Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
"I'm so excited..." (Pointer Sisters)

I'll spare you the rest of the song... but you can hum along while you're reading this...

I am picking up our tv tomorrow. While I have had several 4x4 pickups and SUVs in my life (trading one in tomorrow), I have never owned a diesel before. I am picking up a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A (LB7) 4x4 EC LB. It has 124K on it. The dealership I bought it from is the one who sold it new (one owner truck). If a leaf landed on it, he took it back to this dealer for service - terrific service records.

I am buying this from a old friend who plans on camping with us (he and his wife have a Salem 5ver). I was able to get this vehicle at $8K under book.

Injectors just changed 2K miles ago. Seems to be a great buy. Below is the DieselPlace.com VIN run that they do for free...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...31#post1128531

Never thought of putting any tuners on my Duramax, but the diesel forums are addicting...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Congratulations Dave, Sounds like a great TV and it is nice to see all your plans coming together. Best of luck and we look forward to hearing when your new Montana shows up.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Questions: OK, What are these options supposed to mean??? I can read GMese...

FT3 - ARM TORS BAR SPRING ADJ
6GL - SPRING COMPTR SELECT FRT LH
7GL - SPRING COMPTR SELECT FRT RH
Old 06-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
FT3- torsion bar arm and springs adjusted
6GL- front left spring replacement
7GL- front right spring replacement

On Edit~
CONGRATS!! I cant wait to see pictures...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dave!

On the options - why do the list those like that??? It sounds like after it comes off the line, they then adjust the torsion bar arm and springs, replace the front springs - and they are so proud of doing this that they list it as an option??? I don't understand...
Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I do not think these are an options, they sound more like repairs that were done while the truck was in service. But I have been wrong before....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Dave, Congrats on the new TV. Hope to see some pictures soon. Boys & their toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it is the blue one you posted... Love the color.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, John - Picts tomorrow!

Dave, I believe if you look at the listing, I think these are supposed to be all "ordered option codes". I don't think they are repairs - those are listed in the first section. I could be wrong, but I assumed that last box of listings is what was ordered before the truck was built... Am I looking at that wrong? Maybe...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I bet it means that it has Adjustable torsion bars and the springs codes are how heavy they are. The springs are computer selected according to how the truck was equipped and how much it is going to weigh.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That Dave is good news knowing and understanding the obstacles you have overcome to get this Tv not to mention the camper. Forum folks...This guy never gives up..Helen and I are proud of you Dave..Looking forward to our get-to-gether.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich! You already know that your encouragement was key to my breaking through the "walls" that popped up. Dave (Montana Sky) also lended support at critical times. It's good to have wise counsel from good friends who are willing to take their time to step up to the plate and really encourage someone to keep going against the odds, when they themselves have no personal stake in the outcome. Many wouldn't do that, and have a "That's his problem, I've got my own problems to worry about" approach. Thanks, again.

I have found the nothing is impossible - regardless of what bankers will tell you. The power of a Dream is greater than the facts...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, here's our new truck. It never dawned on me (husbands - listen up here!) that because we traded in Cheryl's Blazer on this that she would consider this HER truck... I laughed when I pulled in the driveway with it and she said this. Then I could tell by the look on her face that she was not trying to be humorous. Apparently, I misread the whole situation, so now I'm trying to figure out how to get this back to "OUR" truck...

Anyway, while I'm trying to figure this out, and still be able to eat, here are the pics...

[s]Tinypic.com is returning my color pic as B/W for some reason. when I resize, so your getting the full blown version for now. I'll get more pics and work on Tinypic tomorrow.[/s]

*On Edit~ OK. Fixed. My Irfanview is screwed up somehow. I switched to HP Image (my resident "photoshop" on my HP laptop) and resized, then posted to Tinypic. Worked as it should. Irfanview was taking my color images and converting them to B/W. I must of inadvetantly changed a setting... Doesn't matter now, though...

Old 06-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Plan on taking off the Coopers that came on the truck. They are 265/75/16. I don't need the big size, or aggressive tread. I think standard is 245/75/16. Good all-season tires would be good for me. A LOT less road noise. Nice tires, but I can't hear the Duramax over the tire noise.... Also, not sure how this is affecting the speedometer?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #14
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
I hope that Cheryl likes her new truck. I'm sure that she will take very good care of it, and enjoy driving it while pulling the monty.

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don't encourage her, Vernon! She's already thinking that she might try to pull the Monty. That's good, but for the wrong reason. She thinks that she should learn because this is HER truck, not because she thinks it would be good to know in an emergency...

How in the world did this predicament ever happen??? I was planning on trading both my Park Ave and Cheryl's Blazer. This would have made the situation at least neutral. I pulled the P.A. out of the deal at the last moment to make the numbers work better, not even thinking that this would IMMEDIATELY shift Cheryl's thinking now to a "MY TRUCK" situation. Guess I wasn't thinking...

Now I need to ask PERMISSION to drive MY truck??? I'll figure something out...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nice truck..now you need a 3400 behind it..You need to get the Irfanview program to resize the photo's..real easy to use.Think it is in Glenn's links...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #17
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Dave you have your work cut out for you. My wife could care less about my new truck till she drove it a few times. Now all I hear is how she wants a diesel truck like mine. I told her to wait till this one gets a few more miles on it and I get new one and she can have this one The bad thing is, I have this one set up the way I want to pull the Monty and I really don't want to part with it now. Anyway, good luck with the new truck and the wife. Heck who knows, maybe she'll even let you drive it from time to time...lol
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Gonfishin. So far I was able to drive it home from the dealership. Cheryl hadn't even seen it throughout my negotiations with the dealership these last two weeks - dealership is 40 miles away. The first time she saw it was the last time I drove it... She surely will get tired of doing all the driving sooner or later... right? Right???

Rich, I used the Irfanview program, as I always do. It was after I "resized", then posted it to Tinypic.com, that I had trouble. Usually don't have a problem. I play with it tomorrow. Told the wife she had to pose in a bikini on the hood of the truck... sounds like we'll be getting a standin... She wanted me to find a model on the internet, then paste her face on that. Fine with me. I'll be doing that for me too... Just call me Dave Schwarzenegger... I'll be back (you'll have to imagine the accent...)
Old 06-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #19
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
I am in a situation similar to gonfishin, I convinced my wife that we should trade her Envoy in at the end of 2007 to get me a new dodge dually. At first she didn't want any part of it, but as she has driven my truck more and more, she is now rushing me to trade. I don't really need the 1 ton, but I figure if I get the itch by then, I might as well get the extra 2 wheels!
bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #20
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Dave I had some coopers with nearly the same tread pattern as those on my last truck. What I did was pick up a extra set of wheels just for the coopers and ran them during the iowa winters. I had real tall skinny coopes put on the extra set and just rotated them off in the spring. I am a few years away from being able to head south when the white stuff starts to fly so I have to have something that will get me around yet. Not sure what your plans are for this winter but thought it might be worth a thought. Nice looking truck too. I really like the GMC front end better than the Chevy.

You will gain more pulling power going to a shorter tire. I don't have all the numbers in my head, but I do know that going down an inch or so to 245's will be like going from 3.55 gears to 3.73's
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote