Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
flyaplane

M.O.C. #7587
Hydraulic Hose need to replace or repair.

I need to replace a 31' hydraulic hose on my Montana. The hose completely blew out of the crimped fitting.

On the hose is PN 300-04-450. 2200 PSI 1/4" ID (inside diameter) and also the number 08303. I need to either replace the entire hose or to have someone replace the fittings to the existing hose which appears to be in good shape. Problem is I do not know what fitting(s) to buy. There are so many choices.

flyaplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I would, at least, have a hydraulic professional pass opinion on that unless you have that capability.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Take the hose to an auto parts store that makes up hydraulic hoses. They will have fittings that will fit. Have them make you a new hose. We had the extend hose (orange) bubble up next to a fitting going to the manifold from the pump. The store made me a new 6,000 psi hose with the fittings for slightly more than $20. Took them maybe 10 minutes to make the hose. Do not use any sealant when installing the new hose either, as the tapered fittings are the seal for the fluid. Just reread your post, is the hose 31 feet or 31 inches? If feet, it will be more than $20 , but I would still opt for a new hose instead of messing with the old one. The store that made mine didn't carry flimsy hose like the one that failed or the fittings either.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
flyaplane

M.O.C. #7587
What I really would like to do is buy an exact replacement. Hose and fittings. Install it myself. I have so far been unable to find anyone who has it. RV dealers nor online. I can have one made with new hose and fittings but I need to know what fitting.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The store that made mine was able to look at the old fittings on the hose I brought in and made the new hose with the proper fittings. Only difference is, the new hose is larger in diameter than the old, and in my case, the new one is 6,000 psi instead of the 3,000 psi one that was original. This auto parts store serves the farming community, and had no problem making a new hose, and it fit perfectly.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Apparently you are able to remove the fitting from the end where it broke. Take that fitting to an automotive shop that makes hoses, have them determine what it is and if they can make a new hose. If they can do the job then purchase a fitting that will screw into your old fitting and have a welding shop weld a washer in it so you can fasten a piece of metal close line or boat winch cable to it.

Put this on the good end of your hose and using enough close line or boat winch cable pull the old line out from the bad end and then unfasten the fitting from the old line.

Take the old line to the automotive shop and have them reproduce it. Then using the fitting with the close line or boat winch cable pull the new line back in place.

I have done this on hydraulic cranes and excavators where the line goes thru the frame work in order to avoid hours of disassembly to change a line.

If in fact the pressure rating on your hose is only 3,000 lb I would recommend having the new line made from a higher rated hose.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I would replace both hoses instead just one as you will replacing the other one as it is not a great hose either. I had to replace mine last fall.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
flyaplane

M.O.C. #7587
Thanks to all for your advise. All very good.

I have now removed the old hose. I did duck tape a long piece of heavy gauge wire to one end before I pull it through. Absolutely no issues. The wire remains to be ready to pull the new hose back through. The length is 31 feet. This is a hose that runs from the pump manifold in the nose to the rear of the fiver where the hose separated from its fitting attached to the slide out piston.

After close inspection of the hose I will definitely replace the entire hose. Abrasion has caused the outer cover of the hose to wear down to the next layer in some spots. My hoses are rated a only 2200 PSI. I'm going to take your advise and buy stronger hose. Not only that one but I will replace them all. (Why not, since I already spent several hours removing a large section of the underbelly to be able to get to them?

I'll check locally to find the hoses/fittings and have them made.

Thanks again.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We replaced all of the hoses in our 06 3400. The first one blew out in less than 6 months.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
flyaplane

M.O.C. #7587
I am stuck at home with an open slide out with a busted hydraulic hose. There is no way to pull in the slide in my 2003 Montana without hydraulics other than get a team of people to push it in. I am searching feverishly for replacement hose and fitting. Camping world is totally useless. They cannot/will not tell me the type of female fitting I need. They just say call Keystone. Keystone says call an authorized dealer. I believe it is a JIC 37 degree flare but not sure. Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Go to a truck place that makes up hydraulic lines. Take your old hose with you. Or, call a mobile tech and he'll do what I stated.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Russ ... like stated, you'll need to take it to a place that makes hydraulic hoses or get a mobile tech that has capability of making hoses (good luck on that one). Even if you bought the JIC hose end, you'll need a hydraulic press with the correct crimping die to make it up ... the fitting is not a just place it on the end of the hose deal. Like also said ... go to a farm implement dealer, a large truck service center, or maybe a place like NAPA to get a hose made. To own a complete set of dies, fittings, raw hose stock, and hydraulic crimper runs into a pile of money and not many places want to make the outlay for an occasional hose order. There is a high pressure two piece screw together hose end that one can install himself, but I'm not close to our vendor parts books to give the manufacturer or specifics.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Russ here are a couple of links to the hose end you need for either field repair or crimped on.

Field Repair (Parker) http://ph.parker.com/us/17573/en/51-...-4-4-20651-4-4

Crimp On (Lippert) http://store.lci1.com/hydraulic-hose...ting-p400.aspx

I would think some farm machinery places would be able to either put a new end on for you or replace the hose with the correct ends. They are JIC (Joint Industry Conference) 1/4" 37 degree flared swivel ends.

I believe the hose used by Lippert is Thermosplastic hose and is used in medium pressure hydraulic systems. You can certainly go up to a steel braid rubber hose as long as the fitting is 1/4" JIC 37 deg flare.

I live in a small town and there are at least 4 places here that I could get the hose replaced or repaired, surely there is a hydraulic shop in your area.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #14
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Get on the phone and call all the auto parts stores until you find one that makes hoses. Take the entire hose with you including the end that came off and they will make a new one for you.

Phil P
Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 AM   #15
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
The slides have a horizontal square bar with gears on each end mated with rack gears. With a bad hose could you not take a big adjustable wrench and turn the square bar and crank the slides in? If that wont work I guess having the problem in camp ground would be a real bummer.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by psomers

The slides have a horizontal square bar with gears on each end mated with rack gears. With a bad hose could you not take a big adjustable wrench and turn the square bar and crank the slides in? If that wont work I guess having the problem in camp ground would be a real bummer.
That maybe would work but you’re going to have a real mess with the hydraulic fluid that comes out of the port with no hose on it.

Phil P
Old 06-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Put a bucket under it. This is emergency situation time. In camp ground needing to get slide in you do what you got to do. Didn't mean that was ideal way to do it.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #18
flyaplane

M.O.C. #7587
Solved. Thanks for all the input. This factory hose had several spots where outer cover was abraded off. Hose burst at the slide cylinder fitting. Other hoses appear just fine. Went overboard and bought high quality Parker 451 Tough Cover hose. Had local dealer (Hydradyne) make it with the proper fittings. Triple slide are functioning normally now. While underneath with the underbelly removed I noticed a secton in the center of the RV with soaking wet insulation under the floor. Not on to troubleshoot to find the cause and replace the wet insulation with new batts. Sub floor is not showing signs of rot so the issue must have occurred recently. Wondering about the clear plastic underneath the fiberglass batts. Is it just to hold the batt. If it was a vapor barrier is should be on TOP of the batts, right?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #19
747mule
Established Member

M.O.C. #11918
Had to replace 2 hose on my 2011 tht. 4 bad creeped ins.hoses are cheap made.
747mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #20
TeanawayRV

M.O.C. #26516
Montana Mountaineer - Hydraulic Hose Length

I blew a hydraulic hose this weekend when pulling in my slide-outs. The hose blew just a few feet from the pump so I cut it off and have that end. The problem is I was already about an hour late getting home and didn't have time to get under the trailer to find the other end so I know how long of hose I need. If I can get the length I know where I can get the hose made. I called Keystone and they couldn't help.

My RV is a 2004 28' Montana Mountaineer.

Thanks,

Bill
TeanawayRV is offline   Reply With Quote