Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Weird experience

We were at the grocery store yesterday and had taken the truck. We have a MOC sticker on the back bumper.
As we were approaching our truck, this woman came over and ask us what Montana Owners meant. We explained. She then said she was orginally from Montana and thought it meant something about the state. Then she said, she and her husband had an Open Road 5th wheel and how much better those were than Montana. We just stood there and listened to her. She even told us they gave around $75,000 for their 5th wheel. And they wanted something much better than a Montana!
We are very happy with our Montana. I looked at the Open Road 5th wheels on their website just to see what she was talking about. I would never run anyone's trailer or 5th wheel down like she did ours.
She even told us they tow with a 1 ton duly truck. She has never seen our 5th wheel!
Can you believe this???

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Yup. Unfortunately those kinds of people are around. Nothing anybody else has is ever as good as what they have or what they've done. Must be a sad life.

Don't let 'em rain on your parade. Just enjoy the Monty.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
When I was at Unicoi SP last week, a new set of campground hosts arrived in a 37' Open Road a few days before we left. I went over to talk to him as I saw he was pulling it with a Chevy 2500 Duramax/Allison combo and wanted to see how it held up. We started talking, and when he found out that we have a Montana, he was EXTREMELY complimentary of it, even downplaying his Open Road.

Personally, I believe they are both both good 5ers. Some people simply have no tact, and I believe that is what you encountered. Perhaps she had to feel good about spending $75k on a camper or had low self-esteem. Needless to say, I would NOT be inviting her to my campfire!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Some people only have taste in their mouth.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
And/or leave a bad one in yours.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
If she gave $75,000 they must have seen them coming! LOL Or they didn't try to deal with the dealer. Or do Open Roads cost same as a Cambridge?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't even know whay someone would try to compare a camper that cost 75K with one that cost 40 or 50K.That is apples and oranges.I have seen many open road campers they are very nice units, I am sure they got their 75K worth however I am sure you got your moneys worth with the Montana. She just wanted to let you know that she was of a higher social class than a Montana owner but what she really showed was she had no class at all.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I have seen these units at Venture RV in Bakersfield. Nice almost bought one but they are not $75k Maybe $50-55. Right in the Montana range. Also they have some nice features coream counter tops, solid wood cabinets, residential grade carpetind and faucets etc. But I do not think that they are any nicer than ours. I recommend if you get a chance look at them. Now I do understand they are upgrading them to a higher level and introducing a new level probably somewhere between the Pilgrim and the new higher grade unit. Right about where the Open Road is now.
I thought they were nice and had the chance to buy one but chose the Mountaineer over the Open Road Travel Trailer.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Golly, gosh. I've never even heard of the Open Road. Thanks for representing all of us so well by being polite to someone who has forgotten what Thumper's dad said to him, "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all."
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Dusty and Don, Maybe hers gives her such a bad taste she has to down grade everybody elses to make hers better!! LOL
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We looked at Open Road & Pilgrim when we bought our 2980RL. The only thing Shari liked about them was the king size bed, and when ours was delivered, guess what? King size bed instead queen. We recently went to a "RV Show" at the Pomona Fairgrounds that was put on by just one dealer. There were several more expensive brands than the Montana line there, but we felt that the decor and fit & finish couldn't compare to Montana. But I would never say that to an owner of one, we'd just say how lovely it is, etc.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just got home from the lake and some good friends of mine had a 2004 3685FL as of last week. They bought it last Sept. before they went south for the winter. I do feel somewhat bad for them as I was the one who spoke so highly of the Montana. Well when I pulled in last night their Montana was gone and in its place was an Open Road fifth wheel. When I ran up to chat with them about what had happened she pulled out a list of 5 pages long with things that had gone wrong with their Montana. So they got rid of it, and when getting the tour of their new coach I will say, Pilgrim builds a really nice coach. I guess it is whatever makes one happy. I have had a person or two come up and do the same to me about how they HATE Montana and ask why I had to buy such a big coach to show off to everyone else? I let it go in one ear and out the other. My 3400RL works well for me and I really enjoy owning it and that is all that matters at the end of the day.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:43 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
How did you keep a straight face? I tend to agree that low self esteem prompts people to brag about what they have and put down what others have. Me thinks she must be an unhappy camper.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I could be wrong but I don`t think they make a "open road" model that cost that much.before we bouhgt our Montana we looked at am Open Road.It was some what cheaper but for us any way it looked very plain inside and didn`t have that WOW FACTOR that we found in our Montana.Saying that I would never even think about putting down some one eles rig.Its rude and very inconsiderate if you ask me.

But if she started bashing my Montana i probably would have told her what she can do with her Open Road.

mine is better then yours is-sounds like some thing a little kid would say.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:15 AM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Those are the kind of people I don't even like to give the time of the day to. She obviously has no "people skills" and those are the kind that I would love to know what they really live in. Some people always find fault with everything, as Paul says, "they wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope". People never cease to amaze me, and in my work I have met some "doozies"
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well stated, MOCers. As long as she/we are happy why would anyone feel the need to bash our units? There shouldn't be any competition between owners. We just buy what's right for us. I hope she likes her unit since she spent so much money on it. We like our unit and the price we paid for it.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've always just bit my tongue in those cases but as my age advances I find my patience for this kind of person beginning to wane. I'd still bite my tongue until they pushed my button far enough to trigger a reply and then I'd just point out Montana is the number one seller for four years in a row which speaks volumes about it's quality to many buyers. Then I'd smile and walk away. But it would take a lot to get me to that point.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #18
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I would have spent about 2 seconds with that lady (I used the word lady loosly) I would never knock another person RVer's choice in their selection, be it tent, pop-up or what ever. I just like to see folks camping and I try to be friendly with everyone we meet as we camp. I have really met some real nice folks, there were a few snobs along the way, but I just ignore those types. I had a fellow argue that class A was the only way to go..well I don't see it that way, I like my Montana and my style of camping. I dont like class A's, but would never tell that to a class A owner I was talking with.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thank you MOC members. My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:25 AM   #20
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Thank you MOC members. My sentiments exactly.
----------------------------------
Dusty,

Your name reminds me of that old Army saying.

If you want the best looking boots in your squad you either shine them up like a mirror (which takes half the night) or you kick dust on every body elses boots which is much easier.
Lots of lazy people out there.

Travel proud in your Montana.

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote