #25
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Today's CNN news at noon had a short blurp on this - guess a bunch of independents are already pulled over. Spokesman that they had on TV said that he planned to be down about a week (maybe more); that they didn't want to hurt anyone but that they needed Congress to pass a bill that was before them allowing the fuel surcharges already being charged to be passed through directly to the trucker. Didn't realize it until I just looked it up but it appears that the companies can charge it but don't have to pass it on unless negotiated that way.... lot of legaleeze in the article I was looking at but it didn't seem to be fair to the trucker. (What else is new with businesses????)

Oh well, we'll see if anything really comes of this.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #26
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sure couldn't tell it in WV, I never noticed any shortage of trucks today on the way home from work.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
What we really need are candidates for office that can articulate a policy to make us self sufficient. It will be tough at first. Slowing down traffic will save fuel, as will higher taxes that could be used to fund research into things like coal gasification. Once we're self sufficient, what do we need from the Middle East? I think we already have enough sand.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well according to the big oil companies today..High energy prices are not their fault..It's that other guy..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #29
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I saw an interview with a local independent trucker on the news here in Denver last night. He described his latest trip from Denver to Albuquerque, ElPaso, someplace in the norteast, and back to Denver. He was paid $4100.00 for the trip, and it cost him $3200.00 in fuel. I don't see how they can continue to operate like that.

And while we're on the subject, why is Diesel fuel more expensive than premium gasoline? It's basically crude oil with the big chunks strained out!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote