Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Hitches, who knew?

Isn't it amazing how little things can make such a big difference? In my quest for the perfect hitch,(or at least a better one that won't kill the camping budget), the one detail I never gave much thought to, was where the hitch mechanism is locationed in relation to the hitch plate. I was frustrated with my RBW Little Rocker, because the hitch would still bind up if I wasn't exactly level when un-hooking. After all, the head pivots front to back and side to side to make this easier. Then it was brought to my attention that if the mechanism doesn't pivot with the head, the draw bar can still bind on the king pin. I've looked at dozens of hitches, and this never crossed my mind. As Forest Gump would say, stupid is as stupid does. Hence the Reese 16K Select.
Thought I'd share just in case there are more of me out there.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats what I have Reese 16K, simple is always better. to many moving parts on those sliders. If needed, I could load my trailer on at a 90 degreese I did it once to just see if I could, I did have the table at the same higth as the pin so no stress was applied to the front leveling legs, and no slamming please.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gramps, I'm very easily confused. So maybe you can help unconfuse me. Years and years ago I had a Lil Rocker. Nice hitch. I know that if the angle is more than the hitch will articulate, then you still have that binding. That's true of all hitches.

But I think you are saying the hitch handle is attached to the stationary portion of the hitch and does not rotate with the hitch head, right? Thus, it is possible for the angle of the fifthwheel to make it impossible to fully extend that release handle?

Did I get it right or do I remain confused? If right, then you are correct, I never gave that any thought. But it sure would be something to consider when purchasing a new hitch. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
sreigle, you are not confused. The hitch mechanism is attached to the portion of the hitch that pivots front to rear. The hitch plate, the part that pivots side to side, meerly attaches to the part with the draw bar in it. So, as you were thinking, the draw bar stays paralell to the truck bed while the hitch plate pivots, and thus binds the kingpin on the drawbar. If the truck and trailer aren't quite square to each other, the release handle just won't extend. I liked the RBW hitches and used them for a while now, but with the Reese that we now use, the entire hitch head, mechanism and all, pivots, allowing me to unhook smoothly.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote