Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Amazing setup, but....

Hey guys and gals.

Although he is not in a Keystone product, but I watched this in total amazement at what he has done. I know its a boondocking segment and that's what it is for, but I am looking to do something like this for my Montana and not just for boondocking or dry camping, but just as a way to be prepared for anything wherever we may be. I have been comparing this set up with how Keystone Solar Flex is with the Jaboni. My rig is "prepped" for it, but I will need to know how it stands up to this guy. Many of you may have already seen this, but I will appreciate any and all comments, opinions and advice on such a system. I think it is just awesome!!

https://youtu.be/8Qn7z697GxU

BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I've watched a couple of setups like that by Less Junk More Journey and Mortons On The Move. Both are far more elaborate and complex than what I'm working on.

In order stay under the 30A limit of the prep I've gone with 48V series groups wired in parallel. Currently have two four panel groups with room and wiring for one more four panel group running through a Renogy 60A MPPT charge controller.

The plan is to remove all of the outlet circuits from the power center and install them in a sub panel that's fed via a 30A circuit from the power center or a 3000W inverter controlled by a 30A transfer switch. Still collecting components as our budget will allow. I've got everything except lithium batteries and the inverter.

Basically all of the low draw circuits will run off the batteries until plugged into shore power or generator. Still have to run the generator for AC or laundry but the microwave and all the rest of the lower draw stuff will be off batteries. By comparison to some of the fancy systems it's almost analog.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We had seven solar pannels up there on our 2010 along with six golf cart batteries and we could pretty much do what we wanted.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We had seven solar pannels up there on our 2010 along with six golf cart batteries and we could pretty much do what we wanted.
We got started with lithiums on our class C as we only had about 1,400 lbs of CCC and a 100AH Battle Born is only about 30 lbs.

Even with a dual 12V compressor refrigerator freezer (Isotherm Cruise 195) we could stay off the grid indefinitely with just 400 watts on the roof and two 100ah Battle Born's.

At first I found myself agonizing over power usage at sundown but soon discovered that as long as the batteries were at least 13.2V at sundown we had nothing to worry about. That includes a MaxxFan running at 50% all night or the furnace set to 60 degrees when it was in the teens outside.

We've got a pretty extensive list of free "off grid" places we'd like to get back to but cannot do that until we get totally power self sufficient like we were in our C.

Our residential refrigerator is the big wild card this time. Once we get the rig setup the ROI without having to pay campground fees will be pretty quick.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
I've watched a couple of setups like that by Less Junk More Journey and Mortons On The Move. Both are far more elaborate and complex than what I'm working on.

In order stay under the 30A limit of the prep I've gone with 48V series groups wired in parallel. Currently have two four panel groups with room and wiring for one more four panel group running through a Renogy 60A MPPT charge controller.

The plan is to remove all of the outlet circuits from the power center and install them in a sub panel that's fed via a 30A circuit from the power center or a 3000W inverter controlled by a 30A transfer switch. Still collecting components as our budget will allow. I've got everything except lithium batteries and the inverter.

Basically all of the low draw circuits will run off the batteries until plugged into shore power or generator. Still have to run the generator for AC or laundry but the microwave and all the rest of the lower draw stuff will be off batteries. By comparison to some of the fancy systems it's almost analog.

Man, I like that set up! I'm still researching if all that I want to do can be powered just by the solar set up, i.e. Basic living, AC when needed, Laundry and work related duties remotely.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Can that guys setup be implemented onto my Montana? Even with the Jaboni prep on it?
Old 12-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Here is a link to our setup which has been rocking for over a year now.....

https://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2...-rats.html?m=1
Old 12-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #8
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
A lot of tech wizardry in the OPs linked YT vid but his 2310 CCC is concerning. Considering what he has added in solar. roughly 200lbs batteries, 100lbs of electronics, 100lbs of wiring and misc and finally 400lbs of panels = 800lbs slashed from his CCC leaving only 1510lbs for all his gear, food, other items carried onboard. But it sure is a "gee whiz "set up.

Bigboomer's set up in the DRV is awesome and he has the CCC to do the job with 8k axles carrying the weight nicely. ( you need to change your signature BTW)

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
With the exception of installing our last four panels (currently under the bed) and four more batteries (on the way) our solar setup is done. All outlet circuits including microwave and fridge were moved to a subpanel powered by either shore power or 3,000 watt pure sine inverter via a 30A transfer switch. Works like a champ. Will still run heavy loads like the AC and washer and dryer off the generator but otherwise we're officially "boondock ready". Screwed a plastic tub to the floor where the lead acid batteries were so we lost very little storage.