Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Wavig goodby to our 5er

The new owner will be arriving shortly and we will be waving adios, goodby, farewell to our 5th wheel forever. It's been a good RV and was supposed to have been replaced by a smaller Class C or slide equipped B+ that my wife can occasionally drive. Unfortunately the cost of living along and of gas for the usual Ford V10 or 7.3 V8 has gotten out of our comfort zone so that's on hold. I will still be here occasionally though

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:33 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Good luck and stop in anytime. Sounds like you may be in a position to wait for the economic turndown. RVs tend to go on fire sale when times tighten up. I'm holding out for a truck camper.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:07 AM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Good luck and stop in anytime. Sounds like you may be in a position to wait for the economic turndown. RVs tend to go on fire sale when times tighten up. I'm holding out for a truck camper.

Absolutely waiting for that downturn. The pretty sizeable check will be going into a special RV account today which already has a fair start

Good luck with a truck slide in unit. We restarted our RVing journey with one about 1998 after being without any for a few years. Unfortunately, it proved too small for our (my 6'4") needs so moved back to towables
Old 05-13-2022, 08:19 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Sorry to hear you sold your Montana, but I certainly understand why, especially with the economy the way it is today.

Fortunately, mine is completely paid for, and I have property where it sits. We use ours at home and camping, every day. We have some trips planned through August of this year, but after that, nothing scheduled beyond. Not sure what to expect in another 4 months so leaving all options open. But, parked at home, we still enjoy ours. Our only cost on the camper is insurance and license plate renewal every year, so actually, it's pretty cheap to keep around.

Sorry you couldn't get the +B right now. We each must do what we each must do!

Good luck!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Sorry to hear about the sale, but on the other hand now is a good time, with prices up. I’m sure you will get back into RVing at some point. Good luck!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:41 AM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Good luck it’s new endeavor’s and certainly don’t be a stranger.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
It's gone and so far the only positive is that my driveway is now empty and my longbed truck can now make the turn to the garage with one motion instead of 2-4.

Our two pups will miss it too. My wife took them out for a last look just before the new owner showed up. The younger one, Molly loved travel while the older one, Callie - just one more experience. No big deal.

Oh, and I'm not deserting MOC. Too many good folks here to not "talk" too occasionally
Old 05-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #8
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I’m 74 and last year looked at Bs, not even for a weekend. Then CS, better but As were more like it. Spent about 3 hours in a Newmar, beautiful! Still not comfortable so we bought another Montana.
A real chuckle when found the toilet in the B was under the table.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:18 PM   #9
Hedgehog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17426
While I agree about waiting for a better deal, I’m not sure how good the deals will be. A lot of people bought rv’s for very high prices and then financed the brunt of it. They are going to want top dollar and probably won’t be able to afford to sell them for what they are actually worth versus what they owe.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I’m 74 and last year looked at Bs, not even for a weekend. Then CS, better but As were more like it. Spent about 3 hours in a Newmar, beautiful! Still not comfortable so we bought another Montana.
A real chuckle when found the toilet in the B was under the table.

Having had three 5ers including a Newmar Kountry Aire, really would like to stay with one but my wife can't (WONT!!) drive the truck pulling any 5er or any other towable and I'm getting to the point where 8 +/- hours is too much. And we do take lengthy trips so that means a C or B+ with an A not in the running (I'd really like a Prevost Liberty but not the cost of purchase and ownership)
Old 05-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
While I agree about waiting for a better deal, I’m not sure how good the deals will be. A lot of people bought rv’s for very high prices and then financed the brunt of it. They are going to want top dollar and probably won’t be able to afford to sell them for what they are actually worth versus what they owe.

At this point any replacement RV will be late fall/early spring as we are in the process of moving/major downsizing. Yes, I'm well aware that many will be under water with their seldom or never used 2019-2021 RV and may just be nice enough to "help" some owner out. The bucks are set aside for a replacement, whatever it will be.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Having had three 5ers including a Newmar Kountry Aire, really would like to stay with one but my wife can't (WONT!!) drive the truck pulling any 5er or any other towable and I'm getting to the point where 8 +/- hours is too much. And we do take lengthy trips so that means a C or B+ with an A not in the running (I'd really like a Prevost Liberty but not the cost of purchase and ownership)
I didn’t bother to look at Prevost. My wife will not drive pulling the 5er either. My goal is 350-400 miles daily but will not overnight for an extra 100 miles. 1st stop after 3 hours then every 2 hours or sooner if desired. Steady 65 mph is comfortable for me. I’ve talked to some that never do more than 300 and a few that only do 200-250 daily. What may help me is usually only 1 or 2 nights on the road to destination and then a longer stay 2 weeks to 1-3 months. Staying in a B+ would be like in my master bedroom closet. A super C means I have to pull a vehicle anyway. I tried to talk myself into it but both agree a 5er is best for us at least until I get old. 😆
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote