Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
Lukewarm water from water heater

Hi Everyone. Hey our 2017 305RL water heater only heats to lukewarm. It used to heat much hotter to the point that I'd have to hurry and mix cold with it. That hot. But now it only goes to a lukewarm such that you wonder if you want to shower in it. I did a number of tests: after I had drained my hot water heater, rehooked up city water, flushed lines. I first put the electric heater on for 1.25 hours. Lukewarm. (I ran the faucets for quite awhile to drain some off.) Then ran electric and gas heater. After an hour, lukewarm. Drained off a bunch more water. Gas kicks back on (with electric still on), still lukewarm. Does it sound as if my thermostat is giving out? Can I still use the water heater with both gas and electric so I at least have non-cold water? Safe? Thank you.

P.S. I did read the files available here, but none helped for my situation.

Jayne-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Mine did the same thing. Most likely the thermostats are bad. Ordered all parts from Amazon. Replaced both thermostats, Electic Heating element, Off-on switch, anode rod. Also gave the tank a very thorough flushing...lots of gunk. Only trouble I had was that the factory used wiring a little too short and had trouble getting connectors back on without splicing new wire. About $60-70 and free shipping in about 2 days. Works good just setting in driveway. Real test to come later...I hope. More help & ideas coming soon.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Had all most the same problem with mine. Our's was going to every temperature when taking a shower (hot, cold, warm back to hot ect.) . Took it into a CW and they replaced what they called a mixing valve somewhere in the heater. Works great now.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Please let us know what the problem was when you find it.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
Old 06-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #5
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
Found the problem!!!

Oh my gosh ya'll. I couldn't believe the fix for this. I posted in another group on Facebook also. It's a Montana Owners group. Turns out that my recent habit of turning off the shower via the shower head, versus the handle (valve on the wall) was the issue. There is a back flow of water when you do that that keeps hot and cold mixing in the tanks, hence causing lukewarm water. Seems like a design flaw. Here is what one of the posters said: "With both hot and cold shower handles on and the shower head closed the difference in pressure for each hot and cold feed allows cold water (stronger pressure) to mix with the hot and temper it down. Glad you found the problem. The only way to prevent it is to put a check valve on the shower hot water side. This would prevent "back flow" of the hot water to the rest of the RV hot water lines." And here is what another poster said: "it's mixing when actual valve is left on and just shower head off. Same with inside and outside shower."

They saved me lots of money, because when I called my dealer, he said they'd likely replace the thermostat and whatever else they thought needed replacing.

Whew. Thank you all for your replies.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Jayne-O

M.O.C. #18846
So Charlie I wonder if you were doing what I was doing: leaving the valves open, but closing water flow by closing off the shower head button.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
WOW. Good catch. We will be sure not to do that in the future. I was just about to go out and replace that "mixing Valve" too! Maybe later now.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
Old 06-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
I seem to remember the same thing can happen if the outside shower valves are both open. If you have the hose connected for example with garden sprayer connected, you wouldn't know the valves are open unless you checked them.

An easy way to check if the water in the heater is actually hot is to lift the pressure relief valve, (careful not to burn yourself) if the water is hot the problem is not the water heater but somewhere else in the system.
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne-O View Post
So Charlie I wonder if you were doing what I was doing: leaving the valves open, but closing water flow by closing off the shower head button.
So I assume by using the outside shower in the same manner would generate the same issue. Seems logical. Maybe the newer ones do not have the outside shower shut off button. But Mine does and I use the shut off button. The kids when they visit can't reach it. So I have never noticed this effect.
Amazing the things you can learn from the great people here.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne-O View Post
I was getting all kinds of temperature changes with the shower valve open and water running WAS NOT shutting down at the shower head

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:32 PM   #11
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
I’m having a Luke warm water issue when the water heater is on electric. When on gas it’s nice and hot. Any ideas for that?
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you have the Suburban Hot Water heater, they use two t-stats, one for gas and one for electric. Sounds like your electric t-stat is failing. I just had to replace our electric side because of the same exact issue.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
Bill M
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23206
Depending on how many valves you have to close you hot water heater for storage, if one is still not in correct position, then you will have a mixture of hot & cold water going to your faucets. Had that problem in my older TT till I turn the third valve to correct postion.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #14
Ruffuslike
Established Member

M.O.C. #25719
'So Charlie I wonder if you were doing what I was doing: leaving the valves open, but closing water flow by closing off the shower head button.'
Did it really help? As I had the same problem.
Ruffuslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #15
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Outside showers / faucets will do the same thing. Always turn the knobs off, otherwise hot and cold mix. This is not a design flaw. Campers have been doing this for at least the last 20 years (I'm not exaggerating).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #16
airboatart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17939
Yes check outside shower valves mine got turned on some how drove me crazy trying to figure out my hot water was luke warm.
airboatart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lukewarm, temperature, water heater