Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 06:12 AM   #1
Shadrack

M.O.C. #20722
replace lug nuts

Lug nuts are rusting bad, looking online for stainless nuts but not sure size for 2014 montana 3750fl, is it 1/2" x 20 acorn ?

Shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just got mine from Tredit tire, the folks who supply Keystone with the wheels. Got the right size and a good price.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
just get to a tire center and have them figure it out and then get stainless steel.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I bought SS lugs and then read some stuff about galling. If I understand correctly you could have a problem with galling, which has something to do with dissimilar metals. The lug could potentially be welded to the stud. I didn't want that to happen while on the road so I went back to my rusty lug nuts.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I had a 3/8 or 1/2 inch stainless bolt that I was putting a stainless nut on, got it on about 1/2 an inch when it suddenly froze up. Wouldn’t tighten or loosen. No problem I thought, I’ll just get my 650 ft. Lb. air impact after it. It’s still stuck! No stainless lug nuts for me.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #6
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
You always need to use anti seize on stainless even if both are stainless. I use that stuff on steal as well. It helps get a better torque on the nut. No it's not like oil and allow the nut to back off. I wouldn't risk using stainless on wheels no matter what. Stainless looks good on some stuff but use caution as to how you use them. Stainless doesn't like to get hot ether. Heat makes the metal harder and more brittle. Ever try to drill out a stainless steal bolt. The trick is to turn the bit slow. If you go to fast the metal will turn blue and you are done drilling.

My recommendation is not to use stainless nuts.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #7
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
You always need to use anti seize on stainless even if both are stainless. I use that stuff on steal as well. It helps get a better torque on the nut. No it's not like oil and allow the nut to back off. I wouldn't risk using stainless on wheels no matter what. Stainless looks good on some stuff but use caution as to how you use them. Stainless doesn't like to get hot ether. Heat makes the metal harder and more brittle. Ever try to drill out a stainless steal bolt. The trick is to turn the bit slow. If you go to fast the metal will turn blue and you are done drilling.

My recommendation is not to use stainless nuts.

I know most won't agree with this, I use anti seize on my lug nuts always.
Leaned that 40 yrs. ago when driving semi.
I just adjust my toque a bit when using it.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
While anti-seize may not be a true lubricant like oil or grease, you can be sure that it modifies the friction involved when tightening a lug nut. Normally, lug nuts are not lubricated and that absence of lubrication is taken into account by the engineers when they give a torque specification. Adding lubrication can result in over torquing and risk of twisting off a stud bolt. It may be of no consequence on a towable but I can assure you that the owner's manual for my TV specifically advises against lubricating the threads on the lug nuts. There is a captive washer that should be lubricated with light oil.