Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
wall strut failure

so we had a problem with a wall strut in our 305RL HC busting loose from its anchor point next to the dining/recliner slide. Fix it shop says it was a design flaw in the rv with the wall struts too flimsy to support the anchor points thus breaking loose and the whole wall moving in and out with the slide operation. contacted Montana and they denied the claim saying there is no mfg defect even though the shop repair invoice stated the contrary. Heads up to anyone with the cable slides, especially the larger slides as the wall struts are not beefy enough to withstand repeated slide operations. $1200 repair bill to re-weld and renforce the anchor point on only one side of the slide... just saying!!!

ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Did you start a file with Keystone and get approval for the repair folks to look at it before they started?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
They repaired mine even though it was out of warranty on my 2016 HC 375FL. At the time it was 2 months past.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
I started a file with keystone before work was completed. I had a bad experience with a shop keystone sent me to on a previous warranty problem so I used a shop I am confident with. The shop completed the work with all the specs required by Keystone but they still denied the claim. I am glad bad99rm had his rv repaired however I am going to get rid of this RV as soon as I can afford it. The slide anchor points are a bad design due to the light weight wall struts and welds supporting the pulleys.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
I certainly know how you feel. My last unit a 2013 Jayco had 3 back walls replaced and didn't solve the leak problem, Also the Schwintec slide system was problems from day one. I had two slides, that the motors went bad, a entire wiring harness, and the entire slide system the second time around. I had it fixed and goodby.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Herb-- Sorry to hear about your problem with the wall struts. The reason Keystone more than likely denied your claim is because it wasn't turned into them BEFORE the work was started. If you or the shop you took it to would have contacted them BEFORE any work was started, they more than likely would have approved it but they would have required photos of the problem first. The High Country put out by Montana is a light weight unit and the design is made of lighter materials. I would guess that there was no design defect but a bad weld job by the company that furnished the walls for Keystone. This is the problem with the frame flex when it rears it's ugly head on units. It's not the design but a bad weld job in most cases that is the cause. Sorry you have the problem and hope you get things straightened out.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
Tanks Rondo for the info. I suppose you might be right with the shop not coordinating with Keystone before the work was completed. I personally don't think it would have made a difference with the attitude from Keystone. My warranty was up in 2017 which is what the customer Service people kept reiterating. I don't think there should be an expiration date on a factory defect. I have moved on however a bit poorer in the pocket book and I do not have much confidence in the longevity of the remaining anchor struts that have not been fixed with the other two slides.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Wall Strut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo123 View Post
so we had a problem with a wall strut in our 305RL HC busting loose from its anchor point next to the dining/recliner slide. Fix it shop says it was a design flaw in the rv with the wall struts too flimsy to support the anchor points thus breaking loose and the whole wall moving in and out with the slide operation. contacted Montana and they denied the claim saying there is no mfg defect even though the shop repair invoice stated the contrary. Heads up to anyone with the cable slides, especially the larger slides as the wall struts are not beefy enough to withstand repeated slide operations. $1200 repair bill to re-weld and renforce the anchor point on only one side of the slide... just saying!!!
Dear ojo123,
I've sent you a PM to try and help.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
well whataya know, I got a call from the general manager of Keystone and they have agreed to reimburse a portion of the repair bill for my wall strut failure in my 2017 305RL HC. I want to thank the forum for allowing us a tool to address and review other owner issues regarding Keystone products. Kudos to Keystone for stepping up for the consumer for once.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Good News!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
wall strut

my 2017 high country 310RE did the same thing right by the entry door, keystone covered it. but our dealer informed us they would cover it themselves regardless. I also was told that the overall structure is built the same as the higher end montanas. Its all the other extra things that make the weight up
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Wow. Just took my brand new 305RL out for a trial camping weekend. Brought the driver's side slide in and bang, the upper corner cable bracket ripped out of the wall. Had to climb up on the slide roof, squeeze in, remove the cables, pulley bracket, pound the wall flat, reposition the bracket, drill new holes and remont it with monster lag bolts. Then restring cables and tension the system. Was able to do it all before check out time. It helps to be only 76 years old.

At home, reworked all the other slides. Probably spent $10 total. Many thanks to the folks on YouTube. Also, thanks to you guys here that taught me it wasn't something I did wrong with my slide. Shame on Keystone for cutting corners.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
Had same thing happen to us only it was on the other side. The frig. and stove slide broke the wall strut and the whole wall needed welded. Cable slides put a bind on the walls and break the studs loose from the floor. Finally traded the piece of junk in. Had a 2015 305RL HC. I would never buy a rig no matter what the make that has cable slides. They wanted $3000 to fix the problem. Hydraulic slides for me. Plus I love the hydraulic 6 point leveling system. I can feel your pain! I had the same.
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #14
rodw6rod
Established Member

M.O.C. #18043
Wall Struts Problem

The exact same thing happened to our 2015 293RK High Country. It was about 6 months after the 1 year warranty was up and wall problems are apparently not covered in the extended warranty plan. After reading the posts of people that had the same problem I think it must be a definite design problem if the sliders are pulling the wall struts apart.

Took it back to Pan Pacific RV Center which is the Montana dealer in Morgan Hill where it was purchased. They repaired it. I think repairs cost $1500-2000 if I recall correctly. Pan Pacific had to beef up the struts near the slider and fabricate a bracket to help support the slider. No problems since (knock on wood).
rodw6rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
dukfan

M.O.C. #18443
Send a message via AIM to dukfan
Cable Slides

Only had out 305RL 9 months and the 'pop' in the wall on the large slide, finding out it was a weak support. About a month later, the kitchen slide, right by the door snapped. Knew right away what it was. Took it back in, and our dealership repaired the other two as being precautionary. All under warranty thank goodness. However, fixing the first one, the cable wasn't adjusted correctly and caused it to fail. Thankful for YouTube and Amazon for the parts and how to repair it. Bought two cables, one to have on hand....for $30. Wish more pride was built into the units.
dukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #16
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Poor quality

These mfg shouldn't be allowed to put out such junk and it seems to get worse every year. Almost considering giving up camping all together. My money doesn't grow on trees like these MFG think it does. Just imagine if the automobile companies operated the same way in building Auto. It just isn't right.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
ancha71

M.O.C. #17231
ojo123,
Would it be possible to send me a picture of the area that broke? I have a 2015 HC 305RL and want to be ready with appropriate parts when it happens to me!! I have heard a few large pops in that same area but that was last year and I haven't heard it since or experienced any issues. My 305RL received a recall early last year so Keystone could install larger bolts on the slide out brackets. I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to?
ancha71
ancha71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
Hi ancha71
there is no parts to buy... the wall strut breaks away from its mounting point and needs re-welding and reinforcing.. Not something I think a homeowner can do unless you have a welder that can weld aluminum and the skills to weld aluminum.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #19
ancha71

M.O.C. #17231
Wall Strut

ojo123,
Thank you for the information. I will conduct a closer inspection this weekend.
My neighbor is a pretty good welder and will ask for his help if I find an issue with the strut.
ancha71
ancha71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #20
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
As previously said (hydraulic slides for me). I will keep my 2011 with 4 of them. With hydraulic slides there is nothing mechanical between the slides and the walls, only rubber seals, hence nothing is pulling or pushing on each other. IMHO all other types of slides are a problem waiting to happen.

They just don't build them like they used to.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote