Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2023, 06:47 AM   #1
mrvair

M.O.C. #32777

Hi this is Ed just purchased a 2005 Montana 3650 RK need to pickup later this week or early next. Has been setup on seasonal site for 3 years has 5 year old tires that look great. I don’t have a tow vehicle but a good friend does that will go with me to pick it up that has towed trailers for many years. Anything I need to know to hitch this unit up and tow it about 180 miles to my site location?

mrvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:11 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvair View Post
Hi this is Ed just purchased a 2005 Montana 3650 RK need to pickup later this week or early next. Has been setup on seasonal site for 3 years has 5 year old tires that look great. I don’t have a tow vehicle but a good friend does that will go with me to pick it up that has towed trailers for many years. Anything I need to know to hitch this unit up and tow it about 180 miles to my site location?
First of all, welcome to the MOC.There's a lot to consider. Tires, brakes, suspension and lights to start with.
  • What brand of tires? 5 years old tires worry me. Tires may look good but age out at 5 years.
  • When is the last time the bearings were greased?
  • When was the last time the suspension was greased and inspected?
  • And of course check all the lights.
Take a jack with you. Jack up each wheel individually and spin it to make sure its free. Also take a grease gun and pump some grease into the bearings and wet bolts if equipped.

It might be in your best interest to install a TPMS system to monitor tire temp and pressure while towing.

Here is just one example. https://www.campingworld.com/tiremin...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2023, 08:38 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have never heard aging out at 5 years for tires. I have heard 7 or 8. Take it for what it's worth.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:51 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Welcome to MOC. Your tires should be fine if they are inflated to spec. Just check them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I have never heard aging out at 5 years for tires. I have heard 7 or 8. Take it for what it's worth.
No offence but this isn't new information. There is a lot of info on the web. It depends on the climate. Any manufacture will recommend replacing between 3 to 8 years. One reason people cover their tires in hot climates. Here's an interesting article.
https://camperreport.com/how-long-do...er-tires-last/
Old 06-18-2023, 02:43 PM   #6
mrvair

M.O.C. #32777
Thank you all for your thoughts on moving our newly purchased 2005 Montana 5th wheel after arriving at unit found the tires still had their original label stick acros the tread of all the tires! So check tite pressure hooker up and towed her home with no problems
Now parked at our site found a few problems the outside lights don’t switch on at night when we flip either of the 2 switches? Also 2 bedroom head board lights don’t come on when we turn either of their switches on! Checked all bulbs and all are good??? Wiring problem?
mrvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:38 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Look under the bed in the bedroom, many Monty's have a juction box under there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:28 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your new camper.

Tires can "age out" after just a couple years, very easy. It's called dry rot. If they were exposed to the sun and never moved, you want to check them very, very careful. Look for fine cracks in the side wall. If so, they are dry rotted.

Good advise above about checking things out before moving it.

If your friend is comfortable towing, you'll probably be just fine. Definitely, have your friend do a good inspection of the suspension, tires, and general condition of the camper. Follow his advise. Have him take it slow and easy until you both have confidence in the camper. Test brakes for sure before getting on the road.

Make sure you have a good battery installed on the camper. In order for the break-away system to work, you need a battery. If there is no battery, the break-away system will not work. Make sure the pin is inserted in the brake-away switch.

Good luck, enjoy, and happy camping!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote