Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2022, 05:24 PM   #1
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Mudflap Fuel Discount

I downloaded the Mudflap app last week https://www.mudflapinc.com/ and just had a chance to try it. The first time, retail price for diesel was $4.66, Mudflap price $4.46. The second time, retail price $5.25, Mudflap price $4.51. TSD also had a discount at the second station $4.67, so Mudflap was better in this case.

I plan to use both, depending on which one has a discount where I am stopping.

The second time I used Mudflap, the app would not give me a fuel code. It was almost midnight on Sat but customer assistance answered the phone! They gave me a fuel code and said, since I was new, my account had to be verified by management. I think that was taken care of today. In any case, their customer assistance seems to be great.

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
OK, a couple of questions.

1st - I take it you have to go inside at the truck stop to show the attendant your "fuel code" before you pump?

2nd - It says you can use a credit card unlike TSD. Can I assume I can get get the 3-5% cash back my CC offers? Or is the purchase not coded as "Fuel"?

3rd - Any guess on how extensive is the network of stations? More than the usual TA, Love's, Sapp Bros, etc.??

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm all in for saving money on fuel. Mud flap works, but it is pretty dependent on your location. For instance, you live in Wichita Kansas you have to drive at least 30 miles to use a participating station which kind of puts a damper on savings. If you're like us and you're more a recreational type of RV'er that likes to stay at the corps lakes, again you have to drive a ways to get to a participating station. If you're traveling the country and stay on major highways, there's absolutely no problem with it. At least in Missouri and Kansas, most participating stations are the smaller companies and not Flying J, Pilot, and TA's which I don't frequent anyway.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
OK, a couple of questions.

1st - I take it you have to go inside at the truck stop to show the attendant your "fuel code" before you pump?

2nd - It says you can use a credit card unlike TSD. Can I assume I can get get the 3-5% cash back my CC offers? Or is the purchase not coded as "Fuel"?

3rd - Any guess on how extensive is the network of stations? More than the usual TA, Love's, Sapp Bros, etc.??
1: Yes, but not always. They seem to have agreements with a lot (not all) of Mavetick stations; they take the code at the pump.

2: Unknown at this point but I assume I am getting the cash back percentage. The app also offers .02/gal off if you link a bank account but the cc cash back is a better deal.

3: Seems pretty good. Have not seen TA or Loves but Sapp Brothers, some Mavericks, & independent truck stops.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I'm all in for saving money on fuel. Mud flap works, but it is pretty dependent on your location. For instance, you live in Wichita Kansas you have to drive at least 30 miles to use a participating station which kind of puts a damper on savings. If you're like us and you're more a recreational type of RV'er that likes to stay at the corps lakes, again you have to drive a ways to get to a participating station. If you're traveling the country and stay on major highways, there's absolutely no problem with it. At least in Missouri and Kansas, most participating stations are the smaller companies and not Flying J, Pilot, and TA's which I don't frequent anyway.
That is why I plan to use both TSD and Mudflap.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:58 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Expanding this topic ... I've pretty much quit using GasBuddy. I'm not a premium member as I don't buy enough fuel to make a savings on top of the $9.99/$7.99 monthly fee. I rarely get over 5 cents to 7 cents a gallon on the free membership plan ... more often than not, 3 cents a gallon. With diesel prices as they currently stand ... that saves me ... (drumroll) about $1 for every $100 spent in diesel.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:00 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Yeah, that's what I found with GasBuddy too. I downloaded the MudFlap app, but haven't used it yet. Hoping it may help once I get back out there.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
So far Mudflap seems good for long trips where I can plan my fuel stops. I hope they expand and get more stations signed up. I have not quite figured out their deal with Maverick (these are stations in the Rocky Mountain area; very nice, usually have RV islands, dumps, etc). They must be working with stores individually because some are listed, others are not. Not sure why it is not a corporate deal.

I think you can download the app and see if their network will work for you before you sign up and give them your credit card.

Here are a couple screenshots showing available stations:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	13309   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	13310   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	13311  
Old 10-09-2022, 06:16 PM   #9
BWDscotty
Established Member

M.O.C. #30488
Having to go inside to use mudflap was a knockout for me. Once they are 100 percent pump friendly, I'll try again.
Not quite a full-timer
BWDscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:30 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
In reference only to the mud flap app maps indicated two posts above, I too the very first time I opened it was in awe of how many stations there were. But, once you zoom in to the different areas you'll find in actuality they are several miles apart. In other words it's not like they're stacked on top of one another like it appears in some of the examples. I will again admit traveling across country on the major highways, mudflap is useful.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Can this be used in the regular fuel lanes or only truck lanes. Is it for gas or only diesel?
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Diesel only ... I'm not certain about fueling up at the auto pumps.