Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Winterizing question

Just finished winterizing and ran into one small issue. The "Freeze Guard Winterizing System" hose fitting has a check valve in it making it impossible to draw anti-freeze in; I don't think there is any way the water pump can provide enough suction to open this valve.

I'm wondering if there is a special fitting that depresses this valve to allow the pump to draw anti freeze in?

I got around it this time by using a transfer pump to pressurize the anti-freeze into the system.

Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterizing.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	727   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-17 10.15.21.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	728  

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I used that port once and I did get it to suck out of a bucket but to me its a PITA. Now I just put 3-4 gallons in the fresh tank and pump it through all fixtures. I'm done in 10-15 min. Flush it out real good in the spring and your good to go
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Just finished winterizing and ran into one small issue. The "Freeze Guard Winterizing System" hose fitting has a check valve in it making it impossible to draw anti-freeze in; I don't think there is any way the water pump can provide enough suction to open this valve.

I'm wondering if there is a special fitting that depresses this valve to allow the pump to draw anti freeze in?

I got around it this time by using a transfer pump to pressurize the anti-freeze into the system.

Am I missing something?

My winterizing connection had a small concave screen in it, like my freshwater. I just flipped the screen, hooked up the hose to the antifreeze, and it worked fine.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You need to make sure the rubber gasket seals well. Mine was to thick and I could not get the hose connection to tighten enough. I had to slightly sand the gasket to get it a little thinner. Some have had the opposite problem and their gasket was not thick enough. The slightest air leak will be enough to prevent the pump from pulling the antifreeze in.

Also put your antifreeze jug at about the same level as the winterize connection to reduce the height the pump has to pull the antifreeze.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Ok, thanks. At least I'm not the only one having an issue. I'd rather not put anti-freeze in the water tank; did that one year on another unit and took forever to get the taste out.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I made a drawing of the convenience center plumbing. It might help someone else out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Convenience center plumbing.pdf (176.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:45 PM   #7
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
This thread popped up when I searched for freeze guard connection. I have not been able to pull antifreeze through the freeze guard inlet the past 2 years. Prior to that, it was anemic. I should have done that search a couple of years ago lol.
I blow out my lines, so it isn't a big problem. I like to run a little antifreeze though the pump, then into the system before hooking up the compressor. That way I know the pump is protected and avoid issues if I am a little lax getting all the water out. I am pretty thorough. I haven't had an issue the past 25 years.
There is always next year!
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:59 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhite View Post
...I have not been able to pull antifreeze through the freeze guard inlet the past 2 years. ... I haven't had an issue the past 25 years.
There is always next year!
The "secret" to using that freeze guard port and pump the anti freeze is to raise the gallon jug, or the bucket with the anti freeze in it higher up in the air. If the anti freeze source is at least as high as the port, (or higher), the on board water pump will draw it in just fine. Lower the jug and it stops.

So, I made a holding "bucket" I clamp on onto a 6 foot step ladder and then put the gallon jug in it. That way, the jug does not tip over when it nears empty from the weight of the hose pulling it over.

This works for me.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The freeze guard port probably has a check valve. And likely you have a cone filter washer in it. If you turn the cone inward it will push the check valve open and make getting pink stuff in easier. Then reverse the washer after you finish.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote