Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Little help with finding cable for installing third ac.

Installing third ac in my 2020 3813 in the kitchen maxair vent. It is per wired the electric cable is there. What I am going to do is wire it where I can run it seperate. I am trying to locate the end of the cable that is in the basement area. I am going to hook it up where I can plug a heavy duty extension cord and run it off the 20 amp breaker in the pedistal. That way I can run two ac when hooked up to a 30 amp spot. The other two ac are hooked to 20 amp breakers and marked but no sign of cable for third ac. Anyone have any idea.

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On our 2017 it went to a controler that only allowed it to run when the bedroom AC shut off. On that rig the controler was behind the furnace return air vent.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
My third is wired to a separate outside. Power and control wires run across ceiling, cover up it is not noticed. I always hook mine up to the 30A receptical with a 30A male/15A female.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
You were right on the button Dick. It was in the junction box behind breaker box. It had a black piece of tape wraped around it. I used the breaker for dryer and ran a wire from it to the top of the wet bay and installed a male plug to it. From that point I can run a heavy duty extension cord to the 20 amp plug in the pedestal. I am in business for running two AC units when hooked up to a 30 amp sopt
Old 06-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I did mine just a little different to give me more choices. I took it into the basement and put a 30amp breaker box on the wall. I then went out the outer wall next to the convenience center and put a 30amp connection there so it's weather proof. That way I can use a 30amp cord either with or without a 20amp dog bone and also use a surge protector. That way I can use the 30amp plug in a 50amp site or a 20amp plug in the 30amp site.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I did not specify but the plug I put on was a 30 amp male and the extension cord is a 20 foot 30 amp. I was thinking the same thing. I just use a 30 to 20 adaptor. I just could not force myself or did not have enough confidence in myself to drill a hole that big in the side of my camper so I just drilled a small hole inside the wet bay. Out of sight.