Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
lonnie smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #12082
furnace problem

Snowbirding, and moved from Arizona to Colorado...not smart,weather wise,but we needed to spoil grandkids before heading back to Montana next month. Noticed the furnace running much more often, and also no heat coming out of the vent in the bedroom (2011) 3455SA. Pulled the basement storage panel off yesterday and found the vent hose fallen into that maze under the floor. No screws ever, (until now)...just tape...good quality work, huh? Fixed now and the bedroom has heat. AND the hose to supposedly warm the tanks blows into that area, but everywhere I looked I could see light showing where that area was NOT sealed and and also no seals around the slide ram rods, so the heat for that area just blows out into the wind!!! Anyone ever had a problem like this?

lonnie smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lonnie, unfortunately that is not uncommon. Take a look at all the wire routing and connections, that is also a weak point for some units in the assembly process.
These trailers are great and reliable, it is just the human factor on assembly we need to check up on.
Glad you got it fixed.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When they're pushing 11-15 new rigs out the door everyday, it's a wonder there aren't more shoddy construction issues than there are.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've owned 3 brand new Montanas since 2000, they all had light showing from one end to the other in the underbelly. My 2011 was the worst of them all. On the newer drop framed models there's a huge gap between the rear underbelly and the wall at the rear of the storage compartment.I had a post a couple of years ago about that fix. But back to the underbelly ... it would be a bit overkill for most, but it made a big difference for my unit in the summer. I dropped all the screws holding the corrugated plastic to the frame one side at a time. I then ran a good sized bead of black silicone along the frame and clamped the plastic back up using long pieces of angle iron and several c clamps to spread the load. Once it was all setup, I took the clamps and angle down and reinstalled stainless screws and flat washers. I then used gorilla tape around the spring hanger holes. The only trouble now is when someone sneezes inside, the belly pan bows down for a moment.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We had the problem of no heat coming from the furnace at all. Come to find out was that the furnace would run but no ignition of the burner. Had propane at the stove but not to the furnace(the furnace is before the stove in our unit in the way of gas piping). We come to find out the propane tank was just low enough to not give the pressure to the furnace to be able to ignite so it would try to ignite but could not. Switched to the other tank and Walla, furnace is igniting and we have heat throughout the Monte. I do have to pull the basement apart when we get home and check out the run to the bedroom because I'm not getting near the heat from it as we are from the other two vents in the kitchen/livingroom area. The floor is "toasty warm" from the furnace to the steps but from that point on the heat seems to disapate(sp)and is just barely warm and no volume coming from the bedroom floor vent! Flex vent running from the wall in the basement to the vent is fine so I think its disconnected somewhere from the steps to the basement wall. I have a feeling it will be the same problem as Lonnie when I get into it! OK, back to the subject hope I didn't stray to much!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote