Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Rsc373
Established Member

M.O.C. #18890
WFCO WF 5110H issues

We are seasonals, so were always on "shore power" last week I noticed the the inverter fan wasn't running, and the LED lights and screen were off. So I did a little research and found that reseting it, discounting from battery and unplugging from AC worked, of so I thought. This weekend again nothing. This time I found out that if I unscrew the fuse and unplug form AC it'll run for a few minutes then shuts off again. If I leave it unplugged from AC it seems to run fine on battery, yellow LED comes on and LCD displays 14vac. Also, I noticed right before it shuts off "E 003" shows up. Can't find error code list anywhere. Our campground neighbors have the same inverter in their High Country runs all the time. So my question is, should it run all time like neighbors? Does it "sleep" until it needs to run the fridge? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

Rsc373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am confused. What Montana model do you have? Are you referring to the inverter which runs a residential refrigerator.? (I am unfamiliar with a WFCO WF 5110

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Rsc373
Established Member

M.O.C. #18890
Sorry, yep have a 2016 3911FB. We an inverter that runs the residential fridge when on battery. WF5110 is inverter model nu
Rsc373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The owners manual states the fan is a 'Loading controlled cooling fan', which I would take as it doesn't run when the loading is low enough that natural cooling will maintain a safe operating temperature. When it warms up to the set temperature, when the electric load is higher, the fan will run. There was no mention of codes in the owners manual. http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...ors-Manual.pdf
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Interesting, I just replaced the inverter in our HC 353RL. It was even replaced under warrantee by mfg. On shore power, it would pass the 120 VAC to run the 120 VAC unit connected but it has never seemed to work on the batteries for the Samsung Res. frig. I had no power out. The red indicator light was the giveaway. DEAD!

Contact the mfg and they have a process to get you a new one if you are trying to get it covered under warrantee. You give them a credit card and they send you the new one. You then return you old unit, they test and if bad, your exchange is covered.

Once I got new unit installed, the output is correct and lights are right. However, my only problem is the line out of the inverter runs to the TV and not the frig, which tells me why we never thought the frig worked on battery, because it didn’t.

If you have the inverter “on”, the fan seems to run all the time (as you neighbor said). I have decided to turn the unit off with the switch and I will turn on when we are on the move as needed. I think the fan is only needed when you are in battery inverter mode. The new unit came with a remote switch set up. Of course, that is once I rewire the inverter to the frig – thank you Montana!

Hope this helps. Good luck -Steve
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Just replaced mine- missed the warranty by two months- the only time I turn mine on is when I'm moving and am unplugged from shore power. Other than that its turned off at the switch.
If you or anyone need to buy one check online at "Best Inverter .com or Best RV and Truck Supply" both the same place. Had the cheapest price I could find-$385 plus shipping. Prices ran from $595 down. Or be lucky enough to still be under warranty, also WFCO doesn't repair them or sell retail. I am still trying to find someplace that will check and maybe repair my old one just in case.
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Agree WFCO does not repair, but it takes someone who does board level diagnosis to repair. Not many place have this capability.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote