Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
rjmonta
Established Member

M.O.C. #31191
water damage

I purchased a 2015 Montana this spring - it hadn't been used for the last two years and spent that time in a garage. This summer it was outside for a very hot. summer. I have a problem with the black tank leaking. Tried to repair but it didn't work so scheduled to go to a dealer next March - first appointment I could get.
I went under it to put the panel back that had been cut to work on the leak. Saw that a very big bulge in the belly pan that hadn't been cut. When I drilled a hole in the panel a ton of water came out. I am assuming a leak most likely in the top of the RV that leaked into the belly pan. No rain all summer but a ton of it a few weeks before I was there to have a cover put on for the winter.
So suggestions on what I do for the winter? (It is located 200 miles from where I live). Remove the panel and put some kind of heater to dry out as much as I can from under the RV? Other thoughts? No way to get an appointment anywhere else close by to have work done on it sooner than March. The thought a very wet undercarriage let alone where the water ran down to the belly pan is giving me anxiety.

rjmonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It is hard to envision how water gets into the belly when the RV is just sitting and unused. Where, relative to the black tank, was the puddle? Was the water clean, smelly or black in nature?

I am assuming the RV is going to sit outside this winter. Leaving the bottom open may allow condensation to form in the belly if it is damp. I would much rather try to get it dried out and close it up.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:26 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
In addition to what Carl said, leaving the bottom exposed during the winter would allow various critters to find a warmer homestead and you would then have a lot bigger headache in the spring.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
rjmonta
Established Member

M.O.C. #31191
The water was clean - not from the black tank. During the attempted repair we tried several times inducing water to the black tank and the little water that did come out had a very nasty smell and we haven't been using the toilet for a month. No odor from the water that was released. There were several rain storms the previous couple of weeks with one day almost 2" - at first i was thinking it was leak some where but rain was one of the variables. A water line leak is also a possibility. There was a ton of water - good news is the belly "pan" didn't leak water! I drilled a few small holes in the pan and water drain out for a very long time - so a lot of water from somewhere. Unfortunately i didn't see the issue until i had the black and grey tanks flushed for the winter. Water lines blown out with air compressor and the cover placed over the RV. So no telling when the water was introduced. I was just guessing rain
I am thinking for now I need to go back down, remove the "belly pan" see how much i can dry out the RV and then put the pan back on - random thought - I was playing with the by pass values for the water heater and to by pass the water tank for my first winterization. I think the water was still hooked up but I can't remember now - any thoughts on how these by pass values could have introduced the water?
rjmonta is offline   Reply With Quote