Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > THE TRADING POST A MOC MARKET PLACE > Trailers, Tow Vehicles & RV related items for Sale
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Curious..

When selling are most people using NADA to find what the unit is worth and price somewhere between the low and high point..?

Does anyone have any tips to sell quick..? Rvtrader...anything else reputable..?

Thanks
Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Nada guides is what I used the last time to set the price on our old RV. As for a quick sale list it everywhere and make it competitively priced and it should sell.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I also use Camping World since frequently somewhere in the country they have a rig of the same type. That and the NADA give me a good idea of what they're worth and what they are selling for.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
I also use Camping World since frequently somewhere in the country they have a rig of the same type. That and the NADA give me a good idea of what they're worth and what they are selling for.
CW....yuk lol. My unit goes for 62-74 that’s a pretty good high low spread....
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 07-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Absolutely NADA as that is what the banks rely on! In most cases, people have to get a loan to buy a camper new or used. That being the case, they are confined by the banks lending rules which usually stipulate 80% of NADA value on used purchase and typically they will only collateralize a unit that is less than 10 years old (IE: older than that and you have to use alternate collateral to secure the loan).

In general it is difficult to sell a camper less than 5 years old without taking a significant depreciation loss. 5-10 years old you may fair better and over 10 you start getting into cash sale, what the market (or buyer) will bear.

Banks themselves could care less about the condition of the unit, short of it being a complete disaster. They won't differentiate between a very clean unit and one that the owners lived full time, smoked and had a pee happy puppy. About 99% of the time they never even see the unit much less inspect it. That only matters to the actual buyers. A clean unit will sell faster but it won't bring any more money in most cases. Of course that is all out the window if your trading the unit.

What I am getting at is: drop all your sentimental value and treat it like a business deal because NO ONE ELSE CARES. That may sound harsh but its the truth. Nobody else made those memories in the rig or labored for hours maintaining it. On the open market your unit is not worth any more than the one just like it down the road. You may say I am ugly for having said the above but sometimes it is better to give folks the bitter truth so they don't have unrealistic expectations.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Exactly sentimental feelings about anything has no value when selling an object, that can be anything. Unless we’re talking a short run low number classic but this is not that situation. Using NADA number I think I’m in good shape. Just the value of what it’s worth. I would say it’s an honest assessment not ugly. My feelings or yours mean nothing the buyer needs to fall for this unit.

Tony
Old 07-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In addition to all the usual places I would also list it on Facebook marketplace and Nextdoor.com. On both you can list it in the for sale section for your general area.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Check with a consignment dealer about an expected selling price. We recently sold our Montana using FB Marketplace. Had to weed through a few low ballers but the right person did come along. Consignment dealers usually charge 10% if they sell but FB Marketplace is free.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
The last two RV's i sold NADA was more than $20K below what I ended up selling for and both sold in a couple weeks.

Look most folks buying large 5th wheels if they are financing they likely have large down payments so the bank argument is weak and rarely a problem for that reason. NADA is a national guide for RV so it does not take into regional demands, for example the same Montana in The NW will sell for more than the same in the Midwest or Southwest.

Markets are set by others for sale try and be close to the lowest of the collective others for sale. Also note private sale will often yield lower sale price than dealer sales.

You are approaching the end of the buying season, whereas dealers are dumping last year models in anticipation of next year models coming in over the winter. The new sales market also influences the used market as that same $75K 5er in MAY could be $55K in Sept and Oct.

I have bought 3 RV in 3 years (2 Class A and 1 5er) and sold two class A's all sold and purchased between Sept and Jan Fortunately my sales were both to snowbirds and both Class A's were high demand models. NADA does not take seasons into consideration...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Yes, I just sold my Arctic Fox trailer and purchased a one year old 5th wheel. Both were private party sales and both sales had financing involved. In both cases the lender needed a NADA report to determine the worth of the trailer for the purpose of determining the loan / down payment to value ratios.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
It is a bit odd, but when I'm selling NADA prices are way to low but when I'm buying they are far to high.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
NADA is a good starting point as you'll be looking at what the bank will look at. Then check RV dealers in your area to see what they are asking. It also depends on how quickly you want to sell. Right now RV sales are pretty hot and most dealers are low on inventory so take that into consideration. A friend in my golf league whose wife passed in Feb decided to sell his rig. Checked NADA and sold both truck and 5er to the first caller at his asking price with no dickering. I would go a bit above NADA and see what offers you get.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
NADA is a good starting point as you'll be looking at what the bank will look at. Then check RV dealers in your area to see what they are asking. It also depends on how quickly you want to sell. Right now RV sales are pretty hot and most dealers are low on inventory so take that into consideration. A friend in my golf league whose wife passed in Feb decided to sell his rig. Checked NADA and sold both truck and 5er to the first caller at his asking price with no dickering. I would go a bit above NADA and see what offers you get.
Banks only reference NADA for Financed amount so unless you are financing 100% do not even bother with Nada. In fact when I financed our last Class A (2017 Bounder) 2 years ago my CU just gave me a check then I went out and picked my RV without EVER letting them know what model I was buying. I then sold that Class a for $22k over NADA that was 2019 before I bought my Montana. The year before that I sold my previous Class A (2014 Bounder for nearly $30K over NADA. The market (current sales) sets the price not NADA.

You also have to look at what the lowest price is for new models and then calculate that as well.

When I bought my current Montana NADA had the value at a 48% loss compared to MSRP and that was 6 months after it sold new. While RVs depreciate not at that rate. NADA is a Joke.

Again Market determines sales.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote