Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
cbhughan
Established Member

M.O.C. #12389
Four Door Norcold Frig Frost Build Up

Had a problem with frost building up and water dripping in the refrigerator compartment in my 2012 Montana. Had a tech come out to my campsite and he moved temperature sensor from the top of one of the cooling fins in the right frig compartment to the middle of the fin. He said it should have been in that location when the unit came from the factory. He also said that the temp setting should only be set to 9 if I was in the desert. I was told by the dealer to set it there when I picked up the trailer. He also said the setting depended on altitude and that I should raise the number for each one thousand feet. ie At 5000 feet set it to five.

cbhughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't know about your unit but I've always been told the refrigerators are not frost free and occasionally defrosting is needed but we've never had a problem with this. I have also heard the position of the sensor, the altitude, the humidity (desert versus mountains, west coast versus east coast), how the fridge is loaded have a bearing on this and could require some of the adjustments you are doing.

I suppose if we went out more we'd be messing with it much more too. Whatever, it is I hope you don't have the problem we had when our fridge got fried and turned into a heater. We had to shut if off and turn it into a cooler (aghhh, our ice machine was running 24/7 to keep the ice level up and the contents cool) until we got it to the shop for repairs. I would rather have to learn how to fight frost for sure.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We set ours on #5 and have to defrost it every couple of months or so. Occasionally something on one side of the freezer or the other will slide down and the door will shut, but not really latch. When that happens the frost problem can increase greatly depending on the length of time before you notice it and the humidity.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If you have a Norcold 12xx series, the refrigerator compartment is self-defrosting but the freezer areas are not. So, the refer compartment should stay frost free and every month you should defrost the freezer compartment by turning the refer off and opening the freezer doors until everything melts. In our experience, the refer area stays cool enough for the food in it during this process.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote