Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
TV tires

Hi everyone, haven't been able to post for a while since buying a home and not having internet set up yet, so I stole a few minutes on the work computer.
I have a question for the tire Gurus out there. Since putting new tires on my TV, it has seemed a little squirrely. I've had an alignment done with little improvement. Talking to a tire guy at Sams Club the other day, was asking about a new set of Michelin's and explained what was going on. He ask about the shoulder of the tires, if it was square or more rounded. Mine have a sharp square edge, and he said that may be the problem as that type shoulder tends to track on irregularities in the road more than tires with a more rounded shoulder.
Is this possible or was he blowing smoke trying to make the sale? I'm one of those guys who just doesn't like that uncomfortable feeling in my stomach when the truck doesn't always go where I direct it, and if a different tire will improve things, then I all about that. Right now feeling safe is more important than the $$$.

Thanks in advance.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Check him out. Drive on a smooth road and then again on a lesser road and see if it is more"squirrelly" on the worse road. He coulsd be right.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I put a set of coopers on the rear of my truck and the same thing happend. I have had them for a couple of yrs and as they wear down they seem better. I will go with a harder sidewall when I replace them.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
The last two sets of tires I have put on our TV have been from Costco. They are the Michelin LTX. The first set were the M/S and the second set are the A/T's. I have never had a problem with either, and really like them both.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have had that problem with two sets of tires. Goodyear Trackers from Walmart and Michelin LTX M/S. I bought the Michelins from Discount Tire. After 900 miles of squirrelly driving pulling the Montana I stopped at another Discount and swapped them for BFG Commercial TA and the problem disappeared. For what it is worth I have had two knowledgeable people retired from Goodyear and Firestone tell me it is all in the tread. If the inner and outer sections/ribs of your tread are sections of rubber the tire will squirm under heavy load. If sections are joined making for a somewhat solid rib the tire will be more stable.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #6
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
My previous truck was a Ford 250. The original tires were Firestones. When I replaced them I could not get the exact tires so I got the closest I could. The tread pattern was different and they were squirley from day one.
On my Chevy, I have put Michelin LTX m/s on one the front axle and Michelin RIB on the back. Both track true and straight.
The RIB is not recommended for winter use but I have used them in snow and they are okay. Since we spend most of the winter in Florida, it's okay.
Good luck.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By Gramps

Talking to a tire guy at Sams Club the other day, was asking about a new set of Michelin's and explained what was going on. He ask about the shoulder of the tires, if it was square or more rounded. Mine have a sharp square edge, and he said that may be the problem as that type shoulder tends to track on irregularities in the road more than tires with a more rounded shoulder.
Before I can give an answer to your question, a couple of other questions need answered;
1. What is the tire size?
2. What is the tire make?
3. What is the tire model?
4. What is the air pressure in the tires?
A tire with a sharp square edge, and open tread design (wide gaps in tread), is more prone to "road walking" than a tire with a slightly rounded shoulder that has a more compacted tread design (narrow gaps in tread).

8.1al probably described it better than I just did.
Quote:
quote:If the inner and outer sections/ribs of your tread are sections of rubber the tire will squirm under heavy load. If sections are joined making for a somewhat solid rib the tire will be more stable.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Joeagrant
Established Member

M.O.C. #9499
When I was looking for new tires, the man at Firestone told me that the ones that they sold would be a little unstable until the tread wore down a little. What's with that?? So I went for Nitto Dura Grapplers. Nice tread, smooth, quiet ride, and seem to be holding up very well.
Joeagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al
For what it is worth I have had two knowledgeable people retired from Goodyear and Firestone tell me it is all in the tread. If the inner and outer sections/ribs of your tread are sections of rubber the tire will squirm under heavy load. If sections are joined making for a somewhat solid rib the tire will be more stable.
My "visualizer" is not working very well, today. Does this mean if there are gaps radially along the circumference of the tire or does it mean if there are gaps across the tread, causing the tread on the edge of the tire to be more narrow?

Sorry to be dense and confused.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Don't blame yourself Steve, I had a hard time explaining this. If you look at the tread of your tire you will see 4 or 5 sections or ribs running the circumference. The inner and outer rib or shoulder is not a solid rib it will have slits and grooves in it. If they go all the way down to the casing or main part of the tire it is like seperate pieces of rubber stuck onto the casing and will tend to squirm. If the grooves and slits just go part way down the rubber in the shoulder is more solid and stable. I hope this is more understandable
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Charlie, that is much more understandable to this dense old brain. I just went out and looked at the BFG Rugged Trail T/A tires on our truck. While part of those grooves do go all or most of the way down, the other 35 to 40 percent go only part way. And they're not straight, they're staggered, which might play a role in stability, too. In any case, before your explanation I had never noticed this construction. And I sure would not have understood why it's that way. So thanks to you for that. Shoot, I'm a picture guy, as you all already know. Here's two pictures of what I saw on our tires.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
LonnieB,

They are Toyo, 235/85-16,not sure of the exact model but they are H/Ts, tire pressures are 65 front and 60 rear (per the truck specs on the door).

As described by 8.1al, the inner and outer rib form the shoulder of the tires. I had tires with tread similar to what sreigle shows in his fine photos on previous trucks, and they always felt more stable than what I'm running now.
Now, another question. If I were to replace the tires on the TV, would the tires I currently have work on the Monty or would I get the same wander on the trailer? These are less than a year old and I would hate to waste them if they would adequately replace the Missions.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gramps

LonnieB,

They are Toyo, 235/85-16,not sure of the exact model but they are H/Ts, tire pressures are 65 front and 60 rear (per the truck specs on the door).

As described by 8.1al, the inner and outer rib form the shoulder of the tires. I had tires with tread similar to what sreigle shows in his fine photos on previous trucks, and they always felt more stable than what I'm running now.
Now, another question. If I were to replace the tires on the TV, would the tires I currently have work on the Monty or would I get the same wander on the trailer? These are less than a year old and I would hate to waste them if they would adequately replace the Missions.
I know Dave Anderson has Toyo's on his truck as well as his Montana. And there are a couple of us with Toyo's on our RV. Dave has never mentioned a problem with tracking but I don't know which specific tire he has.

None of us has noticed any problem with Toyo's on the RV.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Gramps,
I believe the tire you have is the Toyo Open Country H/T. I have never used or sold this tire, so I don't have any first hand experience with it. I have used and sold (still do) the Toyo Open Country A/T, and I have had a couple of complaints about them feeling a little "squirmy" when first installed. I personally never felt it on my truck, and would still be useing them if the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo wasn't available. Toyo builds a good tire, and the Open Country H/T looks like it would be a very stable tread design. I'm really surprised you are haveing tracking problems with it.
As to putting them on your Montana? As long as the trailer doesn't outweigh the capacity of the tires, they will work fine. The tire is rated for 3042 pounds at 80 psi.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lonnie, I don't know that any of us who have been around here for awhile have ever thanked you for sharing your wealth of tire knowledge and experience. I have learned an awful lot from you and appreciate your willingness to help us out. Thank you very much.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Steve,
Thank you sir. That means a great deal to me coming from someone as knowledgeable as you on so many different subjects. I have to admit though, helping you guys has also helped me. Occasionally, a question about tires is brought up that I don't know the answer to, which forces me to research and learn. On top of that, the knowledgeable folks of the MOC have taught me more about RVing than I could have learned through many years of experience. Thank you all.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Thanks everyone, all of you have been very helpful. Lonnie, special thanks to you. I could ask the local dealers, but ultimately, they're looking to make a sale, whereas you provide you knowledge with no expectation of payment. Thank You, Sir. This kills two birds with one stone. New Skins for the truck and the Missions go away putting new rubber on the road and the spare, plus a backup just in case.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
I've had the Michelin ATX M/S tires on my TV. Currently have 36000 on them and they should go another 20,000. Been very happy with them.
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #19
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Wish Lonnie was close by so I could buy from him.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That comment made me go check to see where Lonnie lives as I'd love to meet him, too. I see that in our first week of fulltiming back in 2003 we passed through his town when we went from Amarillo to Clovis on US 60, then to Roswell on US 70. We didn't know Lonnie then, though. Some day I want to retrace our steps on that first week of fulltiming and this time we'll make arrangements to stop and buy Lonnie and his wife lunch in thanks for all his contributions.