Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
jfbritt
Established Member

M.O.C. #23856
Winterize Switch Information

My Montana has a ‘Winterize’ switch in the convenience center. The Keystone winterize instructions say to turn the ‘Winterize’ switch to ‘ON’ when winterizing. What is the function of this switch? What does it bypass? Should the switch be turned ‘ON’ regardless of winterize method used, anti-freeze or compressed air? Any input will help educate me.

jfbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
That VALVE opens up the line to the suction side of the water pump so when winterizing, and you have already bypassed the water heater tank, a hose into a bottle of antifreeze and the water pump turned on, will put antifreeze into your plumbing. You of course have to open individual faucets to allow the antifreeze to travel to the various faucets. The picture below is a plumbing diagram I drew up some years ago of the plumbing looking at the rear of the convenience center. The blue lines in the pictures of the valves indicates normal water flow, so on the Winterize valve, when turned to Winterize, you can follow the blue water line directly to the suction side of the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing schematic.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	8765  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
here is another if it helps
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...terize-your-rv
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In a nut shell, the switch (valve), changes where the on-board water pump pulls form (or sucks from). In the normal position, the pump draws water from the fresh water tank. In the other (winterize) position, it pulls water from winterizing port, where you'll have attached a hose, and the other end of a hose goes into a bucket or a gallon jug of RV antifreeze.

The winterizing port can be used for other things also, for example, pumping sanatizing solutions through the water lines (fed from a bucket), or if you water heater goes out, you can heat water on your stove top, pour it into a bucket, and then pump the hot water to your shower for a (very short), warm shower.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
Oldgreymayor

M.O.C. #29932
Winterizing

I did all the steps, but my bleach doesn’t suck into the lines. The water pump runs, but nothing comes out the faucet.
Oldgreymayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgreymayor View Post
I did all the steps, but my bleach doesn’t suck into the lines. The water pump runs, but nothing comes out the faucet.

If your antifreeze jug (or in your case, the bleach) is on the ground, you probably have to raise it up, at least level or higher to the hose connection in the wet bay / convenience center. There is a check valve right behind the hose connection, behind that filter screen where the hose connects. A lot of folks remove that screen and then remove the in-line valve and then there is enough suction to pull the antifreeze up from ground level.

Honestly, I tried doing that and didn't feel comfortable removing that check valve. I find it easier to simply rest the jug of antifreeze on the top of the bay door (mine flips up), which makes the jug higher and then the pump works with no problem.

Simple solution, raise the antifreeze jug higher than the bay. Next, insert the hose into the jug. Then turn the water pump on. Then turn a faucet on in that order.

Once it starts sucking, shut the faucet off and let the line pressurize until the water pump equalizes and shuts off. Then you are good to go. Open one faucet at a time until pink stuff (or in your case, the bleach) starts flowing. Then move to the next one.

If you are filling your fresh water tank, connect the outside shower hose to the fill fresh water tank connection and turn on the outside shower. Instead of letting the water (or antifreeze, or bleach) run on the ground, it will run into the fresh water thank and then it will be sanitized too.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
Oldgreymayor

M.O.C. #29932
Thanks for the info. I’ll follow each step.
Oldgreymayor is offline   Reply With Quote