Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
How to remove window valances to fix blinds

The dining area window blind has completely come undone from its mounting on our 2006 Montana 3400RL. The two screws have stripped the metal wall mounting and the whole blind has dropped. In order to try to reinstall larger screws or drill new holes for the mounting, the window valance is in the way and needs to be removed temporarily. At present I am unable to figure out how it is held to the wall. How is this mounted and fastened to the wall? I can't seem to figure it out so that I can remove it temporarily. Secondly, can these exact blinds be purchased still from Montana or elsewhere for repair purposes.

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Look up under the valence and there will be some screws that are barely visible. If I remember correctly, the screws require a square bit as well. They may have actually penetrated the valence fabric so you will have to look for holes in the valence fabric if the screw heads are not plainly visible. The valences are simply screwed into the wall.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ditto what Bingo wrote. The screws are hard to find and having a really long shaft Robertson (square head) bit will make it easier to remove them. Look at the inside ends of the valance for the screws.

The day night shades can be repaired if the strings have broken. You can do it yourself (Google for kits and instructions) or send them to someone to repair them for you. MOC member Subra1228 is one place that will repair them for you.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Those screws mentioned earlier are easier to remove, and replace, with a battery powered screw driver.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Thank you, everyone for the tips. I have found all of them finally. Really difficult to find and then difficult to see to get the square bit lined up to get them out. Got the Day/Night blind remounted but I suspect the mounting will fail again as the screws only go through a cheap thin wall paper like panel. What a cheap set up! Put the Valance back on with only three screws as the additional screws were just too big a challenge. Two of the originals didn't even penetrate the holding panel. The Valance is a self contained rectangular box affair that does not support anything else. Its for show only. The three screws hold it firm enough for show. If I have to take the blind down again I'll probably use Moly Screws to get a firmer more substantive fastening for the blinds. The original mounting was skewed by at least a half inch left to right. That kind of sloppy work is somewhat hidden by the Valance but is really tacky. Thanks again for the help. It is sincerely appreciated.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote