Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #21
Fishinstreamers
Established Member

M.O.C. #23988
Update:
I replaced said breaker and the system works perfectly again!
Thank you to all!

Fishinstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #22
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by govslug View Post
while we are on this subject....similar situation...found the battery was cooked...we keep it on shore power at the house so battery was baked out...I have a disconnect switch I want to install . Can I put it on the ground side of the battery ? The hot side will still have power coming into the battery , will this still cause my battery problems ?
I put mine on the battery +ve before the +ve bus bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_084205.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	6845  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #23
govslug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19741
so it doesn't stay charging when it's on shore power....turn it on every couple weeks to charge up...then open switch . Turn it on when we go on the road .
6.0 Power Stroke Diesel
govslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #24
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
so it doesn't stay charging when it's on shore power....turn it on every couple weeks to charge up...then open switch . Turn it on when we go on the road .
Any time the trailer is in use, the battery should be connected. The converter isn’t really designed to provide all of the 12v power to the trailer. The battery acts as a “cushion” for the system. Battery maintenance is just a part of owning an RV. You need to check electrolyte levels in the batteries a few times a year. You could always switch to AGM or lithium batteries if you want to lessen the amount of maintenance, but you still need to check condition of connections periodically. Cut off switch can be installed on either positive or negative cable.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #25
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
At home I have 50A plugged in all the time.
I leave the batteries connected.
The Progressive Dynamics PD4575 converter I have takes care of them automatically.
You need to look up the manual on your converter to find out how it operates. It should not boil the battery dry.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:35 PM   #26
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
If you do it this way, you are missing out on the smart charger system that actively maintains your batteries. The charger will automatically cycle through a routine that desulfates the batteries, as well as maintains a safe and full charge on the batteries. We full time, and use RV/Marine maintenance free batteries and got a full six years out of our last pair of batteries, and in that six years had to do nothing but occasional checking the terminals on the batteries.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #27
luve2race

M.O.C. #24525
I had similar issue and my transfer switch went out on shore power side. Only way to get power was to run the generator.
luve2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #28
David.wolfe55

M.O.C. #26211
no power

I have a second battery switch in my compartment where you hook up your cable and wafter. I have a 376 fl.
David.wolfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #29
David.wolfe55

M.O.C. #26211
I have a 376 fl and has a second battery switch in the compartment where you hook up your water and cable.
David.wolfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #30
Herm1

M.O.C. #15718
No 12 volt power

Had the same problem. As it turns out after installing a new battery I had no 12 volt power. Long story short the cable from the battery to the rig was broken. Easy to diagnose with a multimeter. Purchased a new cable and voila we have our 12 volts back.
Simple solution to the confusing battery disconnect switch.
See photo.
Herm1 is offline   Reply With Quote