Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Think the EMS/Autoformer install is figured out

We took the 3400RL to the dealer today for the trade-in and the new 3750FL is in the service bay getting additional installs performed on it. I did get a good look at the electrical supply system since every access panel was opened to facilitate the satellite system hookup. I thought the 3400 was daunting, but this critter is going to require some definite planning and engineering for the hard-wired EMS install as well as the Autoformer. The shore feed goes beneath the desk into the breaker box panel so that is where I focused my attention. For those unfamiliar with the floor plan, the desk is the foremost object before the step-up to the front of the rig. This means that all electrical and plumbing coming into the rig is accessible via an access panel in the basement pass-through that just so happens to be under the desk. I am leaning towards extending the electric feed from the shore panel though the basement into the battery box area. This is where I will install the Autoformer in the same manner as I had it in the previous rig. I prefer a stand-alone install with plugs that I can disconnect when needed and still have through feed on the electrical. The Autoformer will be equipped with male and female 50 amp plug and receptacle to accomplish this. On the return feed to the breaker panel, I will hardwire the Progressive Industries 50 EMS beneath the desk area and on the inside of the access panel wall. This will allow me to route the digital readout to the inside of the desk area. I will post photos of the before, during and after project details for those who are interested. I am wondering if I am going to be the guinea pig for the 3750FL electrical protection installs or if there is someone out there in MOC land that has not come forward yet!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Bingo, on our 3500RL, I installed ours behind the fuse/circuit breaker panel. There was just enough room and plenty of extra wire, so I could pull both panels out of the way without having to disconnect them. Plus there was lots of extra incoming power wire, so I didn't need to buy any extra to wire in the EMS.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That would have been possible on the 3400 as well Tom, but the 3750 is a mucho different animal. After I get the rig in hand, I will be able to post some pics so all will truly understand what they have done in the small space that is available. The electrical system and the water pump are all crammed into a space that is about 8 inches wide and about 18" long. The only saving grace that I can see is that at least there is some vertical room that will allow me to cram the EMS into the top of the area. There is no way the autoformer will fit in that area, hence the routing plan to the battery compartment. It will definitely be an interesting project!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Find the FISH yet?
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote