Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2004, 04:53 AM   #1
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Roundabout Route to Return from Rally?

We are thinking about a route home from the Rally that will take us North through Michigan into Canada and around Lake Superior to return home through Minnesota. Maybe an extra 4 or 5 days. All of this instead of an eastern coast trip that will have to wait until next year due to schedule problems.

Any Ontarions or others have any suggestions on good stops, side trips, or things to see that time of year?

Random Line

"Still Looking for the NW Passage"
RLTW

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
On your way through Michigan you might want to see Frankenmuth(a bavarian village,great chicken dinners),Mackinac Island,Tahquamenon falls in the upper peninsula and the ship locks at Sault Ste Marie.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
I ‘d echo the stop at Tahquamenon Falls as being great. The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum is also just a few mile north of Paradise. I’d add a stop for a pasty while you’re in the U.P. It’s a great treat and a hearty meal. We once spent most of a two week vacation searching for the best pasty shop. Brimley State Park may be a good place to spend a couple nights. It’s near the Soo and it’s an easy day trip to TQ Falls and the Shipwreck Museum.

We have crossed into Canada at the Soo. No major problem, but the Canadian customs people did look through the pop-up we had at the time. We stayed at a campground on the north side of Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. I think it was Glenwood something. It was ok for a short stay but I wouldn’t give them a very high rating.

The Agawa Canyon Tour Train is also something you may want to do – but it will take a full day. The trees will be changing so it’ll be a beautiful trip. You can read about it on their web site www.agawacanyontourtrain.com.

Once you leave the Soo, I can’t help much. I’m sure it’ll be a great trip though.

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Random Line,
Over the pst few years we have spent every summer wandering around lower and upper MI in the summer. It has a lot to explore as others have suggested. I would just add that the Charlevoix/Petosky arrea is very beautiful and not far off your track. We also found the Soo area very interesting. There seem to be a lot of good campgrounds right near the downtown attractions.
Good travels to you....
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Random Line,
If things go well on our trip over to the Rally we will be going the route you are talking about. All depends on time. If we go that way we'll share with you when we see you at the Rally. Looks like it would be a really nice scenic way to go. Good luck and see you soon.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
GordonR - So, after spending almost two weeks in your quest for the best pasty shop, I am curious. Did you find it? Are you going to share with us this best kept secret???
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:40 AM   #7
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Ron - I do have a favorite. This may be worthy of a new topic though. I'll go ahead and start it. We'll se what the response is.

Gordon

I just added it to "Sitting aroujnd the campfire" GR
Old 07-28-2004, 06:48 AM   #8
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7

"No matter where you go ...etc"

"I knew I was there but I didn't know where", RL

....Your turn....
Old 07-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the info. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 PM   #10
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Northstar

Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the info. Happy rving...
Yes does look like a lot of fun. Thanks for the info. Happy rving...
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #11
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Thanks for the information. We will use as much as we can. Including good pasty souces mentioned.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim and Freddi, we were at Tahquamenon Falls a couple of weeks ago when we were in the UP. Definitely worth a visit. It's in the State Park by the same name. There are Upper Falls and Lower Falls. They're about 4 miles apart, by highway. If time doesn't permit to see both, we thought the Upper Falls the most spectacular. The brochures say this falls has the second largest waterflow of any falls east of the Missisippi. I believe it. Beautiful to see.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:42 AM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We echo the praise of Charlevoix, MI. Absolutely beautiful small town. Petoskey is much larger and only 17 miles north, so it is convenient for the "bigger city" stuff. We didn't get to stay the night in that area, but will next year. Want to see lots more of Charleviox.

The entire drive between Traverse City and the Petoskey area was very nice.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:06 PM   #14
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Random Line - Carol and I are going up to the UP for the Labor Day Bridge Walk, then another 10 days or so "up north". We're considering traveling the north shore of Lake Superior rather than our usual south shore trip. We should be home the weekend before the rally. I'll post some info here on which ever way we go. In the meantime, I'll echo your first post here. If anyone has any experience on the north shore of Superior, any input is appreciated.
Gordon