Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
HELP Dual Battery Fire While Rehooking

Please anyone with dual batteries (from the factory) we need help. We had the batteries disconnected and when we reconnected we must have done something wrong because when Ed touched one of the post with the wire it sparked and started a fire. I mean it did not just sizzle, there were flames 5 or 6 inches high. We got the fire out and don't think there is anymore damage but we won't know until we can hook it up again. We were not plugged into AC. It burnt that wire up and fused the connector to the battery post and burnt the insulation off one of the other wires. We need to see a picture or a description of how we hook up these wires again. It was very scary. We have a ground and know where it is. The two wires that burnt we think are the ones that hooked the two batteries together, although now we are questioning why there is two. We have a red (positive) wire running into the unit but don't see a negative.
No Happy Trails today

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue, cannot help you with photos or hookup as we have only one battery. We have never seen TWO batteries come from the factory?? That is confusing to us.

no matter, we are VERY glad it is not more serious. Must have been pretty scary. Sounds like someone had a cool head tho to get the fire out quickly!

Good luck getting this fixed.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Not only that but we decided enough Monty for the day and came in the stick house and Ed put a load of laundry in and washed his cell phone! This is really troubling us because his sister-in-law is at Hospice and wasn't expected to live last week and that number is their contact. It never rains but it pours! Had to come in and have a Long Island!
No Happy Trails
Old 01-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Sorry to hear that things are not going well for you today. I am glad to hear you were able to get the fire put out and there was not more damage caused by it. I also only have one battery so I cannot be of help, hopefully someone will be along soon. Will keep you and Ed in my thoughts as you go through this difficult time.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Sue, we have the duel batteries but it is too dark out to take a picture. We will do the best we can tomorrow to help you. Glad it was no worse. Let's get back to the "Happy Trails"

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Sue,

Sure sounds like you hooked something up backwards. Did you take the batteries out of the trailer or just unhook them?
Maybe one got put back in backwards? Ours has two batteries. They are wired positive to positive and negative to negative.
Red positive wire goes to the circuit breaker mounted on the front wall of the basement and the White wire to Ground right on the steel part of the trailer. Make sure they are wired in paralell and not in series, or you will end up with 24 volts instead of 12 volts. Sounds more like you might have hooked them positive to negative and completed a direct short. The next best thing to an arc welder. Hope this helps.

Take care
John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
It sounds like you must have hooked up the batteries wrong, we have dual batteries two 12v . My batteries are hooked up pos. to pos. and neg. to neg. but someone may come along and explain it better. Sorry about all your troubles, it will get better. Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sue, I am so sorry to hear of your problems and especially sorry to hear about Ed's sister. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Hope things make a turn for the better.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Gosh Sue, but it sure is raining icky stuff around you. OK MOC members, lets send Sue lots of prayers and positive thoughts and vibes. Sorry bout the cell phone and we will keep your sister-in-law in our prayers. Hang in there!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have 2 12 volts on mine and just assumed that all of them did because of the slides. I can get a Picture to you tomorrow if you still need one. Please be very careful as batteries can explode under the wrong conditions. Sorry to hear of your Family problems. God Bless you both, Don.

PS, Your cell phone company should be able to give you that phone number if you can get a hold of them from a pay phone.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Sue: I have two six volt batteries that were installed by the dealer. If that is what you have, I can get you a picture. Hope you guys are OK and I know tomorrow will be a better day.
Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
To clarify - they are 12 volt batteries. Maybe the longer units have them or the 4 slides but this is the way they came. I think we did what John suggested. Now my question is when we try this again - what order do we do this in and does the ground go on last or on first? We did take one battery completely out as the strap that holds the lid to the case had come out from under the case and we were trying to get it back in. Very difficult to get the batteries out - not a lot of wiggle room there. I figured out I can pick Ed's messages up on his cell from my cell.
Happy trails getting better......................
Old 01-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Ed,

Normally you hook up the positive side first, and grounds second. My Red positive wires are towards the inside
anyways so those are the ones I would hook up first. Maybe you should check your batteries and make sure they have not swollen up at all. If they get too hot,the plates inside can buckle, and replace any wires if they look damaged.

Take Care
John & Dawn
Old 01-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well now I am stumped! When I put the battery back in the boat each spring I always hook negative up first and then positive. I have been doing this for at least 9 years but now I am wondering, am I doing it wrong?? Maybe I have been lucky not to blow myself or the boat up over the years, for the life of me I swear that is how I was told to install and hook batteries up. I could be wrong!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Prayers going out, Sue.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Montana Sky,

Nothing is going to blow up if you hook up the Negative First.
When we are working on the buses ( I'm A contactor to a local School board)
If you hook up the Negative first, you have more of a chance of grounding your
wrench to the bus frame or whatever when tighten the positive cable to the battery.
(dosen't matter if the negative is not hooked up).
Some times when the wrench gets grounded doing up the positive cable it can weld itself
to whatever its touching. That shakes you up a bit when the wrench starts glowing red.
It seems to take forever to get some tools to undo the negative cable when you just
welded the 9/16 wrench to the Battery.

Take Care
John
Old 01-21-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Ed & Sue - sorry to hear about your battery problem but glad it wasn't worse. The responses from JH Sechelt are right on about how to hook up and in which order IF (big IF) your batteries are 12 volt. Since that is what you indicated then you should be ok to follow his directions, including replacing damaged wires. However, if the batteries were 6 volt you would hook them up differently in order to get the required 12 volts out of them. Good luck
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #18
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Dual batteries in an rv should be wired POS-POS and NEG-NEG otherwise you will end up with a 24 volt system. I am thinking there must be a wire rubbed through for that kind of short. There was another post a while back about a Monty catching fire because where the wire passed through the hole in the storage area there was no protection and the wires rubbed through. This was also DC related problem. Someone will remember who posted that info. Glad to hear you both are OK
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:43 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It was Prarriepoodle.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:17 AM   #20
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I am attaching an image that was most helpful to me. The KEY is whether you really have 2 12 volt batteries or 2 6 volt batteries that are wired in SERIES to produce 12 volt output. 2 12 volt batteries must be wired in PARALLEL not in series. Her is the image:

This is taken from a very helpful web site:
http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote