Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
ScottN
Established Member

M.O.C. #28930
Ford “Connected Navigation”

When my trial subscription for Ford’s “Connected Navigation” ended after 90 days, all navigation features have stopped working; I only have my current location showing on the map. Ford dealer says this is the way it will be unless I subscribe to “Connected Navigation” for $80/year. My understanding (apparently wrong) was that basic navigation would continue (e.g., enter address and get turn-by-turn instructions), but I would not have enhanced features like live traffic or POI (points of interest). Have others experienced this?

Old 03-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Welcome to the world of the subscription business model. Ford (and everyone else including Microsoft Office) has figured out a way to get a little more money from you after you paid $80k for that truck.

A lot of people are upset about it. I will probably not be subscribing after the 90 day Sync 4 service runs out. Many better options out there.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...renew-wtf.html
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can use google maps with Ford sync for free.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
My turn by turn works and I have never been on the connected navigation. Truck is a year old. I will admit though that I don’t know all that much about the nav system. I haven’t heard of connected navigation until your post, I had to look it up. I use my iPhone on the Ford screen if I don’t know where I’m going, I think it gives clearer instructions. I use an rv gps when pulling. I only have the Ford navigation because it comes with the lariat trim level. I wouldn’t order it, just me I guess.
Another thing I don’t like about the Ford nav is the fact that it won’t let us change routes while driving, it says it’s unsafe to be keying in new addresses while moving, which it is if it was the driver doing the keying. Drove the DW nuts.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
ScottN
Established Member

M.O.C. #28930
I know there are numerous options for navigation in addition to Ford’s: Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, RV Trip Wizard, etc. All of these require internet connection to begin navigation (but will continue to work if internet connection is lost). I suspect the Ford “Connected Navigation” is the same; I would have to have internet connection to enter an address so it could do lookup before starting navigation. However, since Ford apparently/allegedly does frequent updates to it’s maps, perhaps it has an address database onboard (like a stand-alone GPS device such as Garmin or Tom-Tom), so it could begin navigation even without internet connection. This would probably make it worthwhile to have as a backup while in a boondocking/remote location. (I did not test it before my trial subscription ended.) Can anybody who has active “Connected Navigation” confirm this?
Old 03-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If it quit working, just pick up a new Garmin or TomTom and keep your $80.00. If enough people don't pay for it, they'll get the idea.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
My turn by turn works and I have never been on the connected navigation. Truck is a year old. I will admit though that I don’t know all that much about the nav system. I haven’t heard of connected navigation until your post, I had to look it up. I use my iPhone on the Ford screen if I don’t know where I’m going, I think it gives clearer instructions. I use an rv gps when pulling. I only have the Ford navigation because it comes with the lariat trim level. I wouldn’t order it, just me I guess.
Another thing I don’t like about the Ford nav is the fact that it won’t let us change routes while driving, it says it’s unsafe to be keying in new addresses while moving, which it is if it was the driver doing the keying. Drove the DW nuts.
I think you probably have Sync 3, like my Explorer and '19 F-450. It is my understanding that this will work for three years, but not sure what happens after that. The Sync 4 navigation on the new trucks (Lariat and above) is only good for 90 days unless you pay.

I agree there are better options for navigation. It is just upsetting that we pay for this with the truck and then they extort more money to keep it working. What's next; a subscription price so your AC keeps working?

You can fix it to change routes while driving using Forscan. I did it on my 2019, pretty easy. Also change things like turn off the double beep when you get out of the truck. It sounds a little complicated at first, but pretty easy once you do it a couple times. It's safe as long as you back up all your original data before changing anything. All you need is a laptop and an inexpensive OBD interface. Ton of information here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ces-index.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...iscovered.html

PS: Interesting note on the Sync 3 navigation in my Explorer. When entering routes while driving, it says something like "Unsafe for driver to change while driving, verify you are a passenger to continue"; that is the way it should be. My '19 F-450 just said "not available while driving" (until I hacked it). Not sure why they have different software; only Ford knows.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #8
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Scottz, you are correct sync 3 here. Thanks for the info. Not sure what I’ll do when it stops working, probably nothing. Is ridiculous for these prices we pay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7DF14FB7-7284-44DA-8CC9-233937DB818C.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	11595  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Use your phone, they offer better nav.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:13 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottN View Post
I know there are numerous options for navigation in addition to Ford’s: Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, RV Trip Wizard, etc. All of these require internet connection to begin navigation (but will continue to work if internet connection is lost). I suspect the Ford “Connected Navigation” is the same; I would have to have internet connection to enter an address so it could do lookup before starting………..
You don’t need internet access to use google maps on your phone for directions. Or to find things such as businesses, restaurants, addresses, etc. Just a decent cell signal. I frequently use google maps when not at home to find some place and/or get directions.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
If you have cell service you typically have internet access through the cell.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #12
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I have a Garmin RV785 when towing.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our new Rav4 has no navigation system at all. You have to connect your cell phone to it and then it uses that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote