Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #21
jerrygering
Established Member

M.O.C. #7210
I purchased Banks, in Feb 2008 for GMC 2500. I contacted Banks for a dealers list, only to have salesman from Banks call to sell direct. He provided info and price, and I was interested, but assummed there was no dealer near Louisville, KY since they had contacted me direct. I asked about installation, and they said they had someone in Louisville, that did installations. I wanted to check them out, so I visited their sevice counter, only to see Banks equipment all over the place. Diesel Injector Service. They had been a dealer for years, had Banks on their delivery vans, and the person I spoke to knew more than the salesman in CA.
I didn't know whether to cancel my order with CA, and purchase from the dealer, or continue. Diesel Injection said they would install it and they did, dispite a mix up by CA on the engine in my truck.
Big mistake buying from CA and maybe Banks.
In summer 2008, near Hendersonville, NV I had what was diagnosed as fuel filter problem, although filter had been replaced. Chevrolet dealer did not want to work on GMC, then charged $169 to change fuel filter, finally did reset engine warning computer, but disconnected Banks, would not reconnect nor show me what he had disconnected. Checked with Banks, no service center or dealer nearby. After digging out books, decided it could only be two connections and was able to fix.
In 2009, in the middle of TX lost power, down to 35 miles an hour. Engine warning and Banks warning. I contemplated being towed or continue slowly. Oil pressure, temperature, seemed OK. Continued to Ft Stockton, TX, small dealership, was closed for lunch. Wound up talking to owner who was quite nice. They couldn't diagnose problem, but disconnected Banks and went for 80 miles an hour test drive. No problem, he recommended I leave Banks disconnected, stating it was either an intermittant problem, or the Banks system had a electronic problem. I drove 8000 miles with no problems, without the Banks. During which time I realized I didn't miss it that much, and my mileage might have been better without it.
Here comes the best part. I contacted Diesel Injection, and they said since I had purchased it direct, Banks would not approve of them doing warranty work. I contacted Banks, and they said just disconnect it, put it in a box and send it to CA. I indicated that I didn't feel confortable disconnecting cables that included multiple wires running in all directions. This was not disconnecting plugs, it was disconnecting things between the GMC computer, Banks computer, the battery, inside the cab, and somewhere else that I don't know what it was. When I asked why I couldn't just take it to a dealer, and have them take care of it, they indicated it had to go to CA. I wanted the dealer, to take the old off, and replace or fix the new one but not possible.
I had Diesel Injection, take it off for 3/4 hour labor, and I sent it to Banks. A month later I received the same unit back, no explanation of what was done, if anything. I called Banks, and said I wasn't excited about paying to have it reinstalled, with no information about what the problem was. The Representive has not been able to determine what the problem was, or what was done in over one month, and couldn't find the tech report.
In the meantime Diesel Injection services has taken Banks off the shelf, and are very concerned about Banks selling direct, and requiring direct services. They state Banks has dissed all there dealers, and most no longer will deal with Banks.
So therefore, before you buy Banks, consider whether you want to buy direct, what a dealer can do for you with Banks, and whether it's all worth it. For me its not, I am not going to reconnect the system, and that part is just money down the drain.

jerrygering is offline   Reply With Quote