Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 AM   #21
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Excellent comments from all. On most of our Trucks we have had extra fuel tanks and the Truck we now have has two twin 80 gal. tanks. And we don't have to fuel up very often and can shop for fuel according to price. As for stopping we research the night before on places to stop and we stop every 2 hours and only run about 250 to 300 miles per day. I highly recomend the additional fuel tanks and the transfer tanks are great also and cheaper. And many times I will put in 60 gals (600 + miles) if the fuel is cheaper on down the road. I really never liked the idea of hauling around 5 gal cans of fuel? I always look at fuel price in different States and refuse to buy fuel in the high tax fuel States. For example in our home county, we are 15 miles to the nearest Diesel stations, but I will not buy fuel in our county, because of price. Thirty miles away its always 20 to 25 cents a gal cheaper. I also use my Freightliner as a fuel station when at home for the John Deere Tractor. There are many pluses for having extra fuel capacity. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jay Bird

Clemson1881,
I have a 50 gal Transfer Flow Tank with TRAC II readout. I got it through Rowells, Inc, Indian Trail, NC.
Rowells is a great place. I got my exhaust, exhaust brake, etc from them. Also had them install the US Gear Aux Transmission (I picked up on Craigslist), since they use to carry it.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #23
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I carry 3 or 4 five gal cans of diesel in my toolbox but it sure is a pain getting them out if I need them. Truth is, I have only needed to use the fuel in the cans a handful of times because we almost always have to stop every couple hours. I would like to find another way to carry extra fuel without being so expensive to install.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #24
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I just had the 37 gallon under-the-Pace/Edwards-cover Transfer Flow tank with the Trac II system installed in my truck. Installation was completed yesterday but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I was carrying two 5 gallon jugs in the bed but the flow rate out of these self-venting things was very slow. I also had reservations about carrying those plastic jugs in the event of an accident.

We're gearing up for summer travels to Ocean City, MD, Sandusky, Ohio, and Goshen, Indiana and any and all places in between!!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
I have a 109 gal transfer flow transfer tank in the fron of the truck bed to feed my 6.7L Cummins. I couldn't live without it. It gives me about 134 gal capacity (full to dry) and the weight has not cause any problem. I make it from Washington state to Alaska in the spring(or visa versa)in the fall without having to buy diesel in Canada - I travel between Alaska and parts South annually. I use side-bed tool boxes in the rear for my 'possibles' so I don't mind the loss of bed space in the front. When traveling I check a website that gives me fuel prices and locations including addressess. Sometimes I will go slightly out of the way to buy fuel but otherwise I just choose the price I'm willing to pay on my route. I think I save money overall but mostly I just feel good about it. I still make regular "fuel" stops where ever its convenient to me (rest areas or truck stops- where ever I want) but instead of buying fuel there I simply pump from my own tank into the main truck tank. I don't mind the effort...it's a leg stretcher and a nice break. I do love driving by high priced fuel!!
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #26
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have a custom 72 gallon aluminum transfer tank in the back of the F250. It fits between the hitch and back of cab (short box bed) and still is below the bed line. With 100 gallon total capacity it allows us to shop for fuel. We also travel lots of back roads so we do not worry if we can find (and fit in to to the pumps if trailer attached) diesel in small towns or pay their high prices.

The transfer tank is also nice because of the large fuel opening. So I can use the truck pumps at full speed.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #27
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bullroc3

I just had the 37 gallon under-the-Pace/Edwards-cover Transfer Flow tank with the Trac II system installed in my truck. Installation was completed yesterday but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

I was carrying two 5 gallon jugs in the bed but the flow rate out of these self-venting things was very slow. I also had reservations about carrying those plastic jugs in the event of an accident.

We're gearing up for summer travels to Ocean City, MD, Sandusky, Ohio, and Goshen, Indiana and any and all places in between!!
That is the same tank I have John, and I really like it. It automatically refills when I get just below 1/2. I did not opt for the added monitoring system......I can tell by the tripometer where I'm at regarding fuel left. Also, once that main gauge heads south of 1/2, you know you're depleted in the auxiliary. Have total capacity now just over 60 gallons and the added weight isn't excessive. Used to have to stop about every 200 miles, and that was very annoying on a longer trip. Ya, I have to stop for the "rest" stop also, but it's alot easier and faster pulling a quick stop at a rest area instead of having to find a fuel place I can get into and out of and not have to wait in line. I also run an auto transport some of the time, so the tank has been an awesome addition!
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
I'm considering a Northern Tool transfer tank. They are about $599 - $699 minus the transfer kit. One question ... with that much fuel are there any additives needed to keep it fresh over long periods?
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #29
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Guess I wouldn't fill both tanks if I thought it would sit that long.
I use Stanadyne anyway because I have an earlier diesel and like to be covered with the new fuels.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
I don't know about gasoline but for diesel I've only had one problem with fuel from my transfer tank. I usually use enough fuel to not have a problem with age. I did make one mistake last fall, however. I filled my transfer tank with summer diesel (I live in Alaska) and then it panned out that I didn't use it until after the cold weather set in. Later, in late November when it was about 5 degrees F I I fired it up with that summer fuel in the main tank. No problem starting it with using the cold weather starting procedure for my cummins. After about 30 seconds it died. To make a long story short my summer diesel gelled in the cold. After finally getting it running (the main tank was only about 3/8 full so I could add winter diesel and dilute it). Now, in March, I'm finally able to use what is in the transfer tank because it has warmed up. Lesson learned!!
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote