Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
James D. Wiggins

M.O.C. #18663
AWNING ALIGNMENT

We just purchased a 2012 Montana Mountaineer. It was bought from the original owners who took immaculate care of it. Generally speaking, it is like new. However, I noticed that the awning frame was not aligning with the frame mounted on the side of the rig and is not housing all the way. It literally sticks off to the right about 1/4 inch at the top (when up as far as it will go) and about 1/16 of an inch to the left at the bottom. I have tried shifting the awning one way or the other on the drum when the awning is extended. While it is nearly impossible to do, I could get it to move enough to find out that it has no effect on alignment. I have also tried putting pressure on the arms to force it to align. That does not work either Have any of you ever had this kind of problem? Please take into account what I have tried when answering.

BIG thanks in advance.

James D. Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Try measuring from the ends of the tube to the edge of the awning to make sure it is exactly centered. I put a mark on the tube on each side so I can just look to see if it is aligned before rolling. The previous owner may have been caught in a wind and bent the frame a little also.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm not positive, but I think the awning frame that screws to the side of your fiver has slots where the mounting screws are. You may be able to adjust the base to the arms in your case.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
James D. Wiggins

M.O.C. #18663
Well, it seems that not many folks have had this problem. As I mentioned above I had tried evening the awning on the spool and that had no effect. I think the problem is that the awning is not even at the base. It is more centered to the right. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems that because of this it would cause the arms to pull to the right.

Without pictures (which I do have), I at least temporarily solved the problem by extending the awning about 2 feet and tying a 15' nylon strap near the top of the arm then hooking it onto my Polaris Ranger's roll bar. With foot on the brake I eased back with the Ranger to put a taut strain on the arms (pulling it in the direction that it needed in order to house into the frame) and being very careful to not do damage to the arms or mounting. I then grabbed the nylon strap and put more gentle pressure on it to move the arms back to a vertical position. It now houses perfectly but I am afraid that because of the offset at the base it will soon cause the arms to have a slight bend again. I have no idea how I can center the awning at the base mount. I know I can't budge it by hand. Appreciate any suggestions.
James D. Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
As mentioned, there are two screws through the fabric in the track. Remove these...then run the awning in and out a few times. You may have to pull on an awning tube one way or the other to allow it to find its natural place. Then put screws back in. John
Old 06-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I also had this problem and when I got around to examining it I noticed when I stood back and looked at both edges of the fabric while looking toward the Monty they were both curved pretty badly. Since the entire fabric was showing it's age (we are full timers and use it a LOT) I decided to install a new fabric. I went shopping on-line and found one on eBay from a place in Indiana for only $138 and ordered it with my fingers crossed. Was really surprised that it is of very good quality. My son and I installed it in about 2 hours and it works/looks GREAT and solved the problem of arms storing when retracted. I believe the quality is actually better than the original Dometic fabric. I used You Tube videos for installation instructions. Be SURE to pin the roller tube as instructed!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Interesting post. My awning has worked great but yesterday we got caught away from the Monty when a huge thunderstorm erupted. I had left the awning out and when I got back there was no noticeable damage but when I closed it the arms had tweaked and didn't line up. Not major, but may have to use your technique to realign the arms. Lesson learned, roll the awning up when away from the camper.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If there are screws through the fabric into the roller, remove them. Slide the fabric in the channel toward the end of the tube that is off center to the outside of the frame. Roll up to see alignment. When aligned, reinstall screws at new location.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:58 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
About three years ago I had the same proplem tried shifting the fabric in the channel. At the end of the season I had someone push the frame to one side when I rolled the awning up. Both sides whent in the Channel
In the spring When I rolled down the problem was corrected.Never a problem since. SO WHO KNOWS,
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Ours has done this a couple of times. I'm thinking it may get a tiny warped from wind. When this happens, Hubby just pushes on the arm while I retract the awning and it gets back in sync. I know ours can't be installed wrong, because most of the time it closes perfectly.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Lately I have the same issue with our awning. It is off-set to one side and will not close right unless I push on one of the arms while rolling it up.

I will be following this thread to find some answers.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote