Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Fuel for TV

I've got a question, I was talking to a couple that were here at the Beaver Creek RV Resort, next to us. They have a 3500 Dodge Dually.She told me to make sure when I bought one to get the early 2007 and not one manufactured after spring, that it would not run on the low sulfur fuel and would lose a lot of its power? Has anyone out there had a problem with the new low sulfur fuel? This thursday a fellow from Portland Oregon is coming to see and test drive my 1940 ford deluxe coupe. This might be it, we will be able to buy a TV. and hit the road. Thanks for your opinion and imformation has been valuable. Randye.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Sounds like an urban legend. Hard to believe. Haven't heard any such news.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I believe they are misinformed, all 07 model trucks (except Chevy Classics) use the new ULSD.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I had the opportunity to test drive a new 2007.5 Dodge 3500 DRW with the new engine and 6 speed automatic -- done this past Saturday. Very nice, very powerful. I have an 06 Dodge 3500 and I didn't think the new engine / vehicle was any quieter than my 06 but I did notice more power from the standing start. Seemed to not have the turbo lag of my 06 and it the road is wet at all, it will break all 4 rear tires loose from the asphalt without any problem at all (did it by accident; gave it the throttle I'm used to on my 06 and whoa nelly - away we went!!) Very sprite. Vehicle only had 30 miles on it so can't speak to economy but at 70 MPH it was turning just a hair over 1600 RPM per its tach, my 06 with 3.73 rear gears turns almost 1950 (2000 rpm gives me 73 mph indicated). So, I would expect the lower RPM to translate into better economy on the road. Last thing; traveling from Kansas to New Mexico I've not found any stations that do not carry the new ULSD (15PPM) fuel required by the new engines. I don't think that should be a problem in the lower 48; have read some posts where folks have indicated a problem getting the right fuel in Alaska and Mexico but, again, that is only what I've read.

Best wishes on your decision.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They may be referring to the fact that there are a few 2007 Dodge trucks with the 5.9L diesel remaining for sale. Those will run on either the ULSD or the older LSD diesel. However, before too much longer it may be difficult to find the older diesel and all of the diesel engines will be burning the new ULSD anyhow.

We just bought the new Dodge with the engine updated for the new diesel. The 6.7L diesel. I can tell you it doesn't lack for power. I drove the Dodge, the GMC, and the Ford and that Dodge will blow the doors off the others. No offense to the others. Many here know I'm a Ford fan and have been for many years. Still, drive that Dodge. It's the only one that will squall both rear tires from a full throttle stop and that with no turbo lag whatsoever that I could detect. Acceleration 0-60 impressed the heck out of me. That was in a one ton 3500, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Think with some of us the concern is about the availability ULSD everywhere we want to travel. Think it has been fairly well established that ULSD is everywhere in the US by now. Most of Alaska and Canada have it, but not all of it. In Mexico PEMEX has promised that it will be available, but no one can say for sure exactly when, so if you want to take your diesel TV to Mexico, it needs to be able to use LSD. We lucked out in a way when our '99 F-350's tnx was destroyed by the the Banks Smart-Loc and we replaced that truck with a '06 Duramax which can use either ULSD or LSD. Many early '07s had/have the same engine as the '06 models and can burn LSD and probably that was the reason for the recommendation.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote