Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Water problem - but got it fixed - helpful tip

For some reason, (I thought) I was starting to have problems with the flip valve for the water inlet, between normal run and "Fill" the fresh water tank.

I never run water from the hose. I use the hose to only fill the fresh water tank and then run the water pump. I then turn the shore water spigot off. I've done this since my first travel trailer (no pressure regulator needed this way, if the pump cycles I know there is a potential leak, I just feel better doing it this way).

So, a few weeks ago, when flipping from the normal position to fill position, the water was not filling good at all. Mine makes this whiney - gurgling sound when the fresh water tank fills, and the sound was not normal. A few days later, there was no sound at all. I could flip the valve back and forth and get it to make the sound for a second and then it would quite.

By now, I'm getting concerned.

So yesterday, I needed to fill the tank again (we are sill in North Carolina by the way). And this time, when flipping to "fill" ... nothing ... nada! No sound. I'm getting a sinking feeling in my stomach now thinking for whatever reason that valve is failing and I'd have to replace it. Oh another job! Not looking forward to this at all.

But, before jumping in making plans, I thought,... maybe I should check the hoses, just ... because. My hoses are older. I've been using them for years and years. I have 2- fifty foot hoses on a reel. And I hook the reel to the shore spiggot. At then end of the hose, I have a hose connector with a shut off valve.

So, I unhooked the hose from the camper, made sure the valve at the end of the hose was in the on position, turned the water back on at the spigot and ... no water!

Now, I am breathing a breath of relief! NOTHING wrong with the camper!

I disconnected all the hoses, checked everything out one hose at a time, and the reel. I found out that one of the hoses had a swelling happen INSIDE the hose, causing a complete restriction of water flow! From the outside of the hose, there was no indication anything was wrong.

Well, I was able to use the second hose and got the water filled up with no issues at all. I like to carry the 100 foot of hose, as we have been camped at many sites were we needed lots of hose to reach a spigot to fill the tanks.

So, I guess, the next time we are out .... it's another stop at Wall Mart for new hoses. Like I said, I've been using these hoses for ... maybe 20 years. I guess its time for a failure.

So, just a word of advise for everyone. If yours all of a sudden stops flowing water .... um ... check the hoses first before throwing yourself into a panic!

Happy camping!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
An alternate way of filling the freshwater tank if you have some kind of malfunction is to fill it through the drain port in the back underneath.
I put a garden hose valve on this drain to facilitate draining for winterizing.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:59 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
An alternate way of filling the freshwater tank if you have some kind of malfunction is to fill it through the drain port in the back underneath.
I put a garden hose valve on this drain to facilitate draining for winterizing.
Now, THAT is a good idea. It would be easy to do. I have no problems with plumbing anything. I would have never thought of that. (provided your garden hose doesn't fail! )
Old 04-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have heard many talk about filling thru the overflow at the back of the rig. However, on mine, the cover is caulked on to the side. I don't want to take a chance and cut the caulking to find that there is nothing else holding it on. Anyone have this problem?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The over flow is actually the tank vent. If you attempt to fill from there, first, the tube is only about 1/2 inch or less. Second, if filling there you'll immediately have a vacuum and nothing will go in.

The old gravity fill ports had a large tube from the port to the thank. Then there was a second, much smaller tube, that ran from the top of the tank, back to the outside of the camper, usually right next to the fill port. When the tank got full, sometimes those vents would belch water up. But the gravity fill ports worked only because the tank had another vent.

I've never understood either, how anyone could use the vent as a filling location because of it creating a vacuum.

I understand filling from the tank drain. It drains from the bottom. That vent is at the top and will let the air escape as water fills from the bottom. Close off completely that vent, and even filling from the bottom, a vacuum will form quickly. To much pressure and the tank will break open or explode.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've learned over the years living in Florida to attach hose ends to each other when not being used. Too many lizards like to climb in the hose for warmth in the sun and then they block the water flow. Almost burnt up a pressure washer once before I figured that one out. Thankfully, the screen on the pressure washer inlet caught the carcass before it got into the pump.
Now I always run water through the hose before attaching the business end.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote