Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Handrail for interior steps

For unknown reasons - my unit did not come with a wood handrail for the steps that lead to the bedroom. They chose to mount my handrail on the rear-side door jamb opposite the outside foldable handrail. Never made sense to me.

I want to buy a handrail and install it myself if possible...but I always needed to know where the studs were located inside the wall to anchor the new railing.
The stars aligned Saturday morning! I was outside before the sun came up, it was a "cold" morning (40* and light frost...Brrrrrrr! ccccold by Central Texas standards). I looked at the RV and the dew had condensed on the side exposing the locations of the studs - so I took pics and measured for future reference. (See below).

I would need to know how high to mount the rail. Anybody know what that dimension is? Also - anybody out there done this before? Any lessons learned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handrail stud dimensions.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	8080  

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike a lot of units don't come with the handrail. It is just one of those things. You can find the studs on the inside by using a stud finder that are relatively cheap at any big name hardware store. I have to do that myself but I can't use the outside studs because my steps go up the middle and have the washer/dryer/closet between the steps and the outside wall. I have checked for the studs on the inner wall but have to be careful since my washer lines run up that wall also. Don't want to hit a line with a screw for sure. You can purchase the wooden handrails from your dealer or look them up on Amazon, etrailer, or trekwood or even build one yourself. They are not that hard to build. Good luck and hope you get more responses concerning your project.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
From the bottom step to the bottom of the handle is 4'. From the bedroom floor to the top of the handle is 38". A little off in my opinion. I did not measure the lenght. Personally I would make it a bit longer and slope it better.
As for making one, I would check with Gene at
https://www.rvcabinetsolutions.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stairs handle.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	8081  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Measuring the handle inside on my door - the holes for the attachment screws are 12.5” apart which should hit the studs on a slope.

Daryles - is the 48” measured from the floor or top of the first step? I’m thinking it is from the floor.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I believe I measured from the top of the bottom step. I'll double check tomorrow.
BTW stud finder works great. This one detects wiring, but it must be energized.
A Walabot is far better. Look it up on YouTube.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stud finder 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	8085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stud finder.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	8086  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Try a strong magnet. Keystone installs steel plates for backing for stuff like this. It was mentioned in a factory tour video. There's no guarantee, but it couldn't hurt to search around that area. I know my interior handle is mounted to a steel plate buried in the wall framing.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
chriscu

M.O.C. #22379
Installed Montana Hand Rail

Our 2012 did not have one either and my wife needed a handrail for stabilization after fracturing her spine. So I took some scrap oak and made one. I purchased some handrail brackets off amazon to match the black metal trim elsewhere in the rv. I couldn't find the studs so I purchased some anchors and used them. They provided a very solid attachment and the railing is sturdy. The brackets are Stone Harbor Hardware, Heavy Duty Handrail Bracket (Matte Black) and I measured from the top of the first step and made a mark and did the same on the top step. This gave me the proper angle. I placed my handrail so the top was 37" from the floor. I used a pecan stain for color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200810_115633.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	8155  
chriscu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscu View Post
Our 2012 did not have one either and my wife needed a handrail for stabilization after fracturing her spine. So I took some scrap oak and made one. I purchased some handrail brackets off amazon to match the black metal trim elsewhere in the rv. I couldn't find the studs so I purchased some anchors and used them. They provided a very solid attachment and the railing is sturdy. The brackets are Stone Harbor Hardware, Heavy Duty Handrail Bracket (Matte Black) and I measured from the top of the first step and made a mark and did the same on the top step. This gave me the proper angle. I placed my handrail so the top was 37" from the floor. I used a pecan stain for color.
Awesome idea I have the cheap factor rail about 18 inches worthless keeps coming lose
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
hand rail

My hand rail was ripped from the wall by a large lady going up the stairs. It was repaired by the previous owner (but not right) I had a matching piece of laminate flooring. Bolted the hand rail to it, added holes and used 1/2" EZ anchors. It never moved again, and looks like it belongs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0656.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	8160  
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I installed a stainless shower grab bar years ago. A few screw's hit framing, and with the addition of some clear silicon, it has not been ripped off yet.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #11
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Handrail

There are a number of handrails available on line. You can probably find one at a marine store. Amazon has teak handles which will compliment most interiors.
Make sure you mount it vertically where it doesn’t interfere with your pocket door.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
For unknown reasons - my unit did not come with a wood handrail for the steps that lead to the bedroom. They chose to mount my handrail on the rear-side door jamb opposite the outside foldable handrail. Never made sense to me.

I want to buy a handrail and install it myself if possible...but I always needed to know where the studs were located inside the wall to anchor the new railing.
The stars aligned Saturday morning! I was outside before the sun came up, it was a "cold" morning (40* and light frost...Brrrrrrr! ccccold by Central Texas standards). I looked at the RV and the dew had condensed on the side exposing the locations of the studs - so I took pics and measured for future reference. (See below).

I would need to know how high to mount the rail. Anybody know what that dimension is? Also - anybody out there done this before? Any lessons learned?
Doesn't look like your question of ow high to mount the handrail was answered. Residential code is 34" - 38" above the leading edge of the stair nosing. My wife is fairly short and 32" was better for her so that was what I mounted ours at.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:25 AM   #13
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I installed a Whitecap Teak 3 Loop hand rail in that stairway. The DW liked it so well that she had me add one to a two step hallway in our house. There are no open ends to catch clothes and it takes up little passage room. Add the finish color of choice, mount it on a 1/2x3 or 4 piece of similar wood, add some fasteners and screw it in place (which on an RV is 'interesting': https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote