Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
Can't locate inverter on Montaqna High Country

SOS! I can't locate the inverter on my Montana High Country DBRS. I hooked up shore power and put the battery in after storing it all winter. The battery had a good charge as the lights all came on bright when I tried them. Unfortunately, the Refrigerator, AC and stereo did not come on. I quickly realized that I made a rookie mistake and attached the battery cables wrong (positive cable to negative terminal...). I reveresed it and everything worked great. Waited a few days to put out slides, no problems. Five days later while hooked to shroe power the whole time, battery is completely dead. I assume I did something to the inverter when I hooked up the battery wrong, though I am confused about why the 12 volt lights worked fine both with the battery hooked up wrong and after I switched the cables. I would have thought if I fried the inverter at that point, the 12 volt lights would not work. Anyway, shore power still on (microwave works...), but battery is dead. Anyone know where I should look for the inverter or have any idea why I have no battey power?

Drought Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's the converter your looking for and there are fuses to protect it from what you accidentally did. First thing to do is look in your fuse panel. There should be a couple of large fuses that are there to guard against just this type of situation. Our rigs are the same age so if they used an Iota box in yours also it's the two 40amp fuses on the left looking in. Since we don't have the same rig I'm not sure where your converter would be located. Ours is under the stairs.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I have an WFCO Panel Box and there are only 15 amp fuses in there. I see no higher amp fuses and nothing marked "reverse polarity". I did find a 30 amp fuse in the battery compartment, but that did not seem to help (I also think that goes to the slides as I have blown it before and had to repladce it to make the slides work again). Any other thoughts on where these fuses might be?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Here is a link to the WFCO 75amp converter manual. These models all use the same location for the Reverse Polarity fuses and depending on your model they use different fuses.
They may not be marked as reverse polarity but they will be side by side where the 12V connects to the converter and will either be 35 amp or 40 amp.

As has been said they are there to protect your converter in the event of an accidental incorrect hook up of the batteries.

LINK: http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/Image...rDocs/13-3.pdf

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
Ed, thanks so much. One final question. Do you know where the converter is on a fifthwheel (333DB)? I have been looking for two days and can't find it. Could it actually be behind the electrical panel box so that I have to remove that to get to it?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
I found my converter behind a hidden panel in one of the storage lockers. Both 40 amp fuses are blown. I am practically to the promised land. Thanks so much for all the advice and help.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
Good news. I found the converterbehind a hidden panel in one of the storage bins. Both 40 amp fuses were blown. I will replace these and hope this is it. Thank you all so much for all of the help.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Drought Buster

Good news. I found the converterbehind a hidden panel in one of the storage bins. Both 40 amp fuses were blown. I will replace these and hope this is it. Thank you all so much for all of the help.
Good to hear you have found the converter and the likely problem. I could not tell you where it was located on that model, my 3402RL has the panel in the bathroom and is easy access.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
On my rig, the front storage compartment rear wall looks to be solid all the way across and load bearing. It is covered with the charcoal grey felt like fabric. But if you look very closely you could see a seam about a foot into the compartment. If you look even closer you could find two black screws at the top and two black screws at the very bottom. Take out those screws and that small piece of the wall comes off and the converter is right there. Easy once you know that wall comes apart. Changed the fuses and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just a quick comment, depending on which converter is on these rigs, there can be 2, 3, or 4 fuses in the reverse polarity circuit of various amperages. The manual says to replace them, if blown, with the exact same sizes.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
CraigK75

M.O.C. #28758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drought Buster View Post
On my rig, the front storage compartment rear wall looks to be solid all the way across and load bearing. It is covered with the charcoal grey felt like fabric. But if you look very closely you could see a seam about a foot into the compartment. If you look even closer you could find two black screws at the top and two black screws at the very bottom. Take out those screws and that small piece of the wall comes off and the converter is right there. Easy once you know that wall comes apart. Changed the fuses and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks again for all the advice.
This is the same on my 2013 High Country. Unscrewed this panel and behind it was my inverter.
CraigK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
thegumbos
Established Member

M.O.C. #17166
I, too, am having a problem trying to locate the converter on our 2017 305RL High Country. I've looked behind the distribution panel, behind the walls in the basement and under the stairs. No luck! Anyone have this same rig and know where to look?
thegumbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegumbos View Post
I, too, am having a problem trying to locate the converter on our 2017 305RL High Country. I've looked behind the distribution panel, behind the walls in the basement and under the stairs. No luck! Anyone have this same rig and know where to look?
I watched a video on your model and it has the gas-electric refrigerator, unless it's been modified or removed. "Inverters" come equipped when the camper has a residential refrigerator (all electric, no gas). So that is probably the reason you are not able to find the "inverter".

If yours had an inverter, it would probably be located in the front pass-through, on the ceiling. You need to access it to manually turn it on and off when desired. Also, in your front bay area, you should have a separated switch to disconnect the battery that goes directly to the inverter. This is a separate switch than your main battery disconnect switch (probably located in your wet-bay area). If you do not have a battery cut off switch in your front bay, near your batteries, and you do not have the residential refrigerator, your unit does not have an inverter.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The Gumbos asked about a converter not an inverter as I read their question. I have no idea what power distribution system is in a 2017 MHC. The Progressive systems in the Montana have an integrated converter. The MHC might have a lesser power distribution system with a separate converter. What brand/model power system is installed?

If the converter is separate, it is usually under the steps behind the passenger side rear wall (which removes easily) of the pass through compartment. There will be a 120V outlet to supply power and cables to the battery and 12V fuse panel.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
On my 305RL the converter is located behind the basement wall on the door side, near the fuse panel. It is mounted upside down under the main floor. It's a very easy change out...3 screws, 2 main wires, a ground wire, and the plug that plugs into the back of the fuse panel. Just pull the fuse panel from the interior wall by the stairs, unplug the converter and drop it through the hole you'll see there. I dropped a cord through the hole to tie onto the new plug and pulled it up through.. The wires are color codes and require a hex wrench. Easy peazy

Also, for safety I disconnected from shore power and turned off the breaker to the converter. I also disconnected the batteries.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #16
thegumbos
Established Member

M.O.C. #17166
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm looking for the CONVERTER, not the inverter. Our old Montana 3280RL had the converter located alongside the distribution panel. Not our 305RL, and I can't seem to find it anywhere!
thegumbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #17
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegumbos View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm looking for the CONVERTER, not the inverter. Our old Montana 3280RL had the converter located alongside the distribution panel. Not our 305RL, and I can't seem to find it anywhere!
See my answer above
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #18
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I had a 2017 305RL - the converter is found by removing the back wall in the basement - it is attached to the bathroom floor - a pure devil to get to. Had to replace mine it went out.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote