Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
In Idaho when you are in a 36 zone and see the 55 comming up you do not pick up speed until the sign has been passed. This question came up in a lot of Driver Ed meetings (32 years) and that was always the response from the ISP.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PapaBeav

Let me tell you how picky some of them are getting. I was with a couple of friends up by Clearlake Ca on Sunday when we came across someone doing about 45mph in a 55mph zone. It was a 2-lane road with a long straight away. My friend decided to pass and when he was almost around the car a Hwy Patrol Car was come around the corner in the opposite direction. He apparently had his radar on and turned around to pull us over. My friend got a ticket for doing 65 in a 55. So what was he suppose to do while passing, 55. I told him to fight it because we all thought it was BS.

When on a two lane road and you are doing a legal pass you can go as fast as you want just so you don't exceed the posted speed limit.
What would be the problem passing a car at 55 when the car you're passing is only doing 45,you're still with in the speed limit of 55. The officer was right,65 would be speeding!
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 AM   #23
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
My 2 cents to all this is

1) I don't have a problem passing a police officer that is going slower than the posted speed. On a four lane that is. I don't have enough xxxxx to do it on a two lane. Haven't been pulled over yet.

2) Going down the highway at 65-70 in a 65. Officer in the median shooting radar. And everbody slows down to like 55. As I pass everybody as we are passing the officer you should see the looks I get from the people I am passing. Like they can't believe I am doing this. Me and my wife look at each other and just grin. Oh yeah, 2 miles down the road everybody is passing me at - oh we will just say FAST.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
shouldn't P me off, but it does, when our local K.C. Mo. Police speed everywhere they go, knowing they are immune to enforcement of speeding laws. Sue and I were on the road yesterday, a patrol car with two officers sped past us, they were casually talking back and forth. I estimate they were doing 70 or so in a 55. Happens all the time.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #25
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I've been told by more than one CHP officers here in CA, to follow the 5 to 9 rule. 5 you're fine 9 you're mine. You got to remember that this is CA. Driver here will pass a CHP officer in a 65 mph zone, while the, while the officer is doing 70-72 mph. Average speed on a 70 mph highway, 80+
Not me.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:48 AM   #26
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
A couple of years ago this came up in the Kansas Legislature; there is no leeway officially in Kansas. However, less than 5mph over the speed limit, you get a ticket but no points towards (against) your insurance; 5 to 10 mph over - ticket plus 2 pts against insurance. More than 10 over, much higher fine and additional points -- actually classified as 'reckless driving' I believe it was instead of speeding. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, that extra little 2 pt kicker keeps you paying and paying (higher insurance rates) for 3 years or more in this fine state.

As for question of increasing speed - took a Defensive Driving class last year (for the insurance break) and one of the questions on the exam was this very topic and the rule here is that the lower speed limit is in effect until you pass the new sign; therefore do not speed up until you pass the sign.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #27
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

I have read these posts with a smile. In thirty years of LE, I have encountered all of these situations and even been on the other side. One time I was passing a slower vehicle and got back in the lane. As I was slowing, a trooper passed, turned and stopped me. He kept asking what I was doing and I was tired enough I didnt remember to tell him about the pass. He wrote me a ticket and then found I was a cop. He was p&$# I didnt say anything. Told him my job didnot give me the right to speed. Anyway, Like a few other posts, the state you drive in is the deciding factor regarding how the laws are enforced.

When I was working on a Federal traffic Safety team here in WA state, it was the 0 tolerance thing. Everyone was cited no matter what. We had to justify to the Feds why we didnt. Needles to say, I gave that up as officer discretion is everything.

Rule of Thumb for most areas of WA state are as follows:

1. Most officers wont stop you for under 10 over. With the difference in speedometers, 2 or three miles per hour are hard for a motorist to know, but most people know when they are going 10 over. Exception is radar detector. If you have one or those who cleverly cover with a ball cap (note the cord coming out and going to the power plug) you will most likely get cited for all violations as you have been given a pass before (alarm going off).

2. The exception is near the State Patrol academy. This is the training grounds for new, eager troopers and most will stop and cite for 5 over. Got stopped once in that area for 5 over and the FTO (trooper in the car) recognized me. We had a laugh with this snot nosed kid wondering what to do. I degress...

3. Speed changes, Most of you are correct, when going from city to hiway, you legally have to pass the sign before you can go that speed. Most officers will recognize if you are in between the speeds within a block or so, you are OK. Entering a slower speed zone is different. It used to be while traveling along at 55 and all the sudden you see a 35 zone, either you slam on the brakes or risk being cited. Now they have signs to advise of the new speed zones and you have to be slowing to that limit in those zones.

I do know that not all states or even counties have the same 'general' rules. I have seen plenty of small towns where the officer is sitting at the speed change sign. These tickets are easy to contest as they are actually reading your speed in the other zone.

Just my two cents worth
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #28
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Relating to the original post above; this was on the news here in Arizona last night. The State will be clamping down on any lee way that was originally allowed for speeders; simply no more 5 mph allowances; should be interesting.
Also the city of Phoenix has added a food tax of 2% on all food; IMHO I think this is becoming a world of inflation,inflation, inflation. Where's the Good Ole Days??
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #29
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I believe VA is a no tolerance state. I judge this by the truckers.. they will be pushing 5-7 over speed limit til they hit VA, then they drive the speed limit... I always figure they know something I don't. When I was younger I would have push my luck, but now I find it is easier to just drive the speed limit.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #30
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If I drove the speed limit here in Nebraska (75 mph) with the Monte in tow I'd blow the tires and not have a Monte left. I-80 has that limit on it and many of the truckers use it but most stay at around 70 or so. I won't do it, I value my Monte to much for that! I will worn you of one spot on I-80 here however! IF you are appoaching Hamilton County in Nebraska you better be doing the speed limit! This is one rough county for speeders and the State Patrol and Sheriffs Officers set up both in the median and on an overpass and run the radar heavily. The median traps are usually just past an overpass of a railroad track or similiar spots. I can verify this because I had a brother in the State Patrol and used to ride with him every so often and they would run 6packs(1 radar car and 5 chase cars) or even just a single car in the late evenings or early morning hours!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #31
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I'm not encouraging anyone to run 75 while towing, but I can speak from experience. The tires will not blow at sustained 75 MPH speeds. At least mine never have. I've pulled 600 miles non-stop (except for fuel) at those speeds many times with no issues. I do intend to slow it down in the future though. Fuel mileage and safety are on my mind these days thanks to the MOC and my father in law! By gosh I'm going to stay under 65 form now on.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #32
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Relating to the original post above; this was on the news here in Arizona last night. The State will be clamping down on any lee way that was originally allowed for speeders; simply no more 5 mph allowances; should be interesting.
Also the city of Phoenix has added a food tax of 2% on all food; IMHO I think this is becoming a world of inflation,inflation, inflation. Where's the Good Ole Days??

Speaking of Arizona, What about the photo enforcement zones? How do they ticket you? Rumor has it that there is no leeway. Do they send you a ticket in the mail? If we're not home and I don't get the ticket will I be arrested? Nobody really seems to know. I realize that they give you notice before you get to it and always make sure that I'm going the speed limit or less but sometimes you can start to speed up before you should. Whoops,too fast. Don't know if I got a ticket yet, been gone four mont
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #33
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is a good question, it will be interesting to find out about the 'grace' 5 mph over deal.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #34
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
If photo radar is anything like red light cameras you will not be arrested for not paying the fine. On most red light cameras they are owned and operated by a private company. Because they are a private company they issue you a "invoice", they would have to be a law enforcement agency in order to issue you a "fine". If you fail to pay the "invoice" they will take you to civil court NOT criminal or traffic court. If a civil judgment is issued and you fail to pay, a lien will be placed on your property in that state but not an arrest warrant.

A good friend of mine got a red light camera invoice from a trip to California. The invoice did not seem right so he called a buddy of his back in California (Larry is retired LEO from California). The first thing his buddy told him was re-read all they sent him. That they sent him a invoice and not a fine. Then his buddy asked if he still owned any property in California. Since Larry no longer owns any property in California, his buddy said to disguard it and not worry about it. While the company did send several invoices that were never paid they then sent it to a collection agency. For a $75 invoice the collection agency only sent a few letters before then gave up. I am assuming that the reason they never went to get a civil judgment done was the court cost were more than the invoice total. Then add the expense of getting a Texas court to recognize a California judgment and the odds are he still would not pay. They would spend far more than they would ever collect. Too much work for $75.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #35
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Be very careful on the advice about red light tickets or invoices. Most jurisdictions will not let it drop. In most areas I am familiar with here in WA state, if you dont pay, it goes to collections and a notice is sent to DOL (Dept. of Licensing). If you have any FTA's (fail to appear) or FTP (fail to pay) you cannot get tabs or a drivers license renewed and if you get so many, they suspend your license.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #36
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
And the officer said to the young feller who he has just stopped for speeding" Didn't you know I was up here waiting for you ?" And the young speeder said " Yes sir and I got here just as fast as I could. "
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #37
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
The movable "photo enforcement zones" are attached to a Arizona Highway Patrol car sitting along side of the road with a bunch of cameras attached to it. Don't think it's a private contractor.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #38
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
One of the biggest arguments happening in Arizona is the government owned-contractor operated (GOCO) photo enforcement zones. The state government owns the vehicles. The contractor rents the photo and connected radar equipment. Most of them are set to only trigger the camera when you are high enough above the speed limit to be considered dangerous. That is anywhere between 5 and 10 MPH over.

If you are photographed, the ticket is mailed to the address associated with the plate. By the way, since AZ only has the rear plate the photo is taken after you pass the vehicle.

Locally, the word is, "Hire a lawyer." You will probably get off with a good lawyer and the cost of the legal beagle will be less than your fine plus increased insurance rates, plus driving points, plus...plus....

I really like this quote, "A man who represents himself, has a fool for a client."
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #39
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I like the quote, and do believe in hiring professionals.
But I wonder, will a prosecutor give you the same deal if you represent yourself, plead guilty to a lesser charge, defective equipment or such? and a follow-up question, if not, why not? (Aside from the too-easy answer of Lawyers sticking together)
Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #40
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Thanks Brad for the clarification. I asked a lot of people and nobody seemed to know. We have a short connecter freeway in Michigan that we call the "Michigan Autobahn" that state police set up laser cameras but they were ruled unconstitutional and were never used.