Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2022, 11:59 AM   #1
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
Campground Internet Speed Test Tool Coming

In the next few days you'll see a new option on the upper red RV LIFE bar to take a speed test. If you are camping at a park the info will be used to contribute to collective speed test data that we display at Campground Reviews on each park page. (RV LIFE Campground Reviews is our sister site). Your personal information will not be shared - only the carrier info associated with the internet connection and the test speed. If you are not at a park, you can still take a speed test anytime you like. The info will be only informational for you but it's still fun. Many RVers use Campground Reviews (and RV Life Trip Wizard) when planning trips, and having good connectivity at a park is a prime concern for many when choosing a park.

To enable this tool, we've set up a prompt to allow location services on your device. You can dismiss it if you're not interested but if you would like to take a speed test and you'll need to "allow location detection" The location info is not used for any other purpose.

Speed test info reported by real RVers is the most reliable info about what to expect for connectivity at a park and so we're excited at the possibilities for everyone who RVs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Redbar_speed test.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	11978

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
this is awesome, we'll be sure to do this! We'd noticed in the reviews of sites now they report all the cellular providers service quality and wifi quality. This is super useful for me, as I work remotely from the camper, and need to know that info from an unbiased third party.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
We have been slowly collecting connectivity info at Campground Reviews (sister site) for several years as reviewers have submitted tests and thought that expanding this to the forums might speed up the process.

Connectivity on the road is a BIG deal for many, especially in remote areas.
As an example, here in the PNW there are still vast areas with no cell coverage. I can't camp on the WA or Oregon coast at a state park with a reliable connection unless I tote along a starlink dish. Good to know in advance

We have also found that some parks aren't entirely forthcoming about exactly how speedy their wifi is. Websites often say they have wifi but upon arrival it turns out to be very slow or restricted. We're finally taking matters into our own hands and crowdsourcing the info

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:53 AM   #4
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Nice!

Good info.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:08 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I went back to campgroundreviews and can't find where to see any results of other reported speed tests. How do I find this summary info? Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I normally "X" out the red RV Life bar to gain back screen real estate. How do I get it back when I want to do a speed test report?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote