Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Level Up problem

Experienced my first issue with my level up system. Pulled from Wichita to SW Missouri yesterday. Went through my regular ritual, got the rig plugged into shore power, got the rig off of the truck, placed my footpads down for the jacks and hit the "auto level" button. Unit responded just like a low battery. Checked to be sure I was hooked up to electric properly, no problem. Actually put the hydraulic slides out, no problem. Having never had a problem before, I called Lippert and got customer service. He walked me into the manual phase and, no problem. Extended the rear legs and proceeded to level the unit manually (pretty easy). However, the Lippert tech suggested that I get it to a repair facility and have them check, as he said the problem appears to be getting electric to the "auto level" phase. Anyone had any problems like this. Any suggestions? Not going to be too near a repair facility for awhile.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Once you got the unit level by doing it manually did you recalibrate the system? Recalibrating could resolve the symptoms your system had.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:05 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
How do you recalibrate the Levelup System, Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:26 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
With autolevel, the front has to be higher than the back or the system shuts down because front legs cannot go out far enough to start the process.

To recalibrate, first level the rig manually. turn the LCI off, push the front button ten times, the rear button ten times. Control will beep and reflect zero point calibrate. Hit enter, and that is your new setting. Control will automatically shut off.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If the symptom was no movement, a less likely cause could be inability of the electronics to open the correct valves to operate the jacks...due to bad connection at the slip on terminals at the manifold. On my manifold,first orange line is living room slides and next two on top and I think right side connection on right are front jacks with control valve located in street side propane locker. Pull off and reconnect spade connectors to eliminate a bad connection being an issue. Hope this helps. John
Old 12-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Thanks, John. I'll try that in the morning. I did re-calibrate the system which worked properly (got the rhythm of pushing the buttons on the third attempt. The Lippert man asked me if I had a voltmeter, which I don't. Wouldn't know how to use it if I had one. Something I should work on. Did seem to think that Lippert felt electric not getting to the "auto level" phase since everything else worked fine. Any way you could send photos of what to look for at the connection at the slip on terminals at the manifold.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Well, a pretty crappy day. The mobile RV man made it out today, checked the system, called Lippert and after an hour of discussions, Lippert says get it to a shop and have them clean the system out (blow out the hydraulic lines and pressurize the system). Seems to think the system has a partial blockage somewhere. Confirmed pump is working fine. Will have to see if my extended warranty will handle the repairs. Should I let Keystone know about this? This shouldn't happen to a unit not quite 3 years old. So much for heading to Austin on the 1st.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Final update. Got the rig into the shop and let them know that Lippert felt I had a bad valve, not opening or closing and bogging down the motor. By the time the shop got the valve diagnosed, they burnt up the motor. Called my extended warranty folks (Interstate) who approved the valve and labor, but not the motor. Interstate said that the shop told them motor was out when I got the rig in. After listening to the phone call between shop and Interstate, shop said no such thing. After getting threatening with Interstate, they finally agreed to pay for the motor. They had also previously agreed to extend my coverage for 3 days of hotels and meals. I paid to have the parts expedited and off to Texas we went. Rough couple of weeks, but at least we ended up with a good result. Level up system working well again.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't have an automatic leveling system of any kind. But I have had problems with my rig's front legs. What I do now is crisscross some 4x4 blocks under the pads to MINIMIZE the amount of travel needed to extend and level. It can still be tricky to guess how much to drop the leg extensions for my manual method but I wonder if reducing the travel distance might help in the long term.

My BIL has an SOB (still a Keystone) with Levelup and this is also what he does when he had difficulties with his levelup. I don't remember what they corrected, and I'm not sure he was happy with their fix, but this is what he does now.

I'm glad your issue is resolved.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote