Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Bedroom Slide Leaking

Saw all the posts about leaks. I didn't have a leak but I gave it a close look and found the caulk at the bottom of slide and top of wide moulding had seperated. Cleaned off old caulk and recaulked with silicone. Thanks to the MOC, you made me look. Larry

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Glad we made you look!!!

But I still have a leak in the bottom corner where you can see the black rubber. I started pushing the black rubber in around the J shaped gutter that goes down the slide and now I don't get any water in.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
There's been much said about slide water leaks but I haven't been able to find where anyone has had (and solved)a water leak like mine. I have a 2011 3400RL (recently out of warranty, of course). There's a small closet next to the bed that's inside the bed slide box (moves in and out with the bed. This is not the front wardrobe with double doors. I have a water leak inside this small closet (the carpet gets soaked but I can't see evidence of water on the walls or tell where its coming from). On the outside of that slide the bottom is sealed with black rubber or plastic and the floor of the closet is a few inches above that so the water has to be coming in from higher on the slide somewhere. It only leaks when the slide is open and it rains - no wind needed). There's no window or other openings in that slide and the sealant around the siding looks to be in good shape.

If the leak were from around the slide (rubber scrapers, etc.) where most leaks occur I believe the water would be on the carpet around the slide not on the raised floor inside the slide. In my case the wet carpet is inside the slide box on a raised floor. That suggests to me that there's a seam in the box itself that's leaking but I've inspected it closely on the top and sides (especially rear side where the closet is) and can't see any cracks in the sealants or body seams.

Eventually I'll get it to a service center but for know I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had this problem or can give me some insight as to where it's leaking or what the solution might be. Thanks....dan
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Dan and Betty,

We had a leak in our bedroom slide, ours was on the right side of the bed (right under platform), not in the closet like yours. The interior walls were not wet.

Recently had it fixed at the Keystone Service Center and this is what they found and corrected:

"Tedlar on top of slide roof had gaps, letting water in, down wall to floor. (inside of wall)

Correction - Cleaned and sealed it, they bubble tested it and so far no leaks.

Ours is also a 2011, 3400 and only leaked when the slide was open. Maybe your leak is also coming from the top of your slide.

Hope this helps, I know from experience that a leak is really frustrating....
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Thanks mainer...I'm parked for December in Mission, TX and it's been raining pretty hard. Looks like its going to let up today or tomorrow so I thinks I'll just clean and coat all the seams on the top and sides, even if I can't see any cracks, hoping to resolve it. Like yours, I'm pretty sure the water is traveling inside the wall...just can't see the crack on the top. Your reply really helped. thanks much.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote