Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
darbutis

M.O.C. #22845
Shower door handles

The handles on our shower doors keep loosening and falling off. I saw one post from 2016 that recommended super glue. Who else has had this problem and what did you do about it? Thank you. 2020 3121RL.

darbutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Don't know if yours is like mine - but one of my handles was loose when we first bought the unit. There is a rubber sheet gasket between the glass and the aluminum handle, and there is an allen screw. I tightened the allen screw and have had no further issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-07_14-41-03.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	9329  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
darbutis

M.O.C. #22845
Yep, exactly like ours. We do have the rubber gasket and have tightened the screw. And we still arrive at a destination and find the handle lying on the floor.
darbutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #4
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Use a little blue loctite on the threads.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Mine is exactly like that too. The problem is, the allen screw is too short, so mine just barely hangs on. Actually, I never thought about gluing it on. One small squirt of original Liquid Nails and it would never come off again! Great idea there!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:22 PM   #6
Husker92
Established Member

M.O.C. #14541
I have the same problem with the handles falling off my shower doors but I don’t have the Allen screw adjustment. Does anyone know if you can purchase them?
Old 07-18-2022, 06:46 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker92 View Post
I have the same problem with the handles falling off my shower doors but I don’t have the Allen screw adjustment. Does anyone know if you can purchase them?
Any hardware store that supplies nuts, bolts, screws, and nails. Check Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, ACE hardware, even some home grown Mom-N-Pop hardware stores if they still exist.

FYI, update on my own shower. Mine is the sliding 3 section type shower door. We got tired of fighting the first section falling down and dragging and the handle kept coming off, and the lock to keep the door from moving when traveling kept falling apart.

Last Fall, my wife said enough was enough. She had me remove them completely and we hung a shower curtain with a shower tension rod. I left the hardware attached to the wall and bottom, as removing them would have left unwanted holes. I removed the top rail where the rollers roll. Life in the shower has been much, much easier now! If we EVER sell the trailer, I can put them back up. They are stored away in the loft of my garage at home.

One nice benefit of using a shower curtain, we can change it at will. We've switched the shower curtain a couple times now and it changes the entire look of the bathroom immediately. We do not use those plastic $2.00 curtains purchased from the Dollar Store. We do like the ones that feel like fabric, nylon, or whatever and have a decorative valance attached with it. They look nice, can be swapped out at will, and best of all ... no hardware falling apart!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:57 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Clean everything off the handle and the glass, squirt a bunch of silicone caulking into the groove of the handle and push it onto the glass where it's supposed to be, and secure it with some masking tape until the caulking has cured. It will stay on until you sell the RV.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:34 PM   #9
Spmcgll
Established Member

M.O.C. #27936
Darbutis, We have 2021 3120RL and have been fortunate to travel cross country more than once and we too can not keep the door handles in place with just the silly rubber strips they use to push them on. Under warranty the Dealer has installed them 3 times but with the same rubber strips and second or third day of an extended trip they are on the floor. I spoke with Keystone “Tech Support” this morning and was at first told to reinstall the handles but tighten the screws and the Rep was miffed when I told her there were holes in the two door panels at the location of the handles but the handles did not come with tapped holes in which to place a screw. And neither did the replacement handles the Dealer supplied. Being surprised the Rep put me on hold so she could speak with another Technician and returned with the response to cut a piece of wood to fit in the track to hold the doors open when traveling. So with a bit of sarcasm I stated the Trailer did not come with a wood strip to fit. I also spoke with the Dealer’s Service Manager and he indicated they use a DuPont Betaseal U-428 Plus for similar applications but he did not indicate how to apply. I say that as some of the Dupont U-428 line also is supplied with a small tube of glass etching liquid applicator. When I asked the Rep if I could purchase a set of handles with the set screws she responded I could look to Trekwood.com as they handle all Keystone parts. As luck would have it the similar handles in their catalogue appear to be without the set screws and also indicate NLA. So looks like I will go with the Dupont product which also is a tube size that indicates it does not fit a standard caulking gun.
Spmcgll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 03:58 AM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
If I have to reinstall my handle again - I would put a piece of this double sided tape on both sides of the glass, then slide the handle over the strips…press and hold tight for a minute. I will bet that I would not need the Allen screw. I have become pretty confident in this tape for various small jobs and keep a roll handy.

Rorhman’s suggestion to use silicone is also fool proof. Use what you have on hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	14946  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:59 AM   #11
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Nothing we did would keep the handles on. We removed the frame and doors altogether and put up a tension rod with a shower curtain. This was a year and a half ago. We are still very please with the results. The trailer has also lost weight as a result.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 09:50 AM   #12
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Agreed, on removing frame and doors. I did the same and am very happy with the way my shower is for over a year and 1/2. Eliminating that bottom track ends all the water hiding underneath it and molding.