Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2020, 02:24 AM   #21
Falcon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
The truck wiring is too small to do any real charging. I use the same Honda's with no problem. I assume you are using a 50 to 30 dogbone that plugs into the Honda A unit that is then jumpered with special wires supplied by Honda to the B unit. By now you should know you need and are using a bonding plug as well. Highly recommend using a Trimetric TM2030-RV, voltage is not a reliable way to measure a battery. Did you upgrade your stock junk batteries to Trojan T105's or similar?
No idea what a bonding plug is. Or a TM2030. I bought the unit used so I don't know if it has junk batteries in it, they seem to be pretty healthy, judging from the load test and the voltage and amperage readings.

Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:31 AM   #22
Falcon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
I think what Bill meant was converter, an inverter turns DC into AC. When you do this, disconnect the battery cable and measure voltage of the converter leads and after an hour measure the battery. You have to let a battery 'settle' to get an accurate reading.

Keep in mind an RV converter is designed for a system where you are always plugged in and its job is to simply act as a trickle charger.
He may have meant inverter, it displays the incoming DC voltage when it's operating. When you say to disconnect the battery cable, do I just pick one? I have about 8 or 9 cables on my two batteries. Where are these converter leads? I don't understand the entire process you're describing.
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
He may have meant inverter, it displays the incoming DC voltage when it's operating. When you say to disconnect the battery cable, do I just pick one? I have about 8 or 9 cables on my two batteries. Where are these converter leads? I don't understand the entire process you're describing.
I believe they're talking about the negative cable that goes from the negative post to the campers frame. It would be beneficial for you to put a disconnect switch between that negative post and the frame so you can turn it off anytime you want
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
If in an emergency plug a battery charger into your generator and use it to charge your batteries . But disconnect your other charging devices as they will interfere with each other. This is usually a far more efficient and quicker method of charging.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote